What is the weirdest thing you own?

PantsAndPencils

“Virgin”
I like asking this question of people I meet. There can be some really interesting answers.

Personally, I have this bizarre paper mâché hat/helmet made by an old classmate of mine. It's shaped like a whale, such that the tail sticks out behind the wearer and their face is visible through the whale's open maw. I have absolutely no practical use for it, but he was going to toss it and I just couldn't let this beauty go to waste.

I have a gray tabby cat named Squirt, short for Squirtus Lazius Maximus. He’s Roman. I got him from the pound when he was small enough to fit in my hand. Now, thanks to his Maine Coon ancestry, he is quite a bit larger. Residents of my house require his approval to remain within.
Oh, that's adorable!!! Have you posted squirt pictures anywhere we could see?

Tools for tapping pine trees for their sap to be used in distilling turpentine.
:0 that's crazy!! I've never heard about people tapping for turpentine. Could you also make syrup if you wanted, or are you missing supplies for that/it's not the right type of sap?

:0 that's crazy!! I've never heard about people tapping for turpentine. Could you also make syrup if you wanted, or are you missing supplies for that/it's not the right type of sap?
Pine sap won't work for syrup. it was used for "naval stores," a huge industry in the days of wooden ships. My grandfather owned a turpentine still that produced naval stores for the U.S. and Japan. I have his tools.

Pine sap won't work for syrup. it was used for "naval stores," a huge industry in the days of wooden ships. My grandfather owned a turpentine still that produced naval stores for the U.S. and Japan. I have his tools.
Ahh, okay. So you just have these tools on display--or just have them packed up somewhere? I wonder if there's a local museum that'd be interested in seeing what you have.

Ahh, okay. So you just have these tools on display--or just have them packed up somewhere? I wonder if there's a local museum that'd be interested in seeing what you have.
They are just on display in my office. Some day I will see if anybody wants them. My kids have no interest in them.

They are just on display in my office. Some day I will see if anybody wants them. My kids have no interest in them.
Nice that they still get to see the light of day haha. Yeah they sound like a neat piece of history so I'd hope that they continue to be, like, recognised(?) by someone.

Godzilla Christmas tree topper

I collect old junk and antiques. Lotsa milk, beer and soda bottles. Signs. Old tools and gears.

I guess I also have a whiskey bottle that was distilled before the volstead act (prohibition). It had a prescription blank filled out on the back, so I guess it was the medical marijuana of the time.

Godzilla Christmas tree topper

I collect old junk and antiques. Lotsa milk, beer and soda bottles. Signs. Old tools and gears.

I guess I also have a whiskey bottle that was distilled before the volstead act (prohibition). It had a prescription blank filled out on the back, so I guess it was the medical marijuana of the time.
That’s so cool! Collections are so fun. Where’d you get the whisky?

I got lucky. A kid who does flea markets and aniques on eBay leases space on my farm and used it for his stuff.

He gives me a lot of first looks at cool old stuff. He has a good eye and thought I’d like it. He was right!!
Niceee. Any other fascinating things you remember him having?

I oughta figure out how to make connections with folks in the antiques/vintage business. I like collecting Garfield stuff but it’s unfortunately in relatively high demand so it can be hard to get to.

I can check if he has any Garfield stuff for ya.

He had some really old original snapon tools.
Tons of 45 rpm records. I’ve bought a lot of old school soul, rocksteady and reggae records from him.
Lots of signs. He has a great 1950s era fallout shelter sign.
We have also found a lot of cool stuff on the farm: a few old sickle bar mowers, old farm tools and on old steel bathtub.

And tons of other random shit.

I can check if he has any Garfield stuff for ya.

He had some really old original snapon tools.
Tons of 45 rpm records. I’ve bought a lot of old school soul, rocksteady and reggae records from him.
Lots of signs. He has a great 1950s era fallout shelter sign.
We have also found a lot of cool stuff on the farm: a few old sickle bar mowers, old farm tools and on old steel bathtub.

And tons of other random shit.
Aw, I appreciate the thought but money’s p tight rn so I don’t wanna be spending more on nonessentials rn. Thanks for the offer tho!!

Ooh gotta love music stuff. It’s especially exciting when you dig up things that are not available on contemporary streaming services.

A small house made from Dots candy and toothpicks. Many years ago we were visiting my husband's grandma and for some reason we started building things with toothpicks and candy with her. She decided to save them and give them to us as gag gifts a few Christmas ago.

Back