Christmas dinner menus?

KimGordon67

Rampant feminist
I'm kinda interested in what people around the world do for their Christmas day eating ... I figure we've got about three pages before the thread devolves into some political squabble, but let's see how we go.

I have a very small Christmas, due my dysfunctional natal family not really being able to be in the same room at the same time, so it's just me, my ex-husband, our kid, and maybe my BF. I'm planning ...
- a tomato and watermelon (I know, weird, but I like something different) gazpacho, hopefully with some tiny loaves of sourdough bread that a local baker makes;
- chicken roasted with apples and cider, that are then cooked down into gravy, with asparagus, new potato salad, and a green salad;
- a strawberry tiramisu cake thing - it's a Yottam Ottolenghi (sp?) recipe that looks really yum.
- a big jug of sangria.

All after hopefully a good Christmas day swim at the beach ... because we can do that, and I live by the beach now.

I wanted to do a standing rib roast this year, but the kids are demanding ham and all rotten potatoes. I will also make roasted acorn squash.

That definitely sounds like a warm weather Christmas menu. Strawberry tirimisu sounds good. I may have to check that out.

Appetizer = Pumpkin squash soup.
Entre = Roasted Cornish hen with roasted veggies & potatoes and stuffing (of course!)
Dessert = Mince pie with an ice cream sidecar. (neither home made unfortunately)
Snacks = Cookies, chips, and assorted nuts. There might be a fruitcake, that somehow fell into my shopping cart when I wasn't looking, on the table too. ;)

I wanted to do a standing rib roast this year, but the kids are demanding ham and all rotten potatoes. I will also make roasted acorn squash.

That definitely sounds like a warm weather Christmas menu. Strawberry tirimisu sounds good. I may have to check that out.

We have a summer Christmas here ... it's kind of weird, because people still insist on a lot of the winter Christmas traditions (like huge hot meals and puddings), but I try to go for a bit of a mix. And I live by the beach now, so the swimming is a bonus.

Here's the tiramisu recipe. The gazpacho recipe I'm using is also one of his ... I think he might be my new favourite food hero. I actually went and bought the first loaf tin I've ever owned to make this tiramisu thing.

I don't think I've ever had acorn ... what's it like?

Appetizer = Pumpkin squash soup.
Entre = Roasted Cornish hen with roasted veggies & potatoes and stuffing (of course!)
Dessert = Mince pie with an ice cream sidecar. (neither home made unfortunately)
Snacks = Cookies, chips, and assorted nuts. There might be a fruitcake in there too. ;)

I really can't handle fruit cake ... we had chocolate cake at our wedding, because traditional wedding cake = ugh. There's an abundance of fresh strawberries here atm, so it seems criminal to not use them ... I'm trialling a 'pick your own strawberries' place today to see how that works out price and hassle-wise.

Are Cornish hens tiny, or is it just a variety of a 'normal' chicken?

Some kind of veggy soup.

Turkey with sage and onion stuffing. Roast and mashed spuds, carrots, sprouts (ugh, but you kinda have to), pigs in blankets, gammon, gravy.

Christmas pudding and or trifle.

I believe we'll have ham from the half pig we bought. There will be potatoes. And, something that classifies as a veggie.

I know what my granny's making but idk about gf's parents.

But our menu is the good one.
That I can't fucking eat.
I'm so mad I could split.

It's gonna be-
Turkey
Ham
Masked potatoes
Candied sweet potatoes
sweet corn
sweet peas
green beans
soup beans
baked beans
rolls
cornbread (sweet and savory, if I could eat it I'd eat the sweet yellow, as it is the superior corn bread)
dressing
pumpkin rolls
shitty cookies that taste of nothing
various pies, not a big fruit pie person so idk, just a bunch of pies

I know I've forgotten stuff

Oh, those eggs my brother makes, deviled eggs
cole slaw

see, there's a lot of shit I don't eat so it's hard for me to remember

that canned sauce that retains the shape of the can
gravy

cake

my sister-in-law, brother's gf makes casseroles, just like 40 casseroles, I never knew what a fucking casserole was until I met her but the broccoli one is pretty good

I know there's more shit but I'm forgetting it.

I might try to eat despite my infirmary.

Oh, that plate of cut up raw veggies, like onions and tomatoes and whatnot. Idk I don't use those, really. That's another one of the things I don't really eat and therefore don't think about.

Idk man, normal Christmas shit.

My mom's terrible fucking pie is one of the pies. I hate that shit. Idk why people eat it. She doesn't put near enough sugar in it so it still kinda tastes like baker's chocolate.

potato salad, is one of the things I don't eat but is always there. Despite there being mashed potatoes, the obviously superior potato dish.

Did I say cake? I'll probably make cake.

That's all I can think of. Wine, beer, and pop, I guess count. Coffee sometimes if the itus sets in.

Barely concealed hate. Like that fierce aunty hate that somehow makes the food taste better because you REALLY have to concentrate on it to avoid talking to the full-of-hate aunties and drunkles.

I really can't handle fruit cake ... we had chocolate cake at our wedding, because traditional wedding cake = ugh. There's an abundance of fresh strawberries here atm, so it seems criminal to not use them ... I'm trialling a 'pick your own strawberries' place today to see how that works out price and hassle-wise.

Are Cornish hens tiny, or is it just a variety of a 'normal' chicken?

They are a small chicken about the size of a Bantam. About 1 1/2 lbs dressed out. Each one is enough for 2 people.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT5X3QlEEh1pNC6-05uzktlsm-qUoHKaxsu-pAo68XWyjEHRrz

Most people buy fryers at the store so that's a reference you can use for size. I split them down the spine/breast, coat with oil and slit the skin to put a mix of garlic, butter, and poultry seasonings underneath. Bake flat until crispy and brown.

They don't have much fat so you don't get much pan drippings for sauce/gravy. What i get I usually mix into a roux and add chicken stock and white wine.

Fruitcake, like Mince Pie, is awesome. No one else likes it so I get it for myself.

sissy will be fixing:
Turkey
Sweet Potatoes
Corn
Green Beans
Corn Bread

Apple Pie

Not having a large meal this year!

I really dislike brussel sprouts. Candied yams are a new thing to me ... what makes them 'candied'?

Brussels sprouts, if done right are amazing. I rinse them very well, then cut in half and let dry. Then I cook a pound of GOOD applewood smoked bacon until crisp and set aside. Next, toss sprouts in the bacon fat and transfer to baking sheet, season with course sea salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder and roast at 350 degrees until browned. Transfer them to platter, dress with a white balsamic reduction, and too with shaved Parmesan reggiano cheese and add crumbled bacon. Try it and get back to me on it!

Oh I do miss making the Holiday Spreads!!! Christmas was always a Prime Rib with all the fixings and appetizer trays and mulled cider and bubbly.

Xmas will be another Tuesday here - I passed on putting up my tree and lights and village.
I did pick up a quarter spiral ham to glaze and bake, and a butternut squash, abd brussel sprouts and stuffing fixings, veggies, and dips and cheeses/crackers, and other treats to enjoy. I'll do some festive meals to celebrate a little - and have left overs to watch football with :)

We have a summer Christmas here ... it's kind of weird, because people still insist on a lot of the winter Christmas traditions (like huge hot meals and puddings), but I try to go for a bit of a mix. And I live by the beach now, so the swimming is a bonus.

Here's the tiramisu recipe. The gazpacho recipe I'm using is also one of his ... I think he might be my new favourite food hero. I actually went and bought the first loaf tin I've ever owned to make this tiramisu thing.

I don't think I've ever had acorn ... what's it like?

That sounds divine.

Acorn squash

I believe we'll have ham from the half pig we bought. There will be potatoes. And, something that classifies as a veggie.

I bet that’ll be good. I think the munchkins insisted on ham instead of a rib roast because that is one of the few times that we have soda in the house. I glaze the ham with cola, brown sugar and curry.

The main event is Stuffed and Rolled Pork Tenderloin w/ apple, sage and sausage stuffing. Green beans, roasted red potatoes and probably carrots. Home made apple sauce. Also a red wine reduction sauce.

Dessert - maybe apple dumplings, ice cream and whipped cream. Plus there will be christmas cookies (crunchy sugar cookie and snickerdoodles)

I bet that’ll be good. I think the munchkins insisted on ham instead of a rib roast because that is one of the few times that we have soda in the house. I glaze the ham with cola, brown sugar and curry.

SWMBO has decided on no-beef for a while so no rib roast. I don't even know if this ham was cured or fresh before it was frozen. I might even cook it on the deck in the AKORN with a bit of smoke.

I got some ripe as fuck Kim Chi I'm going to eat with a bunch of eggs and bulgogi all wrapped up in seaweed.

Because it's a Tuesday :cool:

They are a small chicken about the size of a Bantam. About 1 1/2 lbs dressed out. Each one is enough for 2 people.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT5X3QlEEh1pNC6-05uzktlsm-qUoHKaxsu-pAo68XWyjEHRrz

Most people buy fryers at the store so that's a reference you can use for size. I split them down the spine/breast, coat with oil and slit the skin to put a mix of garlic, butter, and poultry seasonings underneath. Bake flat until crispy and brown.

They don't have much fat so you don't get much pan drippings for sauce/gravy. What i get I usually mix into a roux and add chicken stock and white wine.

Fruitcake, like Mince Pie, is awesome. No one else likes it so I get it for myself.

I can't imagine any red blooded American saying a Cornish hen would feed 2 people.

Maybe if they're kids. Kids don't eat food. Idk how they live.

Here's a story, one time I found a chicken nugget in my boot. Like a whole ass perfectly good chicken nugget. I gave it to the dog. The end.

Back