Does this story opening hold you?

darkride

Really Experienced
Hey all,

Couldn't find a thread where one could post their story opening for any feedback, so thought I'd just create a thread now.

If you started reading this, would you keep going?

-------

After a long day at the office, I walked in the front door hoping to be greeted by the smells of a home cooked meal and the smiling face of my wife. Tossing my man-bag on the half-table in the landing, and slipping my shoes off in favor of my waiting slippers, I could already smell something aromatic coming from the kitchen. I smiled as I walked down the hall and indeed found Kate stirring the contents of the frying pan whilst staring at her phone.

"Hey love," I said to her as I kissed her cheek.

Kate smiled at me without looking up from the pan, or the phone. "Hey you," she replied warmly.

Even though our daughter Stella was now more like a random stranger inhabiting one of our bedrooms than a participant in our family, my wife always cooked enough for her on the odd chance she may happen to come home at dinner time. If not, we had an extra meal for the freezer.

As my wife plated up the food, I grabbed some glasses and poured us both a red. Sitting opposite her at the dining table I couldn't help but thank my lucky stars that this woman had chosen me all those years ago. Neither of us were the fit young twenty-somethings we had been when we met just after college, but she was still the woman of my dreams.

"Oh," Kate casually exclaimed after a mouthful of curry. "I almost forgot - you'll never guess who contacted me on Facebook today."

Trying not to roll my eyes at the mention of Facebook, I shrugged, waiting for the answer.

"Jake," she answered her own question. "Jake, your old roommate, Jake," she repeated his name several times as if there was another Jake that I may be confused about. Hearing his name after all these years made me almost choke.

"W-wha- oh?" I stammered as I swallowed. "Jake? What did he have to say for himself?" I tried my very best to sound nonchalant, hoping my face was not giving away my surprise.

"He's moving here next month." Kate replied with a smile. "He asked if I could recommend a good motel while he looks for a place to buy," my wife added, before landing the knock out blow. "I told him not to be silly - he could stay with us."

At that moment I had no idea what my face was doing. Swallowing the food that was in my mouth was not working.

"That is okay, isn't it, hon?"

I'm certainly curious what happened between the narrator and Jake now. I found my eyes glancing upward hoping to see the category. Gay Male? Loving Wives? Group Sex?

Ah, what a good question... *checks the categories here* Oh dear.

Not keen on venturing into the Loving Wives arena... But there's be some of all of what you suggested going on...

Maybe I'll just have to through in a whopping great big fetish and then I can put it in the Taboo category rather than loving wives... :)

my wife always cooked enough for her on the odd chance she may happen to come home
Just to be a little pedantic:
... on the off chance she happened ...
If not, we had an extra meal for the freezer.
I'm now distracted by an image of a freezer bursting at the seams with extra portions.

I'm not convinced there is a Taboo category, despite there being a category with it in the name.

Maybe I'll just have to through in a whopping great big fetish and then I can put it in the Taboo category rather than loving wives... :)
I suspect you meant Fetish. The "Incest/Taboo" category (as @AlinaX points out) is for taboo pairings not taboo acts. But, seriously, start a thread on Author's Hangout asking how to categorize your story. It's a common query. The categories have their own nuances and woe betide the author who gets it wrong.

Everything after "...still the woman of my dreams" generally is effective in grabbing my attention (although "casually exclaimed" seems a contradictory combination of words).

BUT, for me, the first paragraph is uninteresting enough that I would likely click away at that point and not even get to the intriguing part. If this is a deliberate choice to establish the baseline of a bland, domesticated male, then it is quite effective.

Would an opening like this work with your story goals? (a more dramatic first line to lure readers in?)

Little did I know what I was walking into that evening.

After a grueling day at the office, my one hope was for a relaxing evening with my wife and a home cooked meal. I ditched my bag in the front hall and changed into slippers before heading down the hall to the kitchen, my smile growing with the increasing savory aroma. There indeed I found Kate stirring the contents of a frying pan with one hand whilst staring at her phone in the other.

I also note Kate not looking up at him when she greets him, which seems odd and not mitigated by the "warmly". Is this a hint that all is not well in their marriage?

The conversation about Jake is very well written. I especially like the sentence "At that moment I had no idea what my face was doing."

I'm a big believer in crafting the strongest opening sentence you can. Create conflict. Establish a mystery. Pose a question. Give the reader something right off the bat that makes them want to continue.

Aukey's suggestion is a good one. Another option is to skip ahead to the first bit in the story that creates a question or hook. For me, it would be this sentence:

"You'll never guess who contacted me today through Facebook," my wife said.

That poses a question to which I as a reader want to know the answer. From there, you have options. You might follow it with something to raise the stakes a bit:

I swallowed a bite of curry and glanced across the table at Kate. Something in her tone set my nerves on edge.

Or you might build tension by backtracking and making the reader wait for the answer. Something like:

I sighed. I wasn't in the mood for guessing games. It had been a grueling day at the office, and I was looking forward to a quiet dinner with Kate. Glancing across the table, I still couldn't believe she'd chosen me all those years ago.

These are just quick suggestions and might not fit with your plot or characterizations, but you get the idea. Best of luck with your story!

Last edited:
This sounds like a great start to a story, good job. ;)

My biggest critique has to do with sentence variation and temporal adverbials. What's a temporal adverbial? It's essentially a portion of prose that could follow the question "When?" They're used to indicate when an action is occurring.

For example, you used phrases like "After a long day at the office", "as I walked down the hall", "as I kissed her on the cheek", "as my wife plated our food", "after a mouthful of curry", "as I swallowed", etc, etc. All of these phrases could follow the question "When?" They indicate when something is happening in relation to something else.

Using these phrases isn't a bad thing in of itself. But when reading through your beginning I noticed that there were a lot of them, and most of your sentences had a very similar structure. Usually in a sentence, you had two physical actions happening, and you are connecting them to one another with grammar and syntax.

You might want to think about how you can add more variation to this structure. For example, you could cut up your first paragraph into a more diverse structure. As a draft, I reworked para 1 into this:
After a long day at the office, I walked in the front door, hoping to be greeted by the smells of a home-cooked meal and the smiling face of my wife. I tossed my man-bag on the half-table in the landing, slipped off my shoes in favour of my waiting slippers, and started down the hall. I could already smell something aromatic coming from the kitchen. I smiled. There she was, as I'd expected, stirring the contents of a frying pan while staring at her phone.
This version is not perfect. But it does cut out every temporal adverbial except for the first one - "After a long day at the office." Using less of these phrases or sentence structures that emphasise one action in relation to another can help break up monotony over a longer block of narrative.

Overall it's a good narrative start with a strong hook, this is just a general tip if you want to diversify your structure a little. It can help carry the reader forward.

Hey all,

Couldn't find a thread where one could post their story opening for any feedback, so thought I'd just create a thread now.

It's okay but it could be stronger.

Stories are made of two ingredients, meat and glue. The meat is the stuff readers remember, the bits that get them excited or horny or whatever, probably the reason you wanted to write it in the first place. The glue is what keeps the meat together and structures it to keep it coherent, and sometimes it's good for a bit of pacing in between large chunks of meat; if it was all meat, the story'd fall apart. But readers are there for the meat, so let them taste that flavour early.

This story feels like it has five paragraphs of glue before it gets to the meat:

"I almost forgot - you'll never guess who contacted me on Facebook today."

Consider trimming or restructuring to bring that closer to the opening, perhaps make it the opening sentence. Ask yourself how much of the exposition before that is important, and of that, how much needs to be right there in the opening instead of drip-fed a little later in the narrative. The sooner the readers get to that sentence, the sooner they're asking "what happens next?"

"Important" doesn't always mean "advancing the plot", mind. Developing character is important in its own right; it probably is going to matter who Kate and $NARRATOR are and how they relate to one another. But that's something that needs a bit of space to establish organically, and opening with it risks delaying the "why should I be interested?" too long.

Hey all,

-------

After a long day at the office, I walked in the front door hoping to be greeted by the smells of a home cooked meal and the smiling face of my wife. Tossing my man-bag on the half-table in the landing, and slipping my shoes off in favor of my waiting slippers, I could already smell something aromatic coming from the kitchen. I smiled as I walked down the hall and indeed found Kate stirring the contents of the frying pan whilst staring at her phone.

Kate smiled at me without looking up from the pan, or the phone. "Hey you," she replied warmly.

Even though our daughter Stella was now more like a random stranger inhabiting one of our bedrooms than a participant in our family, my wife always cooked enough for her on the odd chance she may happen to come home at dinner time. If not, we had an extra meal for the freezer.

As my wife plated up the food, I grabbed some glasses and poured us both a red. Sitting opposite her at the dining table I couldn't help but thank my lucky stars that this woman had chosen me all those years ago. Neither of us were the fit young twenty-somethings we had been when we met just after college, but she was still the woman of my dreams.

"Oh," Kate casually exclaimed after a mouthful of curry. "I almost forgot - you'll never guess who contacted me on Facebook today."

Trying not to roll my eyes at the mention of Facebook, I shrugged, waiting for the answer.

"Jake," she answered her own question. "Jake, your old roommate, Jake," she repeated his name several times as if there was another Jake that I may be confused about. Hearing his name after all these years made me almost choke.

"W-wha- oh?" I stammered as I swallowed. "Jake? What did he have to say for himself?" I tried my very best to sound nonchalant, hoping my face was not giving away my surprise.

"He's moving here next month." Kate replied with a smile. "He asked if I could recommend a good motel while he looks for a place to buy," my wife added, before landing the knock out blow. "I told him not to be silly - he could stay with us."

At that moment I had no idea what my face was doing. Swallowing the food that was in my mouth was not working.

It certainly does. It can go in any direction and now that you've wet our beeks please see where this may lead you. And us.

Thanks to everyone for the advice above!

The opening is of course the most important part of any story, because it's where you win or lose your readers. I know exactly where this story is going, and I know this moment with husband and wife, 20-odd years after Jake was in their lives, is the place to bring the reader in... Just wanted to make sure it was strong enough, and thanks to all for the suggestions on improving it.

Hey all,

-------

like it

I've been thinking about the feedback above... and realise the "issue" that I have - I'm very much writing a television story/film every time I write anything. The above excerpt, as the opening of a tv/film, makes more sense. But I'm not writing a tv show, and really should learn just how important the opening paragraph of any written story is! :)

Back