What would you do if Literotica suddenly went away?

FifthEstate

California Lover
What if you woke up tomorrow and Literotica was gone? It’s a question you’ll hopefully never have to answer due to the fact that even if Laurel and Manu decide they want to spend the rest of their days sipping Pina Coladas in Tahiti, someone would presumably have to pony up lots of dough to acquire the site and in so doing, wouldn’t be shutting it down anytime soon. But what if? How would it change you? How many times a day do you visit the site/forum now? Do you have all your stories backed up?

I have to guiltily admit, Literotica is in my top 2-3 clicks each and every day. My life would be very different without it. How would it be for you?

Last edited:
Interesting question. It's a big part of my routine, and it's the only place that I publish stories and participate in online forums about erotica.

I doubt very much those online estimates bear any relationship to what Literotica would sell for. They might be based on traffic rank, but my impression is this site is severely under-monetized.

I've had two sites disappear on me--one a story site. It came back but I haven't returned. I have my stories on more than one site as a backup. Most of them are in the marketplace too.

I've had two sites disappear on me--one a story site. It came back but I haven't returned. I have my stories on more than one site as a backup. Most of them are in the marketplace too.
I think you are way more the exception than the rule. But while you post/sell stories elsewhere, you’re on the Lit forums a lot. What if they weren’t there?

I think you are way more the exception than the rule. But while you post/sell stories elsewhere, you’re on the Lit forums a lot. What if they weren’t there?
As I said, the stories are elsewhere. Besides that, I'm near the end of life. What do I care happens to either Lit. or my stories after I'm gone?

I'm posting a lot on Literotica to take breaks from writing. If Lit. bit the dust, I'd find somewhere else to do that with.

I've been through that scenario at least three times. There are other sites with other rules to learn and fewer readers, but I wouldn't stop writing.

That said, I hope that situation never arises while I can still punch the keys on my keyboard. Literotica is by far the best site I've ever found.

I'd miss the AH, and the friends I have made here. Anonymity has a downside, you know.
True, but seeming as we're spread out over the world, it really doesn't make that much of a difference, as it's unlikely most of us will catch up IRL. It's the people, not the name.

But if I did win lotto and decided to travel, a PM to those friends I'd made would be sent.

My stories are backed up on AO3 and elsewhere in the case of older works. I would miss the AH and other people’s stories though. Hopefully someone would revive Lit if it suddenly died.

It's okay guys, if Lit got wiped I've got a back up on a stack of floppy disks to restore from. I might even burn onto a CD.

But if it did go, I guess AH would go too, and I'd miss you all. Well, almost all of you :)

It's about the only place I go for free stories and pics, never met anyone off here, and not really had in depth conversation, be it sexual or not, the odd where are you from etc but that's it. I would miss looking at the pics, as I would the stories, in the genre I like so yes I would definitely miss it.

I'd post some stories elsewhere, try Smashwords, ssol etc.
AO3 could take some of them, but that's really only for fanfic. But it does have links to various fandoms and writing communities, eg on Dreamwidth (the non-Russian evolution of Livejournal), so I'd probably end up dojng more chat there.

Or Reddit. There are some good subreddits, if you can find them...

I really should back my stuff up far better. Over the ten years I've been writing, I've had three total data crashes on different devices, and I no longer have a complete set of files in one sensible place.

And the idea of copying over a million words in 3750 word chunks is too depressing (time-consuming) to think about. I need someone to write me a script, to scrape my own stories - I have no idea how to do that.

Back