Dominate is a VERB; Dominant is a NOUN

Personally I find the incorrect use of the word "dominate" (I am a Dominate! Bow to me now!) very helpful to quickly decide whether to keep a message in my inbox or delete it straightaway. It saves me lots of time. lol

And ... now the secret is out. :rolleyes:

And ... now the secret is out. :rolleyes:

Oops. Sorry. I didn't read the back of my Secret Submissive Society membership card thoroughly enough. :eek: Hopefully most of the "Dominates" out there aren't reading this thread. ::crosses fingers:: lol

Language evolves. Ten million internet perverts have deemed "dominate" a noun, and now it's a noun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_description

Well, its one half of a compound noun, if that's what they are called--"Dominant personality." We've shortened it. Now people have forgotten that the other half was "personality" and they seem to think it was always "Dominant man." :rolleyes:

Another one is the word "Attitude," as in "She has an attitude." I remember the first time I heard that -- "What? What attitude does she have, good? Bad? Sunny?"

Well, its one half of a compound noun, if that's what they are called--"Dominant personality." We've shortened it. Now people have forgotten that the other half was "personality" and they seem to think it was always "Dominant man." :rolleyes:

Another one is the word "Attitude," as in "She has an attitude." I remember the first time I heard that -- "What? What attitude does she have, good? Bad? Sunny?"

Maybe her pitch or yaw are off-level?

Language evolves but natural selection eventually kicks in, otherwise; hey dominates can you dominant this sub with attitude?

On a similar line, it always brings me up short when I hear the Americanism, 'Crowds protested the building of a new canning factory in Alaskan wilderness'. To protest something, like one's innocence, is to proclaim it. What is meant is that they protested against something, but the loss of that vital word is increasingly common even in British English. And don't get me started on 'I could care less'...

Oops. Sorry. I didn't read the back of my Secret Submissive Society membership card thoroughly enough. :eek: Hopefully most of the "Dominates" out there aren't reading this thread. ::crosses fingers:: lol

Always read the small print.

Personally I find the incorrect use of the word "dominate" (I am a Dominate! Bow to me now!) very helpful to quickly decide whether to keep a message in my inbox or delete it straightaway. It saves me lots of time. lol

Same here. It certainly does save time!!

Language evolves. Ten million internet perverts have deemed "dominate" a noun, and now it's a noun.

Dominate is no more a noun than "should of" is proper grammar.

People mispronounce "dom-i-nAte" as "dom-i-net" and think of it as the noun "dominant".

I doubt anyone, out loud or in their own mind says "I am a dom-i-NATE".

Shhhh!

If we educate them, then it'll be harder to weed out the fake ones!

Sorry about that.

We all must fight the dumbing down of society, though. Think of the children!

Could someone break down the prescriptivist and descriptivist stances regarding "Have you ever been gangbang"

I suspect even the people who use them incorrectly probably know that and don’t catch it when they proofread.

Remember, autocorrect is your worst enema.
Seriously doubt they know the difference

Back