God

Three tests can be applied to the bible to see if it exhibits characteristics of a divine book that is without error. 1. External evidence 2. Internal evidence 3. Bible prophecy.

External evidence from both archeology and non-Christian writers confirms that the Bible - Both the Old and New Testaments - is a trustwrothy historical document. Archeologist Joseph Free has said that "Archeology has confirmed countless passages which has had been rejected by critics as unhistorical or contrary to known facts." Renowned Jewish Archeologist Nelson Gluek confidently said that "It may be stated categorically that no archeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference."

Examples: Some scolars said that Moses couldn't have written the first five books of the Bible because writing was largely unknown in his day. Then, archeology proved otherwise by the discovery of many other written codes of the periods: the code of Hammurabi, he Lipit-Ishtar code and the laws of Eshnunna.

Another example: Critics used to say that the biblical description of the Hittite Empire was wrong because the Hittite Empire (they thought) didn't even exist? Then archeologists discovered the Hittite Capital in 1906 and discovered that the Hittite's were actually a very vast and prominent civilization. Archeological and linguistic evidence is increaslingly pointing to the 6th century B.C date for the book of Daniel, in spite of many critics who attempt to late-date Daniel and make it a prophecy after the detailed events it predicts.

For the New Testament, Dr. G.R Habernas points out that within 110 years of Christ's crucifixion, approximately eighteen non-Christian sources mention more that "One hundred facts, beliefs, and teachings from the life of Christ and Early Christendom." These Items mention almost every major detail Of Jesus' life, including miracles, the Resurection, and His claims to diety." Sir William Ramsey, one of the greatest archeologists to ever live, demonstrated that Luke made no mistakes in refereces to 32 countries, 54 cities and 9 islands.

The internal evidents test reveals the bibles amazing consistency. The Bible was written by over 40 authors, in 3 languages, on 3 continents, over a span of 1500 years and covers hundreds of controversial subjects, Yet, the authors all spoke with agreement. From Genesis to Revelation, there is one unfolding story--God's redemption of mankind.

Finally prophecy. See Josh McDowells book evidence that demands a verdict. There are hundreds of specific prophecies in the bible that have been literally fullfilled, In some cases centuries after the completion of the Bible. Some prophecies fullfilled by Jesus are Micah 5:2, which revealed where He was born; Isaiah 53 detailing his suffering, work at the cross and ressurection. Psalm 22 is a striking prophecy of his crucifiction.

Lastly. How can we know whether or not the Bible we have today is the same as what was written? The discovery of the Dead Sea Scroll, which date from 200 B.C to AD 68 included a copy of every Old Testament book except for one. Comparison with the texts of a thousand years later shows little or no vatiation and change beetween them.

:DHad to go pick up my kids:D

No one cares that you're nice to whales. I am, too. Prove your amazing claim that God exists. Please.

See you really don't know me. I am kind of mean to whales. I just ignore them because they are huge and might not have been taught by their mother to "Not touch." I have to be hurting their feelings.

I'll let someone else pick out all the logical fallacies in that.

I'll even prove it.

Now go to work, DCL.

Three tests can be applied to the bible to see if it exhibits characteristics of a divine book that is without error. 1. External evidence 2. Internal evidence 3. Bible prophecy.

External evidence from both archeology and non-Christian writers confirms that the Bible - Both the Old and New Testaments - is a trustwrothy historical document. Archeologist Joseph Free has said that "Archeology has confirmed countless passages which has had been rejected by critics as unhistorical or contrary to known facts." Renowned Jewish Archeologist Nelson Gluek confidently said that "It may be stated categorically that no archeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference."

Examples: Some scolars said that Moses couldn't have written the first five books of the Bible because writing was largely unknown in his day. Then, archeology proved otherwise by the discovery of many other written codes of the periods: the code of Hammurabi, he Lipit-Ishtar code and the laws of Eshnunna.

Another example: Critics used to say that the biblical description of the Hittite Empire was wrong because the Hittite Empire (they thought) didn't even exist? Then archeologists discovered the Hittite Capital in 1906 and discovered that the Hittite's were actually a very vast and prominent civilization. Archeological and linguistic evidence is increaslingly pointing to the 6th century B.C date for the book of Daniel, in spite of many critics who attempt to late-date Daniel and make it a prophecy after the detailed events it predicts.

For the New Testament, Dr. G.R Habernas points out that within 110 years of Christ's crucifixion, approximately eighteen non-Christian sources mention more that "One hundred facts, beliefs, and teachings from the life of Christ and Early Christendom." These Items mention almost every major detail Of Jesus' life, including miracles, the Resurection, and His claims to diety." Sir William Ramsey, one of the greatest archeologists to ever live, demonstrated that Luke made no mistakes in refereces to 32 countries, 54 cities and 9 islands.

The internal evidents test reveals the bibles amazing consistency. The Bible was written by over 40 authors, in 3 languages, on 3 continents, over a span of 1500 years and covers hundreds of controversial subjects, Yet, the authors all spoke with agreement. From Genesis to Revelation, there is one unfolding story--God's redemption of mankind.

Finally prophecy. See Josh McDowells book evidence that demands a verdict. There are hundreds of specific prophecies in the bible that have been literally fullfilled, In some cases centuries after the completion of the Bible. Some prophecies fullfilled by Jesus are Micah 5:2, which revealed where He was born; Isaiah 53 detailing his suffering, work at the cross and ressurection. Psalm 22 is a striking prophecy of his crucifiction.

Lastly. How can we know whether or not the Bible we have today is the same as what was written? The discovery of the Dead Sea Scroll, which date from 200 B.C to AD 68 included a copy of every Old Testament book except for one. Comparison with the texts of a thousand years later shows little or no vatiation and change beetween them.

:DHad to go pick up my kids:D

Is there a God?

More specifically does a god named Yahweh or Jehovah exist and does he have a myriad of Angels who do his bidding. There are also such creatures who disagree wirh Jehovah and these are headed up by Satan.

Flatly, I don't know and neither do you but the entire story told in the Hebrew/Greek scriptures is a prophecy and if the prophecy is true then death is, or at least may not be, the end of your life. According to the biblical narrative some small number of humans will be transfigured and become other creatures with immense power, much like Yahweh and a relatively large number will be resurrected and live what amounts to be endless lives on Earth.

Now this is a difficult thing to believe; It's hard to wrap my mind around such concepts even though I would like to believe it. The problem for me both hubris and lack of knowledge. It's difficult to conceive of creatures so superior to humans that they have the ability to create a universe; frightening, that.

In other words if there is a God, he doesn't look like your grandfather wirh a white beard floating around on a cloud and he isn't necessarily your friend just because you heard that in some church.

I just don't know.

According to the Bible, God told Abraham that he only had one.

Issaac was Abraham's legitimate son. He would have been the one to claim Abraham's inheritence. In asking him to kill Issaac he was asking him to kill his only legitamate son and heir. We should get Ishmeal in on this one. Is he around?

And no archaeological find has ever disproved the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

My point exactly. As hard as people have tried to discredit the bible over thousands of years that nothing contradicts it is amazing. Even if you don't believe. I'm going to let you worry if there is a Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I haven't made a claim. You have. The burden of proof is on you. You claim God exists and that after you die he makes waffles for you. Interesting claim. Can you prove what you're claiming?

Prove it.[/QUOTE

I have been told that I made claims. I thought I was just responding to a thread about if I believe there is a God. But this has made me think about what my official claim is:

Official Claim of Tryharder:

I, Tryharder, believe that I have one eternal life. In looking at information, I have made the choice to believe that there is a God. I do not look down on others that use information to make a different choice. We all have our own personal journey to make. (Of course I do worry about my friends and their eternal life but then I am a worrier. I am a work in progress).

I love this quote, and have used it before, but it helps me with that worry. "Christianity is not something to be shoved down your throat and forced on you. You have to live your life and I have to live mine. All I can do is tell you what I have learned and experienced. After that what you do with Christ is up to you."-Josh McDowell

I do want it noted for the record that I did not claim God would make waffles for me after I died. If I die before you I will try to get some kind of message back to let you know if he does do that though. You seem to like that.

Sincerely,
Tryharder

Issaac was Abraham's legitimate son. He would have been the one to claim Abraham's inheritence. In asking him to kill Issaac he was asking him to kill his only legitamate son and heir. We should get Ishmeal in on this one. Is he around?
Legitimate? Sarah was Abraham's half-sister.

Oh my gosh that was hilarious. I hope everyone takes a look at that. If someone doubts there is a God again I'll tell them they are right because VaticanAssassin showed me a clip of Jean luc Picard and Star Trek Next Generation saying it is so. Then I'll tell them they are welcome to go join him where no man has ever gone before.

Is that sarcasm? I think that may be sarcasm....... :cool:

I thought the clip was funny, that is all. I was not attacking your belief in God. I have no issues with people who believe in a higher power, my issues are with people who believe in religion, or any other organization that tries to control people through fear.........

There may or may not be a god, but fuck anyone who says I have to go to a certain building to find him.

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion"

My point exactly. As hard as people have tried to discredit the bible over thousands of years that nothing contradicts it is amazing. Even if you don't believe. I'm going to let you worry if there is a Flying Spaghetti Monster.

i got like 2 bibles in my room.. an to be honest, i never read none of them.

i believe in god, an that's what counts. like, i don't need to read a bible to prove people that i believe he's real... ya kno

just like church, why go if you know he's real an you believe in him..ya dig? :)

i got like 2 bibles in my room.. an to be honest, i never read none of them.

i believe in god, an that's what counts. like, i don't need to read a bible to prove people that i believe he's real... ya kno

just like church, why go if you know he's real an you believe in him..ya dig? :)

I'd read it with you. It's a really great book even if you choose not to believe. As for going to church... I like to go and listen to my pastor and think more about things, learn . I will have to admit sometimes I just go for donut fellowship.

Is that sarcasm? I think that may be sarcasm....... :cool:

I thought the clip was funny, that is all. I was not attacking your belief in God. I have no issues with people who believe in a higher power, my issues are with people who believe in religion, or any other organization that tries to control people through fear.........

There may or may not be a god, but fuck anyone who says I have to go to a certain building to find him.

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion"

Maybe just a little sarcasm but it was a great clip. For the rest, I'm right there with you brother.:heart:

Back