Tales from the ER?—Story Help

Hello Summer!
Hi, again! I am not a member of the BDSM tribe, but I am a writer who sometimes explores the subject in my stories. I'm working on a novella at the moment with one such character, and I'm trying to write up a passage for him regarding his strong, SSC opinions. It's not going to be long or detailed, but I want to get it right.

What I'd like to know is any instances where you were witness to, experienced yourself, or just heard tell of a Dom/subs ending up in the ER thanks to a scene gone wrong. It need not be a tale of negligence—it could have been something stupid, unexpected or even absurd.

I'm just trying to get a general idea of how it usually happens or is dealt with, whether it's common, rare, minimal (but embarrassing), etc. So when my Dom complains, the complaint will ring true with BDSM readers rather than sounding far fetched or silly.

Thanks for any help! :rose:

I got a rotator cuff tear due to an attack of klutz during a semi-suspension scene.

I once watched a D-type showing off with a single-tail he knew nothing about flip it around and crack himself in the face. Opened up his cheek and made him scream like a girl. He needed stitches. :rolleyes:

I once watched a D-type showing off with a single-tail he knew nothing about flip it around and crack himself in the face. Opened up his cheek and made him scream like a girl. He needed stitches. :rolleyes:
That is an awesome story :D (Is it wrong that I'm still chuckling...)

One of the most experienced tops I know cut her own eyebrow open during knife play. The sub just got her so hot... she couldn't control that little flourish of the wrist! Bled as only a face wound can bleed, while we ran around trying to remember where the first aid kit was located. She still talks about it with a certain amount of glee-- she doesn't bottom to anyone, she tells us except once for her own self and that was non consensual.

I've snapped my own ass with my singletail and left a welt that lasted a while. And once when I was bottoming for a fireplay demo, the top couldn't see that the alcohol was still lit on my back-- I had a burn scar for a few years, marked out in one quarter of a circle. Far too even to be an accident... I thought about completing it with a tattoo but the burn mark faded away over time.

And about a thousand years ago, I popped my boyfriend's wrist because I did not know how to tie rope. :(

I was about to get my face slapped, moved my head, got my ear slapped instead and ruptured my eardrum.

I think I told the doctor that someone threw a basketball on my ear or something silly like that. It healed on its own over a month or so.

I've also dislocated several joints, but I'm genetically inclined to that. It's probably not something that would happen to regular people very often, although I can imagine bondage going wrong and that being the end result.

Well, I didn't go to the ER, but I got a ben wa ball stuck in me. :eek: I refused to go in - talk about not wanting to explain THAT - so I took a hot bath and it finally fell out. I know that Captains Wench has had this problem before, too. However, she enjoys them enough to just deal with that whereas I decided they were not enough fun to ever have to deal with one getting stuck in me again.

These are very helpful! I can't thank you all enough for sharing. So far, it seems like a bit more frequent (popped joints or burns) and everyone should be more careful with the whips, but not much more in severity than any vanilla couple might get going at it a little rough and bumping heads, tumbling, getting elbowed or kneed.

I mean, everyone has accidents and I'm sure the ER has seen plenty of X-Rays of things stuck up inside from couples of all stripes. :D

I was tied up and thrashed about too much. I guess I pinched a nerve or threw something completely off because the pain put me out of commission. I told my doctor it must have happened while I was working out. :rolleyes:

I mean, everyone has accidents and I'm sure the ER has seen plenty of X-Rays of things stuck up inside from couples of all stripes. :D

It's amazing how many people accidentally sit on objects while in the shower. Especially when it's something like a cellphone.

There have been worse cases, though. A dominatrix in the UK who unwrapped her mummified client to discover he'd suffocated under her care. BDSM is still risky, and the closer to the edge we play the riskier it can be.

There have been worse cases, though. A dominatrix in the UK who unwrapped her mummified client to discover he'd suffocated under her care. BDSM is still risky, and the closer to the edge we play the riskier it can be.
True. I predict all kinds of ER visits after 50 Shades comes out and those who know nothing and think they can just copy what they see in the movie find out it ain't that easy....

Removal.....

I was an operating room nurse for a whole bunch of years and I can tell you that after the first ten years of retrieving things nothing surprised me. Bottles of shampoo, lube, light bulbs and Spongebob toys needed anesthesia and muscle.
I realize that this isn't right on your subject but please people even in a fit of passion, don't put anything up your ass that doesn't have a rim to stop it. You will end up in surgery with nurses who don't really care what's up there but they will be pissed because they probably got called in from home.
Just a thought from someone who's had their weekend interrupted by tinker toys up an ass.

Removal.....

I was an operating room nurse for a whole bunch of years and I can tell you that after the first ten years of retrieving things nothing surprised me. Bottles of shampoo, lube, light bulbs and Spongebob toys needed anesthesia and muscle.
I realize that this isn't right on your subject but please people even in a fit of passion, don't put anything up your ass that doesn't have a rim to stop it. You will end up in surgery with nurses who don't really care what's up there but they will be pissed because they probably got called in from home.
Just a thought from someone who's had their weekend interrupted by tinker toys up an ass.

True. I predict all kinds of ER visits after 50 Shades comes out and those who know nothing and think they can just copy what they see in the movie find out it ain't that easy....

also divorces. Because sometimes what breaks is trust. And damn that relationship is about everything except trust.

I realize that this isn't right on your subject but please people even in a fit of passion, don't put anything up your ass that doesn't have a rim to stop it.
LOL! I think it's perfectly on subject, Maryanne. I kinda predicted that "up the ass" visits would top the ER list whether or not those objects were put up there during a BDSM session or just by someone bored and horny who—as was said "sat" on something while in the shower.

Poor nurses.

also divorces. Because sometimes what breaks is trust. And damn that relationship is about everything except trust.
Honestly, every time I see the trailer and the girl saying, "What's in there?" and the guy saying, "That's my red room..." I shout at the television: "RUN!" :D

There is no fucking way for a man to say that line and sound sexy rather than creepy. I don't care how cute he is, and if he's in a nice suit it come across even worse than if he was in jeans and a tee.

Am I the only one who hears that line and thinks: "Silence of the Lambs"! :confused:

Honestly, every time I see the trailer and the girl saying, "What's in there?" and the guy saying, "That's my red room..." I shout at the television: "RUN!" :D

There is no fucking way for a man to say that line and sound sexy rather than creepy. I don't care how cute he is, and if he's in a nice suit it come across even worse than if he was in jeans and a tee.

Am I the only one who hears that line and thinks: "Silence of the Lambs"! :confused:

For some reason, what I think of is the "Red Rum" from King's The Shining.

I strained my triceps and lats then tried using Icy-Hot for relief. Bad idea! Spent over an hour in a freezing cold shower and had chemical burns down the back of my arms and back. Turns out my skin is incredibly sensitive and I'm severely allergic to many common ingredients in lotions and creams. Missed a couple days of work and couldn't wear a bra for almost 3 weeks. Told the Doc the truth about the Icy Hot, just not the activities that led to the muscle strains.

Last edited:
For some reason, what I think of is the "Red Rum" from King's The Shining.

Me too, and then those creepy twins and Tony the finger. They've really done a marvellous job at taking kink and making it totally unpalatable for kinksters.

Back on topic, I've never been hurt enough to have gone to ER but did manage to biff myself (not really my fault coz I wasn't currently controlling that arm) in the mouth during some battle sex the other week. Thankfully it was still school holidays so I was able to be a hermit till the swelling went down.

it makes me wonder why in the world they got vanilla's to star in this movie?

oh right.. because only the craziest BDSM types would be able to follow direction without arguing about the inaccuracy of the subject matter.

So instead you end up with a movie about BDSM that's not by BDSM, based on a book with the same lack of qualifications.

But but but Jamie Dornan went to a BDSM club to research his role!

and then complained about how icky and creepy these people were and how he had to take a shower afterwards which maybe suggests that he's not the right actor for the role and is it really that hard to find somebody in Hollywood who's cool with kinky sex but then again maybe those people have higher standards

oh right.. because only the craziest BDSM types would be able to follow direction without arguing about the inaccuracy of the subject matter.
Presumably there was a BDSM type on the set telling them what was right and wrong (Don't quote me, it's what I heard and I don't have back-up). So, while the book hadn't an ounce of accuracy the movie might. But accuracy does not a sexy movie make. Nor a good one for that matter.

the publicity interviews have been a positive feast of schadenfreude.
Hmmm. BDSM movie. Actors hate each other and hate working on the film...from popular book...

I'm getting strong Deja vu here...and a message from the ghosts of movies past...What's that you say? From the '80? Nine-and-a-half weeks? Nine-and-a-half weeks till what...? ;)

:D Kinda funny how ever twenty years something like this comes about, often with the same baggage.

Last edited:
What I'd like to know is any instances where you were witness to, experienced yourself, or just heard tell of a Dom/subs ending up in the ER thanks to a scene gone wrong. It need not be a tale of negligence—it could have been something stupid, unexpected or even absurd.

I'm just trying to get a general idea of how it usually happens or is dealt with, whether it's common, rare, minimal (but embarrassing), etc. So when my Dom complains, the complaint will ring true with BDSM readers rather than sounding far fetched or silly.

Thanks for any help! :rose:

My jaw was dislocated once from wearing a ball gag that was too large. That earned me an unpleasant trip to the hospital. It sucked and my top refused to accompany me because there were rope marks and bruises on my body. He feared the medical staff would report it to the police. Even if it was consensual, the police in many states can just decide whether or not domestic violence has occurred and press charges.

Back