What's your favorite quote?

"But man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eye laments the past, or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoe to foresee the future. He cannot be happy and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time."

~Emerson
DGE, I'm not sure whether to hug you or call you names for that one... but thank you. A lot.

It may be an unwise man that doesn't learn from his own mistakes but it's an absolute idiot that doesn't learn from other people's. - Frasier
LOL - Truer words were never spoken! And one of the first lesson of the youngest child... ;)
 
Serious- Shared pain is halved, shared joy is doubled. Spider Robinson

Fun- I love you because your my sister, I laugh because there's nothing you can do about it. Unknown
 
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it. - Anonymous

Living proof of this one. Le sigh
 
Today is a double serious day:

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." ~Isaac Asimov

And most importantly...
This above all: to thine ownself be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
~William Shakespeare, Hamlet Act 1. Scene III

:heart:
 
pablo neruda.

That man puts poetry into sex, or sex into poetry... hell, I don't know. reading him is just like masturbating.

I will check that out. Those are all things I really like; if I drink while reading it, I don't know if I'll be able to leave the house, ever.

DGE, I'm not sure whether to hug you or call you names for that one... but thank you. A lot.

The whole passage is even better.

Scroll about halfway down, to "Man is timid and apologetic..." It's ironic, of course, that I am quoting an Emerson passage where Emerson decries the quotation of sages. But fuck it, I claim that bit of conformity as my non-comformity. ;)
 
Lazarus Long quotes

there are the three in my sig line but I have many Robert Heinlein quotes that I love.

Darling, a true lady takes off her dignity with her clothes and does her whorish best. At other times you can be as modest and dignified as your persona requires.

Masturbation is cheap, clean, convenient, and free of any possibility of wrongdoing — and you don't have to go home in the cold. But it's lonely.

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them. Humoring them costs nothing and adds happiness in a world in which happiness is always in short supply.
 
The only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked ...my philosophy teacher
 
Imagination is more important than Knowledge...A.Einstein

Makes me feel really smart cause I have a vivid imagination...LOL
 
The only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked ...my philosophy teacher
But asking enough questions will only serve to annoy the professor. And, if it's the right kind of questions, confuse one's classmates.
:eek:



Next up for me:

Courage looks you straight in the eye. She is not impressed with power-trippers, and she knows first aid. Courage is not afraid to weep, and she is not afraid to pray, even when she is not sure who she is praying to. When she walks, it is clear she has made the journey from loneliness to solitude. The people who told me she was stern were not lying; they just forgot to mention that she was kind.
~J. Ruth Gendler

.........

Remember, once the pin is pulled, Mr. Hand Grenade is no longer your friend!
 
Susan B. Anthony

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."
 
This made me chuckle enough to confuse the children:

"You might argue that my example is bad because Einstein is dead. But according to physicist Erwin Schrodinger, Einstein is neither dead nor alive until we dig him up and open the casket. If he's alive, he might want his brain back, which I understand is in a Ziplock bag in some guy's freezer. And this is a perfect example of why examples always distract from the main point."
— Scott Adams.
 
""I came," she said, "hoping you could talk me out of a fantasy."
Cherish it!" cried Hilarious, fiercely. "What else do any of you have? Hold it tightly by it's little tentacle, don't let the Freudians coax it away or the pharmacists poison it out of you. Whatever it is, hold it dear, for when you lose it you go over by that much to the others. You begin to cease to be."

— Thomas Pynchon (The Crying of Lot 49)
 
Okay, two of the most profound quotes I've ever read, both by the same great human being...John Lennon.
1) "If you dream a dream alone, it's only a dream. If you dream a dream together...it's reality."

2) " if everyone in the world demanded peace, instead of a new TV set, there would be peace."

Funny quotes;
1) "I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury."- Groucho Marx
2) "Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas."- Groucho Marx
3) "Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog...well it's too dark to read."- Groucho Marx
 
Quotable Quotes

Okay, two of the most profound quotes I've ever read, both by the same great human being...John Lennon.
1) "If you dream a dream alone, it's only a dream. If you dream a dream together...it's reality."

2) " if everyone in the world demanded peace, instead of a new TV set, there would be peace."

Funny quotes;
1) "I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury."- Groucho Marx
2) "Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas."- Groucho Marx
3) "Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog...well it's too dark to read."- Groucho Marx
 
I appreciated this one

You'll never forget your first lover so try to make it someone you won't regret thinking about. Ruth Westheimer
 
Albert Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
 
Back
Top