UK Bans the American Bully XL

Back when Dobermans were the bad-ass dogs, I concluded it was mostly the people. When Rottweilers succeeded them, my opinion didn't really change. About 10 years ago going to the dog park, pit bulls were the problem, but it was obvious that their owners disregarded the rules. Their dogs were not fixed. They did not have rabies tags. They were not licensed. They did not have the tags for the park fees. They did not supervise their dogs, either. My guess is that they aren't paying the premium for the proper insurance, either.

All of that said, and seeing all the pit bull cases on Judge Judy, that bite and hold instinct on a pit bull seems to do more damage than average dogs when they do bite.
My step-daughter moved in with us for a bit and brought a pit. She never trained him one bit, and by this point he was 4 or so. He lasted a short time in my house because while he wasn't aggressive, he easily destroyed things.

After a spate of attacks here. Is it the dogs though or the fucking imbeciles that own them?

I think it's the latter. Opinions?

Are your dog laws strict in the USA?
It's a matter of local ordinances. Some places have restrictions, some don't. Some have a one-bite rule, some don't. Some insurance companies won't insure a home with a certain breed in residence.

I've had dogs all my life... but I'd not have a dog that was stronger than I. No matter how well trained, they are still dogs.

đź’–

First time I'm even hearing of this type of mongrel breeding.

I'm glad I don't have dogs anymore.

It is completely un-necessary to ban particular breeds. It should however, be a requirement for every dog to have a separate annual third party insurance policy for $50 million which states its breeding and requires it to be chipped... Compulsory insurance would cost many thousands for some breeds.They would soon disappear.

It is completely un-necessary to ban particular breeds. It should however, be a requirement for every dog to have a separate annual third party insurance policy for $50 million which states its breeding and requires it to be chipped... Compulsory insurance would cost many thousands for some breeds.They would soon disappear.
I get where you're coming from but who gets to police that insurance and what happens when the 'penniless' owner says "I love my dog, it's all I have, don't take it away".

Better to reduce the risk in the first place. Unborn dogs bite no one and don't shit in the grass.

My dog just growled, cocked his leg and pissed on this thread.. I thought maybe he would dry hump a few of you but I guess he figured most werent worth breeding đź™…

There was supposed to be a protest dog walk in Birmingham against the ban but the organizers banned bully dogs for safety reasons.

My city had a ban on pit bulls. It was panic folder by the ancient council. They are also, into banning any books they deem "bad". The ban lasted a few years, then there was a push to reinstate the animals. The people won, surprisingly, and they are now allowed. They had no reason for the ban in the first place, there haven't been any documented attacks in the area. There have been many attacks by the little dogs the fuckers own. I have met several pits, they were sweethearts, but they were also raised by good people..

If I'm behind any ban, it's dogs in the fucking grocery stores! I get it, if you're blind or need the dog to help you do things, but tiny dogs, yipping and slobbering all over the apples is insane. Not that the apples weren't loaded with pesticides and stay fresh chemicals already.
A-fukin'-men jj! Pretty much any retail store really. Rarely to I see any evidence the owner possess any means to clean up the pee and poop. I'm waiting for the day some dog bites a kid who accidentally frightens the dog, and the outrage and dog bans that follow. Hope it never happens.

An interesting thread not least as I train working Gundogs in the U.K. The truth is it is both the owner and the breed that are problems. The majority of people have no idea how to train a dog of any breed and have no comprehension that training starts when you collect them as a pup and ends on the day you say goodbye.

As to the dogs they are bred with innate traits largely around aggression and guarding. You can no more take that out as it’s in the genes than you can the underlying traits of any breed. Given that owners cannot be licensed or controlled banning the breed is second best and easiest option. It is a bit like taking the gun out of an idiots hand because you don’t know if they have emptied it or left the safety catch off.

Banning the breed is not a perfect solution but as good as it is possible to get in the circumstances.

Last edited:
Back