What are you reading at the moment?

Just finished Bonk by Mary Roach.

In the middle of The Captain's Verses by Pablo Neruda.

Then when my mind gets sick of poetry I switch over to Y - The Last Man. First graphic novel I've read in twenty years. It's pretty damn good. They've come a long way.

Wasn't Bonk a hoot? I read it and then it disappeared and I was afraid that in a moment of madness I'd donated it to the library or something. Such a relief when it turned up.

Right now I'm reading Fire by Frances D. Burton. She takes the idea that fire is the deciding factor in human evolution and doesn't restrict it to diet. Having artificial light, she believes, was just as important as the result of dropping food in a fire before eating it.

Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Salutes the Armed Forces

Yet another volume from the Bathroom Reader's Institute, this one is chock full of heroisim, little known military history, battles from the Revolutionary War to Operation Iraqi Freedom and Afghanistan, lighthearted anecdotes, bios of famous generals and admirals and a host of other subjects. Like all the other books in the series, it's a fascinating amalgam of facts, humor and trivia.

Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell.

Also perusing a cookbook for good recipes - A Man, A Can, A Grill by David Joachim. :)

I take some of it back ( now that I've reached p. 229). Margonelli did a good job of describing life on a Texas drill rig and wrote a reasonable story on BP's 275,000 barrels per day Carson ( California ) refinery. Unfortunately, once she got to Venezuela, Chad and Iran, she just couldn't resist the journalistic urge to save the world. She mounted the pulpit and started spouting moralistic bilge about stuff of which she is completely and utterly clueless.

I never fail to roll my eyes when journalists and wet-behind-the-ear-junior-Wall Street analysts start telling Exxon how to run its business. If nothing else, it is amusing in the extreme.

Gasoline sells for $0.11 per gallon in Tehran and $0.25 per gallon in Caracas. Of course, nothing else works.

TRYSAIL

True. I was with her till she went to Africa. Before then I learned a lot.

"No government is brave enough— or has enough popular support— to do away with cheap gas[oline], but it's gradually killing the Iranian state. Iran consumes far more gasoline than its overburdened refineries can produce, which puts the government in the awkward position of having to export crude oil and then pay to reimport gasoline from foreign refineries, at a cost of $4.7 billion in 2004."

I've always known that Iran has to import gasoline. If you asked the man on the street or a United States Senator if it was true that a founding member of OPEC and one of the largest petroleum exporters in the world was short of gasoline, they'd look at you as if you were an idiot.

This is EXACTLY the kind of absurdity that one would expect to occur in a planned/command economy. It's sooooooo predictable.

Last edited:
Current Archaeology magazine, issue 233

Not a book, but then I didn't explicitly say books only when I launched the thread (though "I love a good book..." could be taken to imply that :D).

Wasn't Bonk a hoot? I read it and then it disappeared and I was afraid that in a moment of madness I'd donated it to the library or something. Such a relief when it turned up.

Right now I'm reading Fire by Frances D. Burton. She takes the idea that fire is the deciding factor in human evolution and doesn't restrict it to diet. Having artificial light, she believes, was just as important as the result of dropping food in a fire before eating it.

Bonk was great. I particularly enjoyed chapter three: The Princess and Her Pea, as I had no idea that happened in history, and Chapter 14: Monkey Do; hormonal research is just fascinating.

The book Fire sounds great. An interesting premise. Does she explain how it relates to language? Is it due to longer "awake" hours? I've often thought that might be an influencing factor. Happy reading. :)

PS - Just finished "Y" and for a graphic novel it was superb. Actually made me weep at the end. Impressive.

Michael Jecks: "The Merchant's Partner".

A murder mystery set in C12 Devon.
He's a very clever writer, historical accuracy is very high.
Rather like Paul Doherty.

Lately I've been reading the Dresden Files alot. Of course I've had to pace myself a bit since I can make it through a book or so a night if I'm not careful :-D

Bonk was great. I particularly enjoyed chapter three: The Princess and Her Pea, as I had no idea that happened in history, and Chapter 14: Monkey Do; hormonal research is just fascinating.

The book Fire sounds great. An interesting premise. Does she explain how it relates to language? Is it due to longer "awake" hours? I've often thought that might be an influencing factor. Happy reading. :)

PS - Just finished "Y" and for a graphic novel it was superb. Actually made me weep at the end. Impressive.

She hasn't mentioned language so far and I am on the last chapter. The species she keeps referring to as 'the Ancestor', the one who started using fire did so long before it it could manage it. Almost certainly she is putting the use of fire long before the development of speech.

And I've started the Beekeeper's Apprentice. I recall reading a favorable review of when it first came out but somehow have managed to miss the series. I believe that was unfortunate and am now going to make up for lost time.

Just finished John Saul's "The Devil's Labyrinth. Pretty good book.

Ha! I just saw him on a show about RVs. He and his male 'friend and co-writer' travel around the country looking at old stuff and old buildings and brainstorming scary plots. They are quite the old married couple.

I'm now reading The Loch, by Steve Alton.

The art of Electronics. Horowitz & Hill.

A classic. My copy is well thumbed. Along with Scroggie's wireless book, it's something I keep going back to.

Me, I'm reading IEEE 802.11-2007, the WiFi wireless network modulation and protocol standard.

Kinda dry.

A classic. My copy is well thumbed. Along with Scroggie's wireless book, it's something I keep going back to.

Me, I'm reading IEEE 802.11-2007, the WiFi wireless network modulation and protocol standard.

Kinda dry.

I'd really like to lay my hands on another copy of Scroggie. I have a copy of his "Radio Laboratory Handbook".

"Radio Engineering", Terman, is also worth it as a reference.

But the Daddy of them all for me, is the "Services Textbook of Radio"; all 11 parts of it!

I'd really like to lay my hands on another copy of Scroggie. I have a copy of his "Radio Laboratory Handbook".

"Radio Engineering", Terman, is also worth it as a reference.

But the Daddy of them all for me, is the "Services Textbook of Radio"; all 11 parts of it!

You've got all eleven volumes, then?

Was reading "Understanding GPS, Principles and Applications" ed Elliot Kaplan in the bath.

You've got all eleven volumes, then?

Sadly, no I am missing a couple.
I actually paid £11 for a copy of Vol 11 (Transmission lines) a few years ago and was lucky enough to be where several volumes were chucked out.

I do have a copy Of "Harmsworth's Wireless Encyclopaedia" published in many parts about 1924 (General Editor: Prof Sir Oliver Lodge). Absolutely the thing for real old-fashioned do-it-yourself radio.

God is Not Great

God is Not Great is Christopher Hitchens well-written tome on the horrors religion and intolerance have inflicted on mankind.

I just finished Girl Sleuth, the story behind the Nancy Drew series.

Back