The American left has completely lost it

If you're on the left, are you OK with the narratives coming from your reps in media/entertainment?

And don't ask what I'm talking about. If you do, you're either feigning ignorance/indignation and just gearing up to spar, or you're too far gone to see what's happening. I'm not inviting the dogmatic to spew. They probably will anyway, but I won't be replying to any of that.

I know there are some thoughtful people here who commonly identify with the left. Those are the people I'm interested in talking to. If you're one of them, are you uncomfortable with how things are going on the left? How long have you been aware of the problem? Are you trying in any way to restore some sanity to it?

And don't start howling that it's all about those dastardly right-wingers. If you have intellectual integrity, you can't pretend that the hatred being generated by the left isn't violently and grotesquely disproportionate.

Brooding in Bonneville,
Ellie

I don't know what you are on about.

"I Really Don't Care. Do U?"

There is no pure white hate rivaling that which the right wing directs at the Progressive branch of the Democratic Party. Let AJ serve as your example.

The American left is using children as political weapons

What does the American left do when a year of hyperbole about Russian subversion and full-blown fascism in the White House fails to make the nation repent for electing Donald Trump? After eighteen unrelenting months of Red Scare and Brown Scare, President Trump’s approval numbers were higher than ever. What do the people who hate this president have left to try?

The answer is a children’s crusade. Since February, progressives have hit upon the idea of using children as political weapons. Is gun-control a dead-end issue in a nation whereforty-one per cent of adults either own a firearm or live with someone who does? Then shift the discussion away from adults: focus on school shootings—even though those, like other gun crimes, are declining—and have students like David Hogg do the fighting for you. Only a bully would rhetorically beat up a kid, so no counter-thrust is possible. It’s a PR masterstroke. You love guns, but don’t you love kids more?

And why are they? Because thanks to a 2016 court ruling that modified the 1997 “Flores” consent decree, children cannot be held in federal immigration detention facilities for more than 20 days. If illegal immigrants arrive with children—not even their own children, necessarily—immigration officials have a choice of either releasing the adults and children without prosecution (which can take more than 20 days, especially when asylum claims are involved) or holding the children separately while the adults are prosecuted. The Obama administration chose “catch and release.” The Trump administration, which was elected on campaign vows to enforce the law, has chosen prosecution and separation. Critics of the Trump administration’s approach claim they simply want to keep families together. They downplay the wider reality, which is that they are calling for not prosecuting adult immigrants who use children as tickets to enter the country—as human “get out of jail free” cards.

The incentive is perverse but obvious: to lower your chance of being prosecuted, take somebody’s child with you when you attempt to enter the country illegally. Dare the government to prosecute you while the child gets sentenced to weeks in a refurnished Walmart. Count on open-borders advocates and Trump Sentimentality has no room for such analysis: don’t think of the law, just think of the children. And don’t even think about them—just go with your feelings, guided by the ringmasters of outrage and hype. They have other kid causes in mind, too, now that they’re learning what works. to emotionally blackmail the country into adopting the kind of immigration policies that Obama followed—the kind that Trump was elected to overturn. Elections and democracy are as nothing next to news with the right sentimental slant.
https://usa.spectator.co.uk/2018/06/the-american-left-is-using-children-as-political-weapons/

If you're on the left, are you OK with the narratives coming from your reps in media/entertainment?

And don't ask what I'm talking about. If you do, you're either feigning ignorance/indignation and just gearing up to spar, or you're too far gone to see what's happening. I'm not inviting the dogmatic to spew. They probably will anyway, but I won't be replying to any of that.

I know there are some thoughtful people here who commonly identify with the left. Those are the people I'm interested in talking to. If you're one of them, are you uncomfortable with how things are going on the left? How long have you been aware of the problem? Are you trying in any way to restore some sanity to it?

And don't start howling that it's all about those dastardly right-wingers. If you have intellectual integrity, you can't pretend that the hatred being generated by the left isn't violently and grotesquely disproportionate.

Brooding in Bonneville,
Ellie

Being here on a more, or less, daily basis I would have to submit that they are viscerally vested in the idea that Trump is Hitler.

Those "thoughtful people" have long departed Lit. All that is left is their bitter residue, the children that they mentored. Everything is now judged by the metric of, if you do not hate Trump as much as we do, then you fully and enthusiastically support him.

It used to be the complaint about Republicans that they were monolithic black and white thinkers, but that is now more true of the Democrat Party than it ever was with the Republicans. They have morphed into Bush, "You're either with us, or against us."

There is no middle ground.

A rational response would require a rational question to respond to.

The wheel of fortune will keep on turning, and the left will once again be in power.

And when that happens, everyone will remember the vitriol coming from the right and find a reason to toss it back on them. It's so easy to kick someone when they're down, isn't it?

But please continue. The deeper the muck you're creating, the further you'll sink.

Miss your king? It's a democratic republic, not a monarchy.

"Melania is a bitch."

Need I offer any more evidence? That's an actual Progressive Left thread...

Rory, you have no evidence.

You were clueless to the fact that President Obama was keeping children in cages...

Brooding in Bonneville,
Ellie

So let me get this straight. You're asking a question based on a flawed premise and the only answers you will respond to are those that validate that flawed premise? No thanks, I'm not playing your game.

Considering that Republicans have a more favorable view of Kim Jong Un who has starved millions of his own people to death than of Nancy Pelosi, who is just a democratic politician I think you are severely mistaken.

But hey, this kind of thread will play well to rabid, unthinking, right wing base here. So have fun with that.

A favorite trick of the right wing is to assign the often wrongheaded opinions of some temporary Hollywood celebrity to the entire left of center population and then demand that they speak out against it, rather than just ignore it and be on their way. It’s lazy and disingenuous, and below Ellie of Whatever to even pose the question in the first place.

A favorite trick of the right wing is to assign the often wrongheaded opinions of some temporary Hollywood celebrity to the entire left of center population and then demand that they speak out against it, rather than just ignore it and be on their way. It’s lazy and disingenuous, and below Ellie of Whatever to even pose the question in the first place.

Oh yeah, welcome to the world where everything Trump says or does reflects upon you for not being a Progressive shill...

Ellie posited the right question. Idiots will recoil in horror from it.

Exactly! As if Peter Fonda is somehow my "rep."

Oh yeah, welcome to the world where everything Trump says or does reflects upon you for not being a Progressive shill...

Ellie posited the right question. Idiots will recoil in horror from it.

Let's see, is there any difference between Peter Fonda and Trump ?

One is just an actor and the other was the Republican candidate who was elected president.

You can go back to playing the victim now.

Back