The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got rain, winds (not too fierce), and a certain 'coolth'.

When I'm in the garden playing with an aerial,. the rain's no fun at all.

OK. I'll get the coffee.

Sorry guys but it seems like that cold or whatever in my shoulder has me down and out for the most part. Sitting up is a major pain in several places. I have a doctors appointment but it will be a few days.

Sorry guys but it seems like that cold or whatever in my shoulder has me down and out for the most part. Sitting up is a major pain in several places. I have a doctors appointment but it will be a few days.

I hope it's nothing serious.

Good Luck.
You got time for a coffee?, he said with a hot kettle in his hand . . .

Best of luck. We'll let the cat keep your seat warm, till you get back.

:kiss::rose: Feel better soon, Tx.

Can't sleep so i might as well make coffee.

The Anal, uh, Annual Award winners are supposed to be out sometimes today.

And a quick glance at the first pages shows our Chloe walking away with two and you with one. Congrats to both.

Oh wow! Thx Tex. I checked early and there wasn't anything so that was lovely of you to give my coffee break a thrill. Between that and getting Sammi Woo checked in and up it's a good morning for me.

I see a few other winners from the regular and irregular posters here - Ogg, TomL, HandsintheDark, Xellie, great to see :rose:

The most influential poet award is an interesting one. The winner has not submitted any poetry for the last 14 months and has a lifetime score of 2!

The 3 poets she beat have about 200 submissions between them and contribute most days to the forum, run challenges and so on. The winner isn't to be found in that area.

But the winner does know how to win awards, she has several now.:D

I decided not to comment on her skills on a poet. It would be unkind, especially considering that it's such a tiny sample.

The authors awards are of course thoroughly deserved.:)

The most influential poet award is an interesting one. The winner has not submitted any poetry for the last 14 months and has a lifetime score of 2!

The 3 poets she beat have about 200 submissions between them and contribute most days to the forum, run challenges and so on. The winner isn't to be found in that area.

But the winner does know how to win awards, she has several now.:D

I decided not to comment on her skills on a poet. It would be unkind, especially considering that it's such a tiny sample.

The authors awards are of course thoroughly deserved.:)

Last year I was nominated for Most Influential Poet.

What had they been smoking?

I didn't win. :D

Well done, Chloe.

It must have been good stuff :D

I should mention, Chloe, that Ogg is a very modest author, and can teach the rest of us quite a lot.

But now, coffee, while I work out why this CB aerial doesn't work properly.

There are so many things wrong with the year end awards that I've given up on worrying about them. Some have been promised to get get fixed for years but so far nothing is done about chapters winning a story contest, just to mention one.

All you need is a large fan base and plenty of Facebook friends in a lot of cases.

Oh well, there is nothing we can do about it so I'll make fresh coffee.

All you need is a large fan base and plenty of Facebook friends in a lot of cases.

Chapters? Check
Fan base? Check
Facebook? Noooooooo

Actually my fans knew about the awards before I did. Still, low votes or not, it's a nice fuzzy, just, not very competitive compared to the contests

There are so many things wrong with the year end awards that I've given up on worrying about them. Some have been promised to get get fixed for years but so far nothing is done about chapters winning a story contest, just to mention one.

For some of the categories, all you need is a nomination because there are so few eligible stories.

I remember winning a certificate for coming 3rd in a 100 yard race as a youngster. That 3rd place earned useful points for my Boy Scout troop towards the overall trophy for the event.

Out of over two hundred Scouts participating, only three were the right age for that 100 yard race. The second runner was 5 seconds behind the Scout who came first. I was another 7 secs behind the second. I wasn't built for sprinting and I was running in hiking boots.

I earned many more points for shot put; hammer and discus throwing. But the 3rd place in the 100 yards sticks in my memory.

Last year's nomination for poetry was ridiculous. This year's win for Humor and Satire? Some people liked the story and it has retained (until now!) a reasonable rating.

Yes, there are significant fan bases for some authors. But those fan bases have been earned through the author's output and consistently delivering what their fans want. Popularity wins the main awards.

Chapters? Check
Fan base? Check
Facebook? Noooooooo

Actually my fans knew about the awards before I did. Still, low votes or not, it's a nice fuzzy, just, not very competitive compared to the contests

I'm not knocking anyone's win. Yes, you won with a chapter 3. several others were won with a chapter 25 or even chapter 30. I've always thought this was a story site, not a chapter site and years ago it was promised that this problem would be corrected. It ain't happened so...

For some of the categories, all you need is a nomination because there are so few eligible stories.

(Snip)

Last year's nomination for poetry was ridiculous. This year's win for Humor and Satire? Some people liked the story and it has retained (until now!) a reasonable rating.

Yes, there are significant fan bases for some authors. But those fan bases have been earned through the author's output and consistently delivering what their fans want. Popularity wins the main awards.

I hear what you are saying Ogg and I don't disagree with you. What I disagree with is people playing the system for wins. It happens so much that it has become a joke.

Nothing we can do about it. It has to start at the top.

I'm not knocking anyone's win. Yes, you won with a chapter 3. several others were won with a chapter 25 or even chapter 30. I've always thought this was a story site, not a chapter site and years ago it was promised that this problem would be corrected. It ain't happened so...

No y problema. I'd actually agree on the chapters not qualifying myself. But as you say, ain't happened.....

Still not got the base aerial working. This is proving damned stupid!

And it's raining. Coffee - PLEASE !

HP, have you ever thought it might be the rain causing the problem. :D

One hot coffee coming up.

The heat wave has eased a bit. Slightly less wildfire smoke than yesterday but still awful, here at elevation but especially down in the Sacramento Valley -- where I'll be soon.

I'm off in an hour to let the retinologists dig around inside my eyeball again. Last session was a few days ago and it hurt. But if I'm fixed, then okay. I'm tired of hunt-and-pecking on the laptop.

Usually my eye work is done in the opto group's Sacramento clinic but today my doc is scheduled in Stockton, about the same 2-hour drive from here. Stockton is... vivid. On our previous trip there, we stopped at CostCo for minor shopping. We emerged to find our car had been smashed by a careless driver. Then we heard the helicopter, and sirens, and the high-speed police chase of a stolen delivery truck whizzed by, 100 feet away. The shootings came later. Yeah, there's always something happening in Stockton.

Oops, gotta leave in 45 minutes. Shower, shine, slug more coffee, brace myself. Carpe fucking diem.

The heat wave has eased a bit. Slightly less wildfire smoke than yesterday but still awful, here at elevation but especially down in the Sacramento Valley -- where I'll be soon.

I'm off in an hour to let the retinologists dig around inside my eyeball again. Last session was a few days ago and it hurt. But if I'm fixed, then okay. I'm tired of hunt-and-pecking on the laptop.

Usually my eye work is done in the opto group's Sacramento clinic but today my doc is scheduled in Stockton, about the same 2-hour drive from here. Stockton is... vivid. On our previous trip there, we stopped at CostCo for minor shopping. We emerged to find our car had been smashed by a careless driver. Then we heard the helicopter, and sirens, and the high-speed police chase of a stolen delivery truck whizzed by, 100 feet away. The shootings came later. Yeah, there's always something happening in Stockton.

Oops, gotta leave in 45 minutes. Shower, shine, slug more coffee, brace myself. Carpe fucking diem.

:eek: Hoping you made it out alive.

:eek: Hoping you made it out alive.
I survived. Nothing poked in this time, even though laser was an option. Doc says the eye looks better from the outside. From inside, vision still sucks. Go back next week to see if the inside-the-eyeball blood has settled.

And this time in Stockton were no shootouts, high-speed chases, helicopter pursuits, car-smashings, or other entertainment. Almost a dull day, hey? Except for all the downtown roadwork.

Has anyone here tried that Indonesian coffee with the beans processed and shat-out by a civet cat or something? Standard coffee is getting dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back