What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are the folks who claim they can run the health care industry.

3.3 billion out of 108 billion in payments means 97% effective.

While there is room for improvement, I daresay you'd jump for joy if your least-retarded child came home from school with a grade of 97%.

obama_sequester_faa_fake_pain.jpg

Obamacare Progress

By Joe KleinApril 29, 201346 Comments

A few weeks ago, I gave the President a tough time about the slow and messy implementation of his health care plan. But there’s been some progress in recent weeks—and I’m happy to pass it on.

One of the things that concerned me was the 21-page application form that was required for people to join a health care exchange—which, if you’re unfamiliar with the jargon, is an on-line health insurance superstore (think Orbitz or Hotels.com) where individuals will have the collective market power of large corporations like, say, Time Warner.

Tomorrow morning the Administration will announce a spiffy, new 3-page application for individuals (which we’ll attach here when it becomes public).* There will be an 7-page application for families (11 including the appendix), but even that one will be far better designed than the initial effort. “We did a lot of work testing words, to come up with simpler language,” an Administration official told me, “and we did time tests. Our average was 7 minutes to fill out the paper version and even less if you do it online.”

This compares favorably with applications for private insurance plans, which average about 17 pages (and can go as high as 35). “We’re hoping to move as many people as possible to the email application form,” a second Administration official told me. “We received a lot of [negative] feedback from insurers and individuals like you when we published the first application forms and we’re trying to be responsive to those concerns.”

My primary concerns remain the implementation of the online super-stores. I remain concerned that employees of small businesses won’t have a choice of health plans in the first year. I’m also concerned that the state exchanges run by the federal government—over the opposition of Republican governors—won’t offer as many choices as a true market should.

There are more than a few other concerns and ways the system might be improved that I’ve written about in the past. The good news about the streamlined application, though, is that it shows the Administration is alert and flexible and responsive–and, if we’re lucky, may turn out to be innovative in enacting a system that will bring health care to those who haven’t had it before, and lower costs to the self-employed masses who’ve had to go out and buy insurance on their own.

*The application form will be even simpler for higher income individuals and families who aren’t eligible for a health insurance subsidy but want to shop at the exchange in search of less-expensive coverage.

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2013/04/29/obamacare-progress/#ixzz2RtticUbt

Year over year house prices up 22% in Johnny's hood. According to Zillow, the Savage Manse is worth just 8% less than it's peak value.

Oh NOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 3.8% tax on investment income for couples earning more than $250,000.00 per year!

Impeach Teh Negar!

Hey fat fuck it's more then that
Guess it's a good thing you had that hip replacement already:D

Oh NOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 3.8% tax on investment income for couples earning more than $250,000.00 per year!

Impeach Teh Negar!

Even those couples don't see an increase on the first quarter million they make, it's only on income in excess of $250k. I just had this conversation with out head of neurology - he was under the impression that all of his $270k income was going to get his with a tax increase, turns out it's only 20k of it.

Oh and he had his student loans paid for at the taxpayers' expense. But the gubbermint is takin' all his money!

Even those couples don't see an increase on the first quarter million they make, it's only on income in excess of $250k. I just had this conversation with out head of neurology - he was under the impression that all of his $270k income was going to get his with a tax increase, turns out it's only 20k of it.

Oh and he had his student loans paid for at the taxpayers' expense. But the gubbermint is takin' all his money!

You mean it's a progressive tax just like the rest of the income tax code?

AMAZING!

Well, in all fairness, neurologists aren't the brightest crayons in the box. ;)

North Dakota has twice as much oil as the U.S. government thought
April 30, 2013, 4:59 PM
By Claudia Assis

The Bakken shale formation and the Three Forks shale formation, mostly in North Dakota and parts of South Dakota and Montana, have twice as much oil as the U.S. thought they did five years ago.

These formations are thought to contain 7.4 billion barrels of undiscovered, technically recoverable oil, the USGS said Tuesday.

The increase is due to new estimates for Three Forks, thought to hold reserves around 3.73 billion barrels. The Bakken has an estimated resource of 3.65 billion barrels, around the same USGS estimates back in 2008.

Five years ago, there was just not enough data to estimate Three Forks reserves, the USGS said.

Since then, more than 4,000 wells have been drilled in the Williston Basin, providing more data on Three Forks, the USGS said. The new drilling “resulted in a new understanding of the reservoir and its resource potential,” it said.

The Bakken and Three Forks “contain even more energy resource potential than previously understood, which is important information as we continue to reduce our nation’s dependence on foreign sources of oil,” Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell said in a media release.

The formations are also estimated to hold 6.7 trillion cubic feet of undiscovered, technically recoverable natural gas and half a billion barrels of undiscovered, technically recoverable natural-gas liquids.

The new estimates increased natural gas reserve estimates three-fold, and natural-gas liquids reserve estimates also three times since the 2008 assessment, mostly due to the inclusion of the Three Forks formation.

In December, North Dakota was the No. 3 largest oil producing state after Texas and California, up from a fourth place in 2011, the Energy Information Administration said.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/energy...-oil-as-the-u-s-government-thought/?link=sfmw

Wow, they revised their estimates as new data became available!

The very antithesis of conservatism!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back