What's cookin', good lookin'? Part II

J made us burgers and they were really good. Simple with cheddar, aioli and tomato. Store bought buns. But it’s been so long since I had a burger that this tasted extra good. Plus I didn’t have to cook. 🤤

Edit: that was an interesting autocorrect that I only caught now…

Last edited:
Meatloaf over a bed of rice, leftover field peas from the other day, boiled carrots, fried okra, and more tomato slices because I have a bunch of tomatoes I need to use before they go bad.

BBQ chicken, cheddar broccoli pasta, baked beans, and fried green tomatoes (again). I am never gonna get all these veggies my mother brought fixed before they ruin!

Beet Salad

Over a bed of beet greens and lettuce.
Gorgonzola cheese, sliced apples, sliced cherry tomatoes, onion and balsamic vinegar.

Everything but the onion, cheese and vinegar is as from the garden or farm.

This looks very tasty!

I got home from my trip to Slovenia etc. about 2 hours ago.

First order of business: getting a load of laundry going. Second order of business: mushroom picking!!! 😍

So dinner will be pasta with porcini and yellow swamp brittlegills.

Attachments

• IMG_9115.jpeg
    IMG_9115.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9114.jpeg
    IMG_9114.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 3
Today’s yummy mushroom dinner was an open face sandwich with sweetbread mushroom and parsley topping and parasol mushroom cap cooked as a steak. Some lamb’s lettuce and zucchini on the side.

Some people say you shouldn’t eat the sweetbread mushroom because there are deadly lookalikes, but so far so good! Fingers crossed! 😁

(No need to worry, I’m good at mushrooms.)

I don’t normally toot my own horn (well figuratively maybe) but I have never made eggplant parm that was this good!

Got two decent sized eggplant in our garden. Figured it would go to waste but was determined to use it. I had a perfect opportunity, as we had a bunch of tomatoes that were going to go bad. So I made a big pot of marinara.

Then, peeled, sliced and cured the eggplant. Floured, egg wash and breaded it. Then pan fried it. It’s a labor intensive dish to put together.

Made into little “parms “ covered by tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella. Magnifique! Soooooo good!

Last edited:
I don’t normally toot my own horn (well figuratively maybe) but I have never made eggplant parm that was this good!

Got two decent sized eggplant in our garden. Figured it would go to waste but was determined to use it. I had a perfect opportunity, as we had a bunch of tomatoes that were going to go bad. So I made a big pot of marinara.

Then, peeled, sliced and cured the eggplant. Floured, egg wash and breaded it. Then pan fried it. It’s a labor intensive dish to put together.

Made into little “parms “ covered by tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella. Magnifique! Soooooo good!

I love eggplant parm so much, but I'm terrible at making it. So great job!

Thanks bunny. Eggplant parm is super labor intensive. You have to skin the eggplant, then slice it. Then you put salt on it for a few hours to pull out some of the bitterness.

Then you rinse, put it in flour, then, egg wash, then breading. Then I pan fry it.

When done, I put two on top of each other sauce in the middle sauce on top and mozzarella on top of that and bake it for about 20 minutes.

It’s a lot of fucking work, but this last batch was well worth it.

We’re leaving for vacation on Saturday, so I’m using up all the food. I’m a total nut when it comes to throwing away food.

Drives me crazy to waste it.

Diced green pepper, leftover crookneck, squash, one carrot diced all sautéed and leftover marinara added in.

added in Gorgonzola cheese, because I did not want to go to waste.

Served over ravioli.

J is baking an apple pie, it’s currently in the oven. The kind of pie with a lid, which is totally not the norm here. I tried to suggest trying an easier version first, because he’s not exactly an experienced baker, but he wanted to make a pie that “looks like Grandma Duck has made it”. 🩷

Well, it doesn’t quite look like as neat and cute, but it smells really good though! ☺️

J is baking an apple pie, it’s currently in the oven. The kind of pie with a lid, which is totally not the norm here. I tried to suggest trying an easier version first, because he’s not exactly an experienced baker, but he wanted to make a pie that “looks like Grandma Duck has made it”. 🩷

Well, it doesn’t quite look like as neat and cute, but it smells really good though! ☺️
I like his method of choosing what to make.
No fear - the food can smell fear.

I’ll be there in about 15 hrs! Sounds yummy.

Back