totally off topic - have you vacationed by yourself??

cookiecat

Literotica Guru
I'm thinking about heading on a by myself vacation. Possibly cruising for 7-10 days. Apparently they have solo cabins on some ships so single people don't have to pay crazy prices based on double occupancy.

Might jump in the car and head across the country, visit friends along the way.

Have any of you vacationed by yourself? Have you ever felt unsafe, lonely? Did you have any back-up plans if something went awry?

Just pondering. Looking for advice.

:cattail::cattail:

All the times I've travelled to Europe, I've done so on my own. I'm a really crap tourist, and tend to mostly go to places where I know people, but I also usually end up with a few days on my own. The first time, that included two nights in Rome, where I knew NO one, and I don't speak Roman. Those were two of the best days of my life - being able to roam (ha ha ha) at will, without considering anyone else, was just bliss. On my last trip, I spent days wandering London on the same basis. I spent half an hour sitting in front of one painting in the art gallery, because that's what I wanted to do.

Travelling India with my tiny family was magical ... but travelling alone definitely has it's perks.
And with FaceBook, and wifi everywhere, you're never lonely. As I've gotten older, I've also gotten a lot better at striking up conversations with random strangers.

kittiGoddess said:
Thank you for the first laugh of the day, don't speak Roman. It must be wonderful to be so stupid,

I'm pretty confident that Cookie will understand that was a joke ... unlike, apparently, some people. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
if you approach people with a positive and respectful attitude you tend to get the same in return.

Thank you for the first laugh of the day, don't speak Roman. It must be wonderful to be so stupid,

hmmmm.

BIT4TTM.gif

Last edited:
I've traveled a great deal on my own, sometimes by choice, sometimes because that was the nature of the situation.

I've traveled many times alone as well. The first time was when I was 17 and spent a couple of weeks traipsing around Europe. I got to know many people, though, so I didn't spend that much of my trip alone.

I've never traveled anywhere not safe, so I've never encountered anything dangerous. Okay, that one night I spent at a train station with homeless people in a small town in Romania was pretty unnerving at first. I was with a friend then, but she was having a total melt-down, so I think I would have been better off alone in the situation. :rolleyes:

I like traveling alone, because it means I don't have to worry about anybody else. It can be a little lonely at times and sometimes not being able to share and reminisce the cool experiences with anybody sucks. Social media helps, but it's still not quite the same.

Back up plans for when things go bad. Hmm. I did stash my passport and credit card in my panties once when I was walking home from a club in a rather iffy neighborhood in Bratislava. Does that count? I have a copy of my passport (and visa if I've needed one) in my email, but that's really the extent of my preparedness.

Most of my recent travels alone have been to visit somebody or to a place I already know well. That's always fun and maybe the most relaxing way for me to travel.

A few tips I might give to someone who travels alone for the first time:

In some places it's not common for people (especially women) to have dinner in a restaurant alone, so be prepared for some odd glances and maybe even questions. Bringing a book or some other form of entertainment can help, if you're not comfortable eating alone. I am fine with it, but surprisingly many of my friends and other people I've talked with for some reason find it uncomfortable.

When I travel alone, I'm more picky about my hotel. I pay a bit more to get a really good location and maybe a nicer roorm. When the location is primo, you're not tempted to stay in the hotel, but on the other hand, if the room is nicer, you'll be more comfortable if you do. And at least when I travel alone, I usually spend more time in my room than I do when I travel with somebody.

I've traveled alone a lot over the years for work and often have an extra afternoon or day to be a tourist. I love those days! I'm a bit of an introvert by nature, and I really enjoy exploring a museum, a city, or a park by myself. I have not really ever felt unsafe or lonely, but most of these travels have been in pretty safe locations. There is something about setting my own agenda and exploring a new place alone that makes me a bit bolder than when I am with others, actually.

Having said that, I've never taken an intentional vacation on my own, unless you count cross-country road trips associated with moves (where I always had a pet with me, and stayed overnight most nights at friends' homes that were along the way).

A few years back, I took a touristy coach trip by myself for a week because I needed a break and Tinglebliss wasn't able to join me. It was fantastic! I made new friends from around the world (I'm still in contact with some of them), saw places that I'd never visited before, and had a mystical experience on a mountain top where I seemed to connect with myself in a way that had never happened before.

I'll add that I'm a strong introvert and I'm not generally comfortable with throwing myself into large groups of strangers without a clear purpose. On this occasion, though, it worked, and it changed my perceptions of my own strengths when interacting with people.

So, yeah, I'll give it an up-vote. ;)

I have never vacationed by myself although I very much hope to someday. I do enjoy vacations where you make some time to go and do your own thing separate from whoever else is there with you.

I’ve traveled by myself, but my destination always included others.

I do enjoy going to NYC alone. Hop on the train and walk around and look at people.
That’s a Daycation.

A few years back, I took a touristy coach trip by myself for a week because I needed a break and Tinglebliss wasn't able to join me. It was fantastic! I made new friends from around the world (I'm still in contact with some of them), saw places that I'd never visited before, and had a mystical experience on a mountain top where I seemed to connect with myself in a way that had never happened before.

I'll add that I'm a strong introvert and I'm not generally comfortable with throwing myself into large groups of strangers without a clear purpose. On this occasion, though, it worked, and it changed my perceptions of my own strengths when interacting with people.

This is really interesting to me. I too had my first "mystical experience" in the mountains. In my case it was up a back-country canyon. I was just a teen at the time, but I believe that moment changed the trajectory of my life. Not sure what it is about mountains and the desert southwest...but it seems that there are special places there.

Cookie, in regard to traveling alone. I have done it, but do not care for it. But, I've had a soulmate since I was young and we have traveled a lot together. So I guess it would depend a lot on who my traveling partner was going to be (as in; alone is much better than being trapped with someone who is driving me crazy). I'm also wired as an introvert, which would seem to make one think I should like to travel alone...but I find it much nicer to have someone to share it with.

Also, in regard to safety; I think it is very much dependent on where you're planning to go. You're probably the only one who can really answer your questions, but hope you have a nice experience wherever you go !

Yes.
I play trombone and go to a place every year that I can play at with others. Long weekend thing.
When I first got divorced, I just took off and went several places. Wondered Michigan and went to Traverse City for New years. Went for the ride on the snow train. Booked the train on Thursday, drove there Friday. Rode Saturday. Met a girl and stayed a few more days. Went to Chicago and Toronto.
I kept doing trips until I met someone I like to take with me.
:):):):):):):)

I think being aware and managing expectations would be key. After my mom died, my dad did something similar, and he was tremendously sad because they had gone on similar trips together and he was actively aware of those memories. I think he also felt alienated from the other couples on board. Everyone’s different: he’s not one to enjoy reading serenely alone, reflecting or refueling in the presence of scenery, and I think he believed the group aspect would be more supportive for him than it was.

I camp and hike alone with regularity, but being alone in the woods is how I get happy.

It’s good you are considering these things.

:heart:

Last edited:

your biography:

Hi IQ but stupid emotionally,I like to read the posts but dont post myself anymore as i am too sensitive to the negativity from some members

I'm pretty confident that Cookie will understand that was a joke ... unlike, apparently, some people. :rolleyes:

:) :cattail:

Thanks, everyone for the input.

After the new year, I'm going to jump in the car with my dog. We'll be snowbirds.

:cattail:

All the times I've travelled to Europe, I've done so on my own. I'm a really crap tourist, and tend to mostly go to places where I know people, but I also usually end up with a few days on my own. The first time, that included two nights in Rome, where I knew NO one, and I don't speak Roman. Those were two of the best days of my life - being able to roam (ha ha ha) at will, without considering anyone else, was just bliss. On my last trip, I spent days wandering London on the same basis. I spent half an hour sitting in front of one painting in the art gallery, because that's what I wanted to do.

Travelling India with my tiny family was magical ... but travelling alone definitely has it's perks.
And with FaceBook, and wifi everywhere, you're never lonely. As I've gotten older, I've also gotten a lot better at striking up conversations with random strangers.

You've been to some great places! The thought of doing what I want, when I want is appealing rather than the group tour.

Nope.

By myself is much more likely to be a stay-cation.

Stay-cations are lovely, especially when I choose not to do a dang thing. No chores, no nothin' but hanging out.

Double hmmmmm.

I've traveled a great deal on my own, sometimes by choice, sometimes because that was the nature of the situation.

Solo is the nature of my situation! Did you find any pitfalls in traveling solo??

I've traveled many times alone as well. The first time was when I was 17 and spent a couple of weeks traipsing around Europe. I got to know many people, though, so I didn't spend that much of my trip alone.

I've never traveled anywhere not safe, so I've never encountered anything dangerous. Okay, that one night I spent at a train station with homeless people in a small town in Romania was pretty unnerving at first. I was with a friend then, but she was having a total melt-down, so I think I would have been better off alone in the situation. :rolleyes:

I like traveling alone, because it means I don't have to worry about anybody else. It can be a little lonely at times and sometimes not being able to share and reminisce the cool experiences with anybody sucks. Social media helps, but it's still not quite the same.

Back up plans for when things go bad. Hmm. I did stash my passport and credit card in my panties once when I was walking home from a club in a rather iffy neighborhood in Bratislava. Does that count? I have a copy of my passport (and visa if I've needed one) in my email, but that's really the extent of my preparedness.

Most of my recent travels alone have been to visit somebody or to a place I already know well. That's always fun and maybe the most relaxing way for me to travel.

A few tips I might give to someone who travels alone for the first time:

In some places it's not common for people (especially women) to have dinner in a restaurant alone, so be prepared for some odd glances and maybe even questions. Bringing a book or some other form of entertainment can help, if you're not comfortable eating alone. I am fine with it, but surprisingly many of my friends and other people I've talked with for some reason find it uncomfortable.

When I travel alone, I'm more picky about my hotel. I pay a bit more to get a really good location and maybe a nicer room. When the location is primo, you're not tempted to stay in the hotel, but on the other hand, if the room is nicer, you'll be more comfortable if you do. And at least when I travel alone, I usually spend more time in my room than I do when I travel with somebody.

Good thought on the hotel. I will be seeing people I know along the way, so there's some safety in knowing people are expecting me and I'll be spending a few days here and there with them.

The idea of doing what I want at my own pace sounds really appealing. My time hasn't been my own in a crazy, intense way. I have no set timeline, no big agenda. A meandering road trip sounds about right.

I've traveled alone a lot over the years for work and often have an extra afternoon or day to be a tourist. I love those days! I'm a bit of an introvert by nature, and I really enjoy exploring a museum, a city, or a park by myself. I have not really ever felt unsafe or lonely, but most of these travels have been in pretty safe locations. There is something about setting my own agenda and exploring a new place alone that makes me a bit bolder than when I am with others, actually.

Having said that, I've never taken an intentional vacation on my own, unless you count cross-country road trips associated with moves (where I always had a pet with me, and stayed overnight most nights at friends' homes that were along the way).

Setting my own agenda is high on the list of why I should do this now! It's interesting you mention being bolder alone than with others - I can see how that could be true.

When Mr. cookie got sick, I had to step up and start planning every trip. Those times we drove south, I did all the navigation, driving, packing, unpacking. I'm not a planner, I see myself as unorganized -- so that perception changing of self was a good thing. Reading through your posts, I realize I can do this, too!

I have never vacationed by myself although I very much hope to someday. I do enjoy vacations where you make some time to go and do your own thing separate from whoever else is there with you.

I tend to be a loner, too and need that time away from the group.

I’ve traveled by myself, but my destination always included others.

I do enjoy going to NYC alone. Hop on the train and walk around and look at people.
That’s a Daycation.

Staycation, daycation. It's all good. I'll be visiting in-laws along the way. My final destination will be in a familiar place. Its a me-cation.

This is really interesting to me. I too had my first "mystical experience" in the mountains. In my case it was up a back-country canyon. I was just a teen at the time, but I believe that moment changed the trajectory of my life. Not sure what it is about mountains and the desert southwest...but it seems that there are special places there.

Cookie, in regard to traveling alone. I have done it, but do not care for it. But, I've had a soulmate since I was young and we have traveled a lot together. So I guess it would depend a lot on who my traveling partner was going to be (as in; alone is much better than being trapped with someone who is driving me crazy). I'm also wired as an introvert, which would seem to make one think I should like to travel alone...but I find it much nicer to have someone to share it with.

Also, in regard to safety; I think it is very much dependent on where you're planning to go. You're probably the only one who can really answer your questions, but hope you have a nice experience wherever you go !

I do like the thought of being alone, sorting some things out, finding peace. I like to think of Mr. cookie in the passenger seat. I talk to him a lot when I drive now; I imagine we'll have lots of conversations on the drive.

I'm going to England on my own in March 2018. I've travelled solo before as a much younger person, but not since. I can't wait!

Enjoy!

Yes.
I play trombone and go to a place every year that I can play at with others. Long weekend thing.
When I first got divorced, I just took off and went several places. Wondered Michigan and went to Traverse City for New years. Went for the ride on the snow train. Booked the train on Thursday, drove there Friday. Rode Saturday. Met a girl and stayed a few more days. Went to Chicago and Toronto.
I kept doing trips until I met someone I like to take with me.
:):):):):):):)

Sounds like you have some really good memories!

I think being aware and managing expectations would be key. After my mom died, my dad did something similar, and he was tremendously sad because they had gone on similar trips together and he was actively aware of those memories. I think he also felt alienated from the other couples on board. Everyone’s different: he’s not one to enjoy reading serenely alone, reflecting or refueling in the presence of scenery, and I think he believed the group aspect would be more supportive for him than it was.

I camp and hike alone with regularity, but being alone in the woods is how I get happy.

It’s good you are considering these things.

:heart:

Having pre-conceived expectations usually leads to disappointment. I hope I go in to this with an open mind. I feel like my idea of what this looks and feels like has changed over the last two months. Once Mr. cookie died, I couldn't bear the thought of going anyplace without him. Now, a couple months later, I realize he is with me in a way. I have this opportunity to go. It feels happier.

Interesting.
I've never travelled alone, except in route to a final destination to meet others. It appeals to me greatly, though.
These days, I'm pretty much a homebody. I've travelled enough to where I guess I'm comfortable here, with my mosquitos.
AAA for road service. I've used them before. Bring lots of music for traveling.
Good luck!!
And brush up on your Roman. Ya never know when ya gonna need it!

Last edited:
I traveled alone a lot when I was younger. If you can call weekends spent wandering the deserts "travel".

If I was to go off on my own these days, I'd pick someplace interesting like Macanac Island in Michigan or Key West in Fla and just go. New Orleans during late Jan/early Feb for Mardigras would be so much fun too. Book a hotel and just go there. Check the Chamber of Commerce for events and book during something that interests you - like a hot air balloon festival in New Mexico, the Rolex 3-Day event in Kentucky, or something.

If you just want to see the country before going home again, try Greyhound or Amtrack. If you want more than that, a friend's daughter decided to just relocate and shipped all her belongings and spent 3 weeks driving across the country and seeing all the national monuments between Pa and Calif.

I just took a two week vacation to road trip around Britain by myself. It was glorious!

I'm looking forward to a quiet weekend.
Snow on the ground(at least for now). So rare, here.
Me and a bottle of Cabernet. Vacation!

your biography:

:) :cattail:

LOL - I was going to point out the irony of the bio too ...

I think travelling is much easier in the internet age - TripAdvisor made travelling around India so much easier, and we always plan fairly well, whether travelling as a family or on our ownsomes. But I'm also a great wanderer - I think walking around is by far the best way to get the feel of a place. That's so much easier now with GPS etc. London is really well geared for walking - every major corner in the city has a bollard with map that shows you where you are, and what's in a walkable radius. I walked so much last time I was there that my entire body would be aching by the end of the day. I also went to Shakespeare at the Globe on my own, which was awesome - I wish I'd done more theatre actually.

I just took a two week vacation to road trip around Britain by myself. It was glorious!

I'm never brave enough to drive in foreign lands, but I love the trains around the UK. They can be stupidly expensive, but locals taught me some tricks for getting from A to B for less money. The whole 'first class' thing bemused the crap out of me - it really DOES make a difference ... although not quite as much difference as in India. I like trains for the way you get to see the 'back sides' of things a bit.

How's the driving there? Does it makes sense if you're not local?

Back