What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do need something to cinch the waist of the wolf's gown, so a neon orange fanny pack is as good an option as any. With a body like the winged wolf's, you really want to show it off, you know.

I'm all about epic, baby.

I see it, and it makes me shiver with golden glowing heartpride.

I am also thinking white tubesocks for the wolf.

COPY EDITING IS DONE!

I am a little excited about this. :)

Congratulations, K. I am proud to know you.

YAY!

What made me smile today: A couple of friends and I are trying to make a go of a real PSO biz. It's been a long, uphill road, but the calls are starting to come in more regularly. We can't quit our other jobs yet, but it's noticeably picking up.

Then, today, when I go to log in, I've got a call within 10 minutes. That hasn't happened in a long, long time. We are amazing. :D

Excellent. I see good things happening to people here. Momentum. I am gonna rub various body parts on this screen and see if I can get some of y'all's juju.

My sentiments exactly. I hate copy editing. Thanks, BB!:)

What made me smile today: A couple of friends and I are trying to make a go of a real PSO biz. It's been a long, uphill road, but the calls are starting to come in more regularly. We can't quit our other jobs yet, but it's noticeably picking up.

Then, today, when I go to log in, I've got a call within 10 minutes. That hasn't happened in a long, long time. We are amazing. :D

Yes you are! :rose:

Congratulations, K. I am proud to know you.

Gracias, DGE! Lots more steps to go. I am learning the routine. ;)

It's funny, I follow this "author" on Twitter solely for the train-wreck value. I know that sounds kind of mean but, hey, I can't always be nice and positive.

Anyway, the guy has written two books and self published them in less than a year. They are bad. Just out-and-out bad. I don't know his background but I get the sense that someone probably once told him "You should write a book!" and so he did, and the rest is history. Recently, he's been having a public meltdown (Tweetdown?) because his books are not yet bestsellers and making him bundles of cash.

I think we are going to see a lot of this over the next several years. Just because self publishing has become easy(er) thanks to ebooks, Amazon, and social media, does not mean that writing, publishing, marketing, and selling books is by any means easy. Nor is it cheap. Not if you want to produce a quality product. Said copy editor will run me over $1000 - and that's with a significant "friend of a friend" discount. This guy is good; I consider myself lucky.

Blah blah blah.

tl;dr = Writing books is hard work and I am really tired today.

/rant

I see it, and it makes me shiver with golden glowing heartpride.

I am also thinking white tubesocks for the wolf.

Tube socks, boat shoes and a perm.

We really need someone to bring this vision alive.

And YAY for K and BB!

K gimme your JuJuPal info, I'm in grave need of some juju myself, too.

At the old job I had this somewhat outrageous family as clients; spent like there was no tomorrow. Anyway, one day the matriarch shows up saying they're on the verge of bankruptcy, but she had a PLAN!!!

She was going to be a children's author!

The woman hadn't even done any research, but just knew her troubles were over! Someone told her editors and agents are greedy bastards, so they were going to self-publish, and market directly to the big box bookstores. She was writing 10 stories a day! They were gonna be rich!!!

I made a half-hearted pass at mentioning trade publications (Writer's Market, etc), and from that point on avoided her like the plague.

It's funny, I follow this "author" on Twitter solely for the train-wreck value. I know that sounds kind of mean but, hey, I can't always be nice and positive.

Anyway, the guy has written two books and self published them in less than a year. They are bad. Just out-and-out bad. I don't know his background but I get the sense that someone probably once told him "You should write a book!" and so he did, and the rest is history. Recently, he's been having a public meltdown (Tweetdown?) because his books are not yet bestsellers and making him bundles of cash.

I think we are going to see a lot of this over the next several years. Just because self publishing has become easy(er) thanks to ebooks, Amazon, and social media, does not mean that writing, publishing, marketing, and selling books is by any means easy. Nor is it cheap. Not if you want to produce a quality product. Said copy editor will run me over $1000 - and that's with a significant "friend of a friend" discount. This guy is good; I consider myself lucky.

Blah blah blah.

/rant

At the old job I had this somewhat outrageous family as clients; spent like there was no tomorrow. Anyway, one day the matriarch shows up saying they're on the verge of bankruptcy, but she had a PLAN!!!

She was going to be a children's author!

The woman hadn't even done any research, but just knew her troubles were over! Someone told her editors and agents are greedy bastards, so they were going to self-publish, and market directly to the big box bookstores. She was writing 10 stories a day! They were gonna be rich!!!

I made a half-hearted pass at mentioning trade publications (Writer's Market, etc), and from that point on avoided her like the plague.

Groan! Word to aspiring authors (self-published or otherwise): Worst get-rich-quick plan ever.

Groan! Word to aspiring authors (self-published or otherwise): Worst get-rich-quick plan ever.

Didn't we used to have a writers' thread in the Cafe? If not, we probably should. There are enough of us running around here.

(And I use the word "writers" very loosely, since I'm including myself in the group.) :p

Didn't we used to have a writers' thread in the Cafe? If not, we probably should. There are enough of us running around here.

(And I use the word "writers" very loosely, since I'm including myself in the group.) :p

You write, which means you're a writer, BB.

I get where you're coming from, though. I distinctly remember the first time I actually stated "writer" as my occupation. It took almost ten years plus a chunk of published stories and some awards before I felt I'd earned the title. :rolleyes:

My sentiments exactly. I hate copy editing. Thanks, BB!:)

Yes you are! :rose:

Blah blah blah.

/rant

Who (on twitter)??

I think folks might not understand that there is a business side to art. It's one thing I don't like about self-publishing, self-producing, DIY everything -- there are people who held these business-side jobs for a reason, and lots of folks don't have respect for the work that went into publishing/producing/whatever. I mean, same thing when I was a lawyer -- clients say oh, I can do that myself. Sure you can, and most likely you will do a passable to shitty job. I run into the same attitude from artists. They ask - got any marketing advice? And I say, yeah, it's a lot of work - do x, y, and z, plus a and b and c, times a million blah blah blah -- and they look at me all defeated-like? You mean there's no magical potion? No mofos, just work.

Of course, lots of business-side folks did or do a shitty job and charge too much, so if you can do it yourself and do it well, go for it. Just understand that you've got to put in the time.

ETA - I'm kind of cranky - not sure why I'm posting in this happy thread! LOL.

Last edited:
Who (on twitter)??

I think folks might not understand that there is a business side to art. It's one thing I don't like about self-publishing, self-producing, DIY everything -- there are people who held these business-side jobs for a reason, and lots of folks don't have respect for the work that went into publishing/producing/whatever. I mean, same thing when I was a lawyer -- clients say oh, I can do that myself. Sure you can, and most likely you will do a passable to shitty job. I run into the same attitude from artists. They ask - got any marketing advice? And I say, yeah, it's a lot of work - do x, y, and z, plus a and b and c, times a million blah blah blah -- and they look at me all defeated-like? You mean there's no magical potion? No mofos, just work.

Of course, lots of business-side folks did or do a shitty job and charge too much, so if you can do it yourself and do it well, go for it. Just understand that you've got to put in the time.

ETA - I'm kind of cranky - not sure why I'm posting in this happy thread! LOL.

Ha! Yep, it never ceases to amaze me how many folks are shocked that all this "art" stuff actually involves a fuckton of work.

That bolded bit, I love it.

We got our first video review on YouTube! And it was AWESOME!!

I'm squeeing myself. :D

It's L's birthday today, making this 15 birthdays I have spent with him. I love watching his changes over the years. I have always loved him but I am so fond of the man he is now. Same bravado and zany-ness, now with added helpings of humility and gratitude. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back