Christmas dinner menus?

Mine went pretty well - chicken could have been better but tiramisu was excellent.
Bonus points for it being the first time the ex and the BF have met and that being all good, even with them both staying over (and after quite a long messy history).

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere if I could be arsed looking.
look no further than its origin, he's the joke

I am in charge of an app and garlic bread for tonight. The garlic is roasting and I am going to make bourbon glazed pork belly with caramelized apples for the amuse bouche.
delish!

i'm waiting to find enough room to get into the cheeseball :eek:

Wild rice-stuffed roasted game hen, with almond string beans, and homemade fruitcake for dessert. A pinot grigio wine from the Biltmore estate.

Got treated to a super trad Swedish Christmas dinner today that I wasn't expecting.

5 ways to pickle a herring
4 ways to cook a pig
3 types of cabbage prepared in as many ways
2 types of fish (herring doesn't count)
1 big ass pile of specially seasoned meatballs

And ungodly amounts of random cheeses, flatbreads, schnapps and ales.

Everything I had at the spot today was catered basic fare - from where I know not, they always rotate every year - but it was good.

There were lots left over on the spread. I took home enough ham, turkey, mac & cheese and mashed taters in containers to last for about a week of home grubbin'. I always add in my own seasonings and other enhancements where the caterers fail. Gonna be some happy sammiches bein' made purty soon. :D

Got treated to a super trad Swedish Christmas dinner today that I wasn't expecting.

5 ways to pickle a herring
4 ways to cook a pig
3 types of cabbage prepared in as many ways
2 types of fish (herring doesn't count)
1 big ass pile of specially seasoned meatballs

And ungodly amounts of random cheeses, flatbreads, schnapps and ales.

Aquavit.....

Everything I had at the spot today was catered basic fare - from where I know not, they always rotate every year - but it was good.

There were lots left over on the spread. I took home enough ham, turkey, mac & cheese and mashed taters in containers to last for about a week of home grubbin'. I always add in my own seasonings and other enhancements where the caterers fail. Gonna be some happy sammiches bein' made purty soon. :D

I sent double smoked ham home with the clan. And, we were even generous enough to send extra portions of grandma's recipe cheesecake home with everyone.

I've had a variety. Everything from prime rib, shrimp cocktail, pickled herring, pasta, ham, baked beans, cheesy potatoes, turkey, green bean casserole, etc...

yes, my pants are a little tight. :p

Mine went pretty well - chicken could have been better but tiramisu was excellent.
Bonus points for it being the first time the ex and the BF have met and that being all good, even with them both staying over (and after quite a long messy history).

You have rings in both their noses; mission accomplished!

Interesting take on what a 'relationship' is.

I was impressed at the effort you all made to be a united family for your kid, and how nice it is that all three adults are putting the kid's happiness first. If it's possible it's got to be the best thing for the child. Too many end up as pawns between bickering adults.

I was impressed at the effort you all made to be a united family for your kid, and how nice it is that all three adults are putting the kid's happiness first. If it's possible it's got to be the best thing for the child. Too many end up as pawns between bickering adults.

It's interesting ... it wasn't really intentional to have everyone here - me and the husband have been getting on really well post-separation, and we were always going to spend Christmas together as a family. I didn't think the BF was going to come along, but circumstances changed, and he changed, and in the end he was here. Everyone was really very pleasant, and they ganged up on me a couple of times (not in the way some people will no doubt decide I mean ... just mutual hassling). It made me extremely happy that it all went well ... they are the three people I care most about in the world, so having them all here and cooking yummy for for everyone was pretty awesome.

I missed out the most important Christmas dinner!

Because the duck was slow cooked, the bones went soft as chalk and there was a big pan of juices. So true entire back of the duck, all the juices, the leftover vegetables from everyone's plates, and a scoop of regular dog food were mixed together. Tails did not stop wagging until bowls were cleaned and thanks were slobbered.

Me too.

Dad had a business partner that was married four times and divorced three. Each year he would drive from Colorado to Texas for Thanksgiving. Jim would get together with all of them a share a meal.

It's interesting ... it wasn't really intentional to have everyone here - me and the husband have been getting on really well post-separation, and we were always going to spend Christmas together as a family. I didn't think the BF was going to come along, but circumstances changed, and he changed, and in the end he was here. Everyone was really very pleasant, and they ganged up on me a couple of times (not in the way some people will no doubt decide I mean ... just mutual hassling). It made me extremely happy that it all went well ... they are the three people I care most about in the world, so having them all here and cooking yummy for for everyone was pretty awesome.

Sounds like a great, jovial day. I’m glad it worked out well.

The porkbelly was a success. Now the question is what to make for New Year’s? Our friends that we spent Christmas Eve will be joining us.

Sounds like a great, jovial day. I’m glad it worked out well.

The porkbelly was a success. Now the question is what to make for New Year’s? Our friends that we spent Christmas Eve will be joining us.

I've started thinking about a new years dinner, just for me and the boyfriend. I got a seafood cookbook for Christmas, and the other day we found the beach that's a bit of a drive away where the mussels obviously grow, although the tide was too high to pick any at the time. I think we might go back at proper low tide and get a bag full, and cook something delicious from the Christmas present ... or if there's no mussels, go to the local fish shop and get something that's the basis for one of the more unusual recipes. I'm loving living in a seaside town - the other day I watched the boat that belongs to the fish shop come in ... given that the shop and their processing place is literally on the wharf, that's some pretty low food miles.

Me too.

Dad had a business partner that was married four times and divorced three. Each year he would drive from Colorado to Texas for Thanksgiving. Jim would get together with all of them a share a meal.

I'm really lucky that my ex felt the same about separating as I did - we didn't hate each other, but we didn't want to live together any more. It's really nice that the relationship hasn't 'finished' per se, just turned into something else. We went out to the local bar while he was here, and joked around a lot just like we would have when we were married. We still call each other 'babe' (although we did manage to not do that in front of the BF, because that would be a bit awkward).

I've started thinking about a new years dinner, just for me and the boyfriend. I got a seafood cookbook for Christmas, and the other day we found the beach that's a bit of a drive away where the mussels obviously grow, although the tide was too high to pick any at the time. I think we might go back at proper low tide and get a bag full, and cook something delicious from the Christmas present ... or if there's no mussels, go to the local fish shop and get something that's the basis for one of the more unusual recipes. I'm loving living in a seaside town - the other day I watched the boat that belongs to the fish shop come in ... given that the shop and their processing place is literally on the wharf, that's some pretty low food miles.

Fresh and local is the way to go when possible. I’m not big on seafood even when I lived near the ocean. I’m thinking maybe I’ll go the steak, bacon, nuts, veggie pasta route, but it’s a super rich dish to make for a long party. Something along these lines.

Creamy-Blue-Cheese-Pasta-Steak-Bacon-2H.jpg

Fresh and local is the way to go when possible. I’m not big on seafood even when I lived near the ocean. I’m thinking maybe I’ll go the steak, bacon, nuts, veggie pasta route, but it’s a super rich dish to make for a long party. Something along these lines.

Creamy-Blue-Cheese-Pasta-Steak-Bacon-2H.jpg

Yum ... my ex got a pasta machine recently and made me some last time I was at his place. I love pasta, but my tiny home is a bit too small for the production process.

I love seafood, all kinds. And it always pleases me immensely to collect my own, although mussels is about as good as I get. The BF had a flounder by the tail the other day, but it got away - I think we need to get a net.

Back