The 2023 Geek Pride Story Event: Official Support Page

Hah! I just realized that the submission box does not allow previews of files uploaded in .doc format (hopefully this includes .docx, since my story is now finished, just over 28k words). I'd have to copy and paste the entire thing, then go through and add HTML tags to recreate all the formatting to create something the preview feature can preview, or just upload my .docx file.

I just did that with the paragraph breaks based on the advice above, changing the default (Normal) style from 12-point after-paragraph spacing to 0, and doing two hard carriage returns instead to separate paragraphs. That took a while to go through every paragraph in 56 single-spaced pages with a lot of dialogue, though. I dread the timesink of copying and pasting and then adding my own HTML tags. There aren't just a lot of italics. There are a lot of separate instances of italics, not merely a few long blocks.

Once submitted, do authors have editing options? Or if something turns out broken, do you basically have to delete the story entirely and re-upload? Even if so, I might be willing to just take a flyer on uploading the .docx file and forego the ability to preview. Chalk it up as a learning experience if something goes out of kilter.

For now, the .docx file is uploaded, tags are in place, "2023 Literotica Geek Pride Story Event" is in notes to admin, so basically ready to go. I'll sleep on it and then probably upload as-is tomorrow unless something here gives me cold feet.
At this point, some of this is for future reference.

1. I didn't know that .doc or .docx files made any difference. As mentioned above, .rtf seems to work.

2. I start off in Word plain text format. Works for me, anyway.

3. As mentioned above, let Lit handle the paragraph spacing.

4. I just write the HTML tags into the document as I go along. I can always add more until the actual submission.

5. I've never uploaded anything. I just ctl-A the plain text document, copy it, and paste it into the submission box. That works for me too.

6. I usually have it in the submission box at least two weeks before submitting it. That gives me the time to preview it at my leisure. In this case, there is a deadline to consider, which only applies to events. You don't have the luxury of doing that anymore, so you'll have to make the best of it. For future reference, as I've said.

With or without a deadline, having some weeks to preview it is worth it.

Yes, you can edit after a story goes live. You resubmit the complete new version, with the same title plus the word EDIT. However, edits get low priority (one - two weeks is typical). All scores and comments remain as was, but nobody knows it's an edit except you.

Unless it's a diabolical cock up, I don't bother. I've got stories with html glitches and some really dumb typos, but only once in a million words has someone commented.
One thing: if it's been submitted but not posted, you can open the pending file. You'll get a warning that, if you change anything, it will leave pending mode. You can correct the file if you wish and resubmit it. It will go back to the end of the line again, but if there is no deadline, who cares? But there is a deadline, so you surely don't want to do that.

As electricblue mentioned, it it's actually been posted, that's a different matter. What he says about it is correct. But you would only do that, if at all, after the contest is over, so let's not be concerned about that right now.

Those links at the bottom of the page are site auto-generated. I believe each page on the site holds about 3,500 words then your content spills onto another page and a link is born. Some authors are better than others at figuring out where the page break is going to be, but I'm always surprised how many site pages my story will take up. My geek pride story went over 51K words so I'm guessing I'll see 15 pages, it's always a surprise to me

You cannot link to anything outside of the Literotica environment. If I put a link in my story it will go back to the story event page or maybe another associated story, but site moderators will pounce on links to anything outside of literotica. Besides, if you haven't posted a chapter yet, how do you know what the address for that chapter will be?

Also, in contests you can't enter a chapter from a story that isn't part of the contest. If you're building a universe and have many stand-alone stories in that universe a stand alone story is fine, but you can't drop a chapter from an existing story in. This doesn't rule out a multi chapter story if they are all put in the event but to keep from raising the moderators blood pressure it may be wise to put all the chapters in one entry
I'm still impressed with that 51K words. Since I only have 11,700, if they really hate it, I won't be using up too much of their time. :(

One thing: you can definitely link outside the site in the forums. There is a ton of that doing on, which contributes to these amazing digressions. I've been trying to restrain myself recently, but you went ahead and linked to two ship photos! That's my gimmick! :geek: But it was GTO Racer's thread, so the hell with him.

I'm finished, finally. Just have the editing stage to make it through and I'm good to go!
Honestly, having a standalone to submit as well as a collaboration is more than I could've ever hoped for the weekend before this event. :D Feeling awesome right now, I can't even lie!
i didn't realize it; you have two submissions for the event? How many pages in total do you have to edit?

I hope this goes well, because I've started to write a prequel and at least one sequel. Unhatched chickens, as that expression goes.

I'm finished, finally. Just have the editing stage to make it through and I'm good to go!
Honestly, having a standalone to submit as well as a collaboration is more than I could've ever hoped for the weekend before this event. :D Feeling awesome right now, I can't even lie!
Congratulations! It feels good to complete it.

i didn't realize it; you have two submissions for the event? How many pages in total do you have to edit?

I hope this goes well, because I've started to write a prequel and at least one sequel. Unhatched chickens, as that expression goes.

Through Google Documents they're a total of 55 pages combined. Thankfully, I have help. The second is a collaboration, and my collaborator also did me a great favor of proofing/beta reading the independent work. I could definitely break off with sequels on either story, the inspiration is there, but I'm going to just enjoy this minute to breathe. ☺️

Congratulations! It feels good to complete it.

You are so right, pushing "Publish" has been highly satisfactory with this event. Thank you kindly, SimonDoom.
I've broken away from my typical tropes with the independent work, I'm very pleased with how it's turned out. Quite excited to share it with everyone.

My independent submission, titled Collective Intelligence (Sci-Fi Category) was just approved! 🖤 I'm so thrilled!

I tried to keep it on the shorter side... just under 16K word count, at 15, 800. I was aiming for under 10K. Better luck next time I suppose. 😅

Phew… I didnt think I would make it in time but I did. With much thanks to my editor!

Excited to participate! This is my second competition and first author organized one.

Hope you all enjoy “The Barbarian: A Princess’ Fantasy”!

My independent submission, titled Collective Intelligence (Sci-Fi Category) was just approved! 🖤 I'm so thrilled!

I tried to keep it on the shorter side... just under 16K word count, at 15, 800. I was aiming for under 10K. Better luck next time I suppose. 😅
Mine's also just been accepted. I was vaguely aiming for under 8k and it's 10.5k words.

At least Laurel didn't kick it out of Humour & Satire. I predict at least two comments that it's not funny, one of which will also complain about the sub/dom overtones in the game-players' conversation. It's called Submissives of Catan, so it's not like there's not a blatant clue!

Someone else will probably point out an error in the gameplay, though I think it all stacks up...

Phew… I didnt think I would make it in time but I did. With much thanks to my editor!

Excited to participate! This is my second competition and first author organized one.

Hope you all enjoy “The Barbarian: A Princess’ Fantasy”!

It's not a competition.

I know that's not the point of your post, and I don't want to rain on your parade (congrats on getting done!), but there's nothing competitive about the Geek Pride event. It's a chance for us all to celebrate that geeky subculture we're all into without having to worry about scores all that much.

Geek Pride has a long and complex history, in terms of the challenges around here. It's always been fun.

I was under the impression that they're all going to appear posted on the same day - which is the 25th?
Usually event stories appear in their categories as posted, but then a page for the event appears on the day, listing them all.

But my story was marked as New and should have gone live at 7 or 8am (midnight in Lit land), but hasn't appeared yet. Some categories don't have any stories for 23/5 yet.

It's not a competition.

I know that's not the point of your post, and I don't want to rain on your parade (congrats on getting done!), but there's nothing competitive about the Geek Pride event. It's a chance for us all to celebrate that geeky subculture we're all into without having to worry about scores all that much.

Geek Pride has a long and complex history, in terms of the challenges around here. It's always been fun.
Ok

It's not a competition.

When was the first Geek Anthology again? For the xth year in a row, I've missed the due date for this year's thing, and my follow-on story remains... unfinished. I blame that Doom fellow, his procrastination is contagious.

So @seraph_nocturne and I have a collab for this event, and it's SO CLOSE to done. I'm spending all this evening working on it, but if it doesn't get finished in time, it's all my fault.

I really tried, and she's put so much effort into this, I feel like I'm letting her down if I don't finish my part.

Oof. But at least we both got our solo stuff out on time. (I proofed an early version of her solo work, Collective Intelligence and 🤌 *chef's kiss* )

When was the first Geek Anthology again? For the xth year in a row, I've missed the due date for this year's thing, and my follow-on story remains... unfinished. I blame that Doom fellow, his procrastination is contagious.
2018 was the inaugural, 32 stories, all in Sci-Fi, as stipulated (no longer a requirement.)

I am guessing there will be more this year...

Usually event stories appear in their categories as posted, but then a page for the event appears on the day, listing them all.

But my story was marked as New and should have gone live at 7 or 8am (midnight in Lit land), but hasn't appeared yet. Some categories don't have any stories for 23/5 yet.
Thanks, it's been a while since I've been in an event. I do remember them appearing in both the categories and on the event page. (I remember Lit having very inconsistent ways of presenting that event page.) I'm pretty sure everything went live on the same day no matter what the submission date was.

So @seraph_nocturne and I have a collab for this event, and it's SO CLOSE to done. I'm spending all this evening working on it, but if it doesn't get finished in time, it's all my fault.

I really tried, and she's put so much effort into this, I feel like I'm letting her down if I don't finish my part.
And yet, you're spending your precious minutes writing this and trawling AH. @seraph_nocturne will be disappointed at your lack of commitment to the cause...!

Back