Reading Books For Pleasure

The readability of ebooks depends on the method you use to read them. If you're reading them on your PC it's no harder than anything else you read on the PC. If you're using a hand-held device the quality is varied depending on the device and your preferences.

I use the eBookwise reader which is about the size of a paperback. The screen is 3 x 4 1/2 and you can choose the size of the text to suit your preferences. Also, the screen is backlit so you can read in poor or no light situations. Your little book glows in the dark, eliminating the need to take a flashlight under the covers with you. Right now I've got about 10 books stored in it and it's not even half full. It's perfect to take on long trips where I'd ordinarily have to pack half a suitcase full of books to tide me over.

-B

bridgeburner said:
The readability of ebooks depends on the method you use to read them. If you're reading them on your PC it's no harder than anything else you read on the PC. If you're using a hand-held device the quality is varied depending on the device and your preferences.

I use the eBookwise reader which is about the size of a paperback. The screen is 3 x 4 1/2 and you can choose the size of the text to suit your preferences. Also, the screen is backlit so you can read in poor or no light situations. Your little book glows in the dark, eliminating the need to take a flashlight under the covers with you. Right now I've got about 10 books stored in it and it's not even half full. It's perfect to take on long trips where I'd ordinarily have to pack half a suitcase full of books to tide me over.

-B

Its not like you can't strain your eyes from reading a regular book, but staring at my tv/monitor for 7 hours is not quite how I envision spending a day.

leeroy jenkins said:
Its not like you can't strain your eyes from reading a regular book, but staring at my tv/monitor for 7 hours is not quite how I envision spending a day.

That's why I bought a reader. I can take it anywhere I'd take any other book. I can sit outside on my patio or go to a coffee shop or read in the park or while waiting for a dental appointment.

leeroy jenkins said:
LOL your funny grace, the first thing I did when I got home today was look up her dark hunter website. I have read seize the night and night pleasure. I have with me unread atm kiss of the night, night play, sins of the night, dance with the devil, night embrace.

So I will say thank you if and when you send me the ebook, though how does it wear on your eyes?? Never yet read an ebook is why I ask.

PM me your email addy.

bridgeburner said:
That's why I bought a reader. I can take it anywhere I'd take any other book. I can sit outside on my patio or go to a coffee shop or read in the park or while waiting for a dental appointment.

I just take a book along to read no need for more fancy gadgets that won't stand up to my treatment. Besides products today are cheaply made so you have to buy that extended warranty or replace after several years of constant use.

That sounds cool to me, not having to use a flashlight or something when the power is out. Of course I love just touching a book too . . .

Fury :rose:

Ive been debating getting an ereader lately too. All the conveniences appeal to me, but at the same time, theres nothing like holding a book and snuggling under the covers. And what if my batteries die when theres only 3 pages left!

For the most part I get books from the library so they are not truely free, I mean I do pay some taxes which support them. Other nice thing about having a well stocked library is it cuts down on my having to find space for more books in a room that is a bit overflowing.

Thank you Grace for the hookup, I will have to read them next week sometime.

leeroy jenkins said:
For the most part I get books from the library so they are not truely free, I mean I do pay some taxes which support them. Other nice thing about having a well stocked library is it cuts down on my having to find space for more books in a room that is a bit overflowing.

Thank you Grace for the hookup, I will have to read them next week sometime.

You're welcome.

Zipped though Micah so quickly but it was damned enjoyable!!!

It made me think of a certain special someone.

I finished all of the Anita Blake books yesterday. I'm starting on the Merry Gentry books todya. I'd already read number one a few months ago, so I'm working on number two.

graceanne said:
I finished all of the Anita Blake books yesterday. I'm starting on the Merry Gentry books todya. I'd already read number one a few months ago, so I'm working on number two.

I didn't really like the first Merry Gentry book because the character of Merry wasn't well defined. As the series has progressed I find myself liking it more and more though!

FurryFury said:
I didn't really like the first Merry Gentry book because the character of Merry wasn't well defined. As the series has progressed I find myself liking it more and more though!

That's one of the things I like about Laurell K Hamilton's books. The characters grow. It's not 12 books about the same people, doing the same things, and fighting the same bad guys. You know?

graceanne said:
That's one of the things I like about Laurell K Hamilton's books. The characters grow. It's not 12 books about the same people, doing the same things, and fighting the same bad guys. You know?

Yes!! And thank gawd for it because otherwise I'd have hopped into her Anita Blake series and kicked that woman's ass twice and stolen all her boy toys!!!

-B

bridgeburner said:
Yes!! And thank gawd for it because otherwise I'd have hopped into her Anita Blake series and kicked that woman's ass twice and stolen all her boy toys!!!

-B

LOL Nah, I liked her as she was and as she is later. Everyone's got hang ups, it's nice for once that their's no pretending that the character had all this shit happen, but turned out all right. Or that the love of a man can make all the hurt go away. Anita is messed up, and while she's trying to work with her problems she's not going to just become better overnight, or even in one book. It took 12 books for her to get where she is, and that's more realistic than any romance I've read in a while.

FurryFury said:
Zipped though Micah so quickly but it was damned enjoyable!!!

It made me think of a certain special someone.

Micah was good, but I agree too short!

FurryFury said:
I wanted to make babies with Heinlein damn it!

I LOVED most of his books!

The Door Into Summer
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
and
I Will Fear No Evil

Are my favorites from him, the irascible bastard! I've written so may reports on him and his books! Group sex, incest, sex as both a man and a woman, women in charge of society, men and women both in charge, Lord knows I love that stuff!

I like the way they said the group marriage worked: No one is forced to sleep with anyone, you can sleep alone if you want. The main purpose of the marriage is to raise and protect the children, and to love each other. You can have partners outside of the marriage as long as it doesn't jeopardise the children or others in the marriage.

I am stuck against that 4 only reserve rule again, some of the stuff is not out, some of the stuff is ??, and the last bit I am down the list so its hard to get any more books unless I go to that branch directly. For better or worse if I want to read I do have Exit to Eden, not sure I will finish it though.

graceanne said:
LOL Nah, I liked her as she was and as she is later. Everyone's got hang ups, it's nice for once that their's no pretending that the character had all this shit happen, but turned out all right. Or that the love of a man can make all the hurt go away. Anita is messed up, and while she's trying to work with her problems she's not going to just become better overnight, or even in one book. It took 12 books for her to get where she is, and that's more realistic than any romance I've read in a while.

I'm totally on board with the slow growth, but it almost took too long for me to keep reading the books. She was so judgemental and self-righteous. Of course I had to keep reminding myself that she was only 24, as well. The sex thing was a big issue for me because I didn't see how that was going to get worked around.

As things stand I'm very glad I stuck with the books because I've really enjoyed them and while I don't think I'd ever want to be buddies with Anita, I find her character immensely interesting even if she has horrible fashion sense. ;->

Can I bitch about the Nikes? Here's a woman who regularly goes hand to hand to fight for her life and she's going to wear sneakers??? Yeah, they're comfortable but when you kick somebody they don't DO anything. There are lots of boots made to be every bit as comfortable as- if not more so than- sneakers. Hiking boots HAVE to be comfortable, but you can also put steel toes in them. At the very least they're harder and more dangerous in a fight than tennis shoes. A woman who isn't comfortable unless she's packing heat and she's going to go into a fight with wimpy footwear because she can match the swoosh to her polo shirt?

Lord, you'd think I didn't like the books which isn't the case at all. I devour these books. I think it's just that they're so good I get irritated by the little stuff --- Anita's deplorable fashion sense -- which is greatly Laurell K. Hamilton's deplorable fashion sense -- being one of the last hold outs. Even when she's supposed to be dressed well she generally looks either frumpy or like a female computer engineer. The only time she ever wears anything remotely okay is when Jean-Claude sends her clothes and those are far too extreme for daily outings.

Gah, why am I bitching? I love the books. I'm just irritible this morning and so the things that annoy me are foremost in my mind.

Coffee.

More coffee would be good.

-B

I personally don't like most of her romantic "choices" except for Micah.

I don't care how she dresses so much. That never bothered me. However I have had some steel toed hiking books I found to be very uncomfortable. I usually wear sneakers too. I bought some men's sneakers so I could have the black and silver thing going on. That makes me happy. I think I'd run better in them too. So maybe that is part of the mind set behind the Nikes? Mine are not Nikes though. I'd have to go look to see what they are, and I'm not moving.

FurryFury said:
I personally don't like most of her romantic "choices" except for Micah.

I don't care how she dresses so much. That never bothered me. However I have had some steel toed hiking books I found to be very uncomfortable. I usually wear sneakers too. I bought some men's sneakers so I could have the black and silver thing going on. That makes me happy. I think I'd run better in them too. So maybe that is part of the mind set behind the Nikes? Mine are not Nikes though. I'd have to go look to see what they are, and I'm not moving.

Steel toed boots are HEAVY. They're great for kicking, but they suck for running.

FurryFury said:
I personally don't like most of her romantic "choices" except for Micah. :rose:

Oddly, I think for a lot of people Jean-Claude is supposed to be her number one, but he really isn't written that way. Initially he sort of was but then Richard came on the scene and pushed him out. I don't feel we spend enough time with Jean Claude to have a sense of primacy of affection for him.

SPOILERS AHEAD (for those who haven't read all the books)

I like Micah, but there's not enough tension/conflict for me there a lot of the time. He's hot but it's elemental for her, she doesn't really know why she wants him like she does. It's also very hard for me to get a good picture of him because I see him as taller than 5'4. Not super tall, but two inches would make a difference for me. So I see him that way and then she reminds me that he's teeny-tiny, just like her. (except that I'm 5'4 and I've never felt like a midget except when all my roommates were over 6 feet.)

Nathaniel is really appealing to me and I never expected him to be--- initially he was way too needy and passive. I'm glad Jason finally got a little and I like the way he pushes the envelope with Anita. I loved the three-way with Asher and Jean-Claude. I want to know more about Damian and whether or not he's getting any regular or if it was just the one-time thing.

But my favorite? I honestly don't know. I kind of want to say Jean-Claude because he's the one who seems to have given up the most for her. Years he's waited for her to come around and make her own choices and grow into a comfort with him and he still gets dissed a lot. But he does a lot of kind of fruity stuff that bugs --- I think that's just a difference between Hamilton and myself and what we consider romantic.

Generally, I find weres more appealing than vamps. I like the primal, animal nature and I love the idea of communal sleeping while waking up next to a dead body kind of squicks me. I don't think I'd kick any of them out of bed for eating crackers, though. ;->

-B

bridgeburner said:
Oddly, I think for a lot of people Jean-Claude is supposed to be her number one, but he really isn't written that way. Initially he sort of was but then Richard came on the scene and pushed him out. I don't feel we spend enough time with Jean Claude to have a sense of primacy of affection for him.

SPOILERS AHEAD (for those who haven't read all the books)

I like Micah, but there's not enough tension/conflict for me there a lot of the time. He's hot but it's elemental for her, she doesn't really know why she wants him like she does. It's also very hard for me to get a good picture of him because I see him as taller than 5'4. Not super tall, but two inches would make a difference for me. So I see him that way and then she reminds me that he's teeny-tiny, just like her. (except that I'm 5'4 and I've never felt like a midget except when all my roommates were over 6 feet.)

Nathaniel is really appealing to me and I never expected him to be--- initially he was way too needy and passive. I'm glad Jason finally got a little and I like the way he pushes the envelope with Anita. I loved the three-way with Asher and Jean-Claude. I want to know more about Damian and whether or not he's getting any regular or if it was just the one-time thing.

But my favorite? I honestly don't know. I kind of want to say Jean-Claude because he's the one who seems to have given up the most for her. Years he's waited for her to come around and make her own choices and grow into a comfort with him and he still gets dissed a lot. But he does a lot of kind of fruity stuff that bugs --- I think that's just a difference between Hamilton and myself and what we consider romantic.

Generally, I find weres more appealing than vamps. I like the primal, animal nature and I love the idea of communal sleeping while waking up next to a dead body kind of squicks me. I don't think I'd kick any of them out of bed for eating crackers, though. ;->

-B

I like Jean Claude, but like you it's very hard to get a feel for him. The same with Asher. What I did like about Asher is he won't put up with her on again/off again bull shit.

I liked Richard at first, but as the books go on I get sick of his self pity.

I also have troubles with the fact that all the guys in her book are short. I also roll my eyes whenever she remarks on being tiny, at 5'3". I'm 5' tall and I'd kill to be 5'3".

I really like Jason. I wish that Laurell would find a chick for him. I don't think that he and Anita would be able to make more than fuck buddy's though. They're both way to dominant.

I like Nathaniel all along, but if he is how he was I wouldn't like him as a boyfriend for her. Like she said, it'd been like fucking a child. But he's definately growing, and I think he's perfect for her.

Well I started the series at Narcissus in Chain, lol I know its the middle. So didnt get to read the evolvment of her and JC or Richard. I tried going back and reading from the beginning after I read all the rest, but I couldnt, it was too boring.
As far as Micah goes, like you said BB, and there just doesnt seem to be much substance to the 'ship at this point. Im ok with JC, but they dont do a helluva lot (from where I started anyway) I loved Jason, Asher, Damien. But Im gonna hafta say my favorite so is Nathaniel. That scene where he finally took control, while they were at her office was hot. Hes got both sides for me, submissive, and yet strong and growing into more dominant. And I too like the whole pard thing, big puppy piles etc.
And yes her fashion is awful to a fault. And even when she slinks it up a bit, its in innapropriate places.

Grace,

Yep

Yep

and Yep

'nother Yep (BIG YEP actually)

and a Yep

I think that's why I like Asher and Jason so much, too --- they call her on her bullshit. Definitely want to kick Richard's ass, but I like the way he's been set up to show her how her own hangups and selfishness affected everyone else for so long. Doesn't make me like him personally but as a piece of story-craft he's great!

Back