WTF/FUNNY Gifs, Pics, & Videos: Volume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
440lb blue whale heart.

JOYqTrS.jpg

Shouldn't the naked picture of Rosie O'Donnell go in the nude celebrities thread? ...oops sorry didn't read the description.

Rocks. Lots of rocks. Start with boulders to form a base, then smaller rocks, then gravel, then blacktop.

That seems like a bad idea. During an earthquake the ground does this thing called liquefaction. That would shake apart that road again. I would have thought that a lot of steel rebar along with long steel spikes driven into the hillside along with a crapload of concrete would be necessary.

That seems like a bad idea. During an earthquake the ground does this thing called liquefaction. That would shake apart that road again. I would have thought that a lot of steel rebar along with long steel spikes driven into the hillside along with a crapload of concrete would be necessary.

One could reinforce the boulders with rebar. Something has to be put in place to form the base on that steep angle. I, personally, don't think concrete would work for the whole replacement. Something has to be below it to give it stability.

As always, I'm not a mechanical engineer. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

I remember this old timer telling this story of a bureaucrat with the railroad that was looking over the books and noticed a section of track that was costing the railroad 5 million a year. Thinking he could save the railroad a butt load of money a few signatures later and funding was rescinded for that section of track. The hillside gave way (along with the track) a short time later when it thawed out due to the refrigerant being pumped through lines throughout the hillside being shut off.

Its a fun story. Probably not totally factual. Still sometimes its cheaper to freeze a creeping hillside.

Though I would think that section of road would get a bunch of sheet piling if they were going to go with an infill instead of a bridge.

Wow! I know it can't be but that looks just like San Pablo Damn Road as it runs through San Pablo Damn Reservoir in West Contra Costa County, Ca.
I was going to say Hwy 101 in Northern Cali . . . I've been over that stretch of highway and they did have some serious issues with it falling away. I also notice the sign in the background with the sharp-curve symbol . . . VERY familiar on that section of highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back