What's off about this? Let's test attention to detail.

lovecraft68

Bad Doggie
We all know fiction is fiction, be it movie/TV/book and we all know that most fiction is based somewhat in reality and strives for that, but has moments where it becomes 'fiction gotta fiction' and you need to roll with it.

I often have a hard time with that. I've always been good at spotting things that were off, but noticed it became a bigger deal once I started writing and doing the best I could to keep everything consistent and real as possible. So now I sit there and pick things apart "No way could he actually.. No, that would not work that way. Didn't they say this would happen an hour ago, but now its not happening? etc...

I feel writers end up doing this and would like to think script writers/screen play/directors would as well but...maybe not because I see so much inconsistency. Now some of these things are glaring, some you do need to think a little

This is the now famous dance clip from Netflix Wednesday Adams show. There is something glaringly off here that jumped at me right away, but everyone I have asked hasn't caught on to it.

But they're not writers so let's see if you folks see it and let's make a game out of it and if you have similar examples post them and ask what's off here? Don't give your answer right away.

Oh, and of course I'm sure people will see more than just what we post.

Granted you might have not seen the show, so if no one hits it off the bat I'll give the clue that should tell everyone the answer, and its in the show so its easy...if you're obsessive like a lot of creatives are.

That dry ice cocktail is sure bubbling away for a long time.
Does Wednesday have a tattoo on her collarbone? I couldn't quite see.

Given the characterisation of Wednesday and lots of other characters was frankly terrible, the ropey plot and sets didn't really compare.

Well, there's no way she gets behind him without him seeing her.
So that little piece of choreography is just for funsies.

I haven't seen the show, so maybe there's something else that would stand out if I knew any of the background

No fucking clue. I agree with Kumquat; I thought she was a worse version of the movie version- which is a complete flip of her original character show and cartoon version. That always bothered me.

Well, there's no way she gets behind him without him seeing her.
So that little piece of choreography is just for funsies.

I haven't seen the show, so maybe there's something else that would stand out if I knew any of the background
I watched it and still don't know. I never catch things that aren't blatantly obvious.

Given the characterisation of Wednesday and lots of other characters was frankly terrible, the ropey plot and sets didn't really compare.
I was considering watching it, but it didn't really 'grab' me from the trailer, and this makes me even less interested.

Thinking about it just now, the thing I loved about the Adams family was they fully embraced their weird. So the idea of shunting her off to a boarding school for magic people feels like it goes against the premise of the show. And kind of derivative, now that I think about it more.

I was considering watching it, but it didn't really 'grab' me from the trailer, and this makes me even less interested.

Thinking about it just now, the thing I loved about the Adams family was they fully embraced their weird. So the idea of shunting her off to a boarding school for magic people feels like it goes against the premise of the show. And kind of derivative, now that I think about it more.
Netflix really Netflixed them, I'll tell you that. I'd say the only two people close to original are Gomez and Thing. Well... Morticia has always been a witch, but she seems like she despises Wednesday and it's obvious she despises her mom. Uncle Fester wasn't too far off. I think they would send both their kids to a boarding school, but only if they wanted to go. In the original, they went to public school.

They massacered my fam, like they did my girl Sabrina- which I also found slightly offensive.

I'm heading off so the answer is this.

The school the kids are attending is Nevermore dedicated to Edgar Allen Poe.

All the students are supernatural in some way...Gorgons, shapeshifters, werewolves, sirens etc...

But every one of them is somehow dressed in white and only Wednesday is dressed in black.

This works if she's attending a normal school where her goth schtick would stand out but this one is for people just like her.

I can assure you that when you have a crowd dedicated to Poe-or HPL- you will see a sea of black I can attest to this from attending Necronimicon multiple times(an HPL dedicated convention)

For some reason this hit me within seconds on the first watch.

I literally can't pay attention to anything but Jenna... I fail. Thanks for coming out with it LC.

Being the young whippersnapper I am, I watched the show and enjoyed it reasonably. I felt like the whole love-triangle thing was forced, likewise for the boarding school, but I've seen much worse adaptations so for what it was, it wasn't awful. It was meh. I hear the next season they're dropping all the coming-of-age cliches and letting Wednesday shine on her own... hopefully it'll do her character justice. I really loved Jenna in this role.

The theme of the Rave'N Dance was winter or ice or some such, and most characters came dressed in white, except I think maybe Bianca (in blue) and Enid (almost always pink or rainbow or something). Ironically Nevermore isn't super gothic inclined despite the grandfather of all things Gothic being their founder and namesake... the uniforms are black and blue, but Wednesday wears only monochrome schemes and favors black because 'she's allergic to color'. And of course, since she's the star of the show... they're going to go to great lengths to make her stand out.

Well so I actually kinda like this scene. But if we're talking about immersion, the dancer in me can't help cringing a little.

Granted, Wednesday's moves went viral for a reason, and Jenna Ortega made them up herself, so major props are due her way. But these are obviously designed to look more suave and cohesive on camera than they would, say, up on a stage in front of a live audience. Which is okay! I'm not about to fault Ortega for making a dance that only looks cool when it's filmed from fifty different angles and then edited back together!

But since you asked, lovecraft68, as far as I can tell, there's a lot of smoke and mirrors being employed to make her look so cool, so as far as immersion goes, it's hard to believe all these onlookers would wowing and clearing room on the dance floor (much less breaking up with their girlfriends) just so she could white-girl-dance like this.

---

Oh, and I see you've posted your answer while I was typing this. I concede that yeah, she was the only one in black at an Edgar Allen Poe dance, which seems just heinously unlikely. But this didn't stand out to me in this scene, I admit. It struck me as a considered visual choice. I felt like they wanted this scene to look like this, to emphasize her enthusiastic nonconformity and what have you, and I liked the end result. Plus it's not just this scene; elsewhere, Wednesday is chockfull of ham fisted color coding.

Also, what seraph_nocturne said!

Well so I actually kinda like this scene. But if we're talking about immersion, the dancer in me can't help cringing a little.

Granted, Wednesday's moves went viral for a reason, and Jenna Ortega made them up herself, so major props are due her way. But these are obviously designed to look more suave and cohesive on camera than they would, say, up on a stage in front of a live audience. Which is okay! I'm not about to fault Ortega for making a dance that only looks cool when it's filmed from fifty different angles and then edited back together!

But since you asked, lovecraft68, as far as I can tell, there's a lot of smoke and mirrors being employed to make her look so cool, so as far as immersion goes, it's hard to believe all these onlookers would wowing and clearing room on the dance floor (much less breaking up with their girlfriends) just so she could white-girl-dance like this.

---

Oh, and I see you've posted your answer while I was typing this. I concede that yeah, she was the only one in black at an Edgar Allen Poe dance, which seems just heinously unlikely. But this didn't stand out to me in this scene, I admit. It struck me as a considered visual choice. I felt like they wanted this scene to look like this, to emphasize her enthusiastic nonconformity and what have you, and I liked the end result. Plus it's not just this scene; elsewhere, Wednesday is chockfull of ham fisted color coding.

Also, what seraph_nocturne said!

Oh... must not forget the ending, when the bullies pulled the 'shower everyone in blood' prank. How else would it stand out so well if they weren't all wearing white? :ROFLMAO:

If I remember correctly, white was the theme for the dance. It was specifically mentioned.

What really threw me off on that episode was later... I work on fire systems. There's no way you can pump fake blood through the sprinkler system like that.

And the other movie myth is all the sprinkler heads go off at once.

They don't. They're set off by heat, so only the ones that get hot enough from the flames go off.

It’s an overly stylized scene, maybe. The show overall is not without its flaws, from what I’ve seen. But Jenna Ortega was fantastic in that role, this scene included - perhaps especially.

I think I see what you’re saying. As a writer I hold things to a different standard than I think some others do. But I don’t think I agree with your point on Wednesday specifically. I look at what the storytellers are trying to convey. And verisimilitude, or a lack thereof, is really beside the point here.

And of course, since she's the star of the show... they're going to go to great lengths to make her stand out.
Exactly. That didn't strike me as any kind of mistake. It seemed like a deliberate choice to emphasize that even in this school for unusual people, Wednesday is more unusual than the rest.

"It struck me as a considered visual choice. I felt like they wanted this scene to look like this, to emphasize her enthusiastic nonconformity and what have you, and I liked the end result. Plus it's not just this scene; elsewhere, Wednesday is chockfull of ham fisted color coding."

My thoughts exactly.

If I remember correctly, white was the theme for the dance. It was specifically mentioned.

What really threw me off on that episode was later... I work on fire systems. There's no way you can pump fake blood through the sprinkler system like that.

And the other movie myth is all the sprinkler heads go off at once.

They don't. They're set off by heat, so only the ones that get hot enough from the flames go off.

Just ruin my dreams of being showered with blood by the sprinkler system will you!

Is the answer that the whole thing is deeply deeply irritating?

Cos that's all I found myself thinking watching it.

(I wanted to play, I really did, but thank you for confirming I'm not going to be watching this)

I'm heading off so the answer is this.

The school the kids are attending is Nevermore dedicated to Edgar Allen Poe.

All the students are supernatural in some way...Gorgons, shapeshifters, werewolves, sirens etc...

But every one of them is somehow dressed in white and only Wednesday is dressed in black.

This works if she's attending a normal school where her goth schtick would stand out but this one is for people just like her.

I can assure you that when you have a crowd dedicated to Poe-or HPL- you will see a sea of black I can attest to this from attending Necronimicon multiple times(an HPL dedicated convention)

For some reason this hit me within seconds on the first watch.

In fairness, that was one of the first things that I found deeply, deeply irritating about it, so I'm going to claim this one as a win.

I presumed there was some kind of story reason for everyone wearing white, but even so, it clearly an annoying stylization choice.

I read that she had COVID, felt like hell, was just able to muscle through the shoot, and now wishes she could hav a redo.

I liked the series anyway. Super fun.

The thing that struck me is the endless appetite for rehashing and rebooting existing properties rather than coming up with something new. It's a weird, lazy (but understandable from a financial point of view) tic of this generation of entertainment makers and entertainment viewers. Why Wednesday Adams? Why not come up with a new character?

The black and white thing didn't strike me because it's an obvious visual choice.

Given its a show aimed at pre-teens, I was amused that my family pre-teen goth, who is remarkably like Wednesday, was unimpressed with the series, because they changed her character so much and 'it was just like any other high school drama with wanting boyfriends and stuff, just dressed up to look like Wednesday Addams'.

Back