True confession of a first time writer

Mattisxe_1

Virgin
I am making my first attempt at writing my own story, and struggling with character development, pacing and consistency.

I will admit however that I typically never read lengthy or multi-part stories, opting instead for down and dirty quickies ;)

The challenge I am having is not knowing whether I am getting too down in the weeds trying to set up my scenario and overly descriptive.

Is anyone going to read this??? Not sure I would lol

That said, perhaps this is a watershed for me and perhaps I will dive deeper into the true art of storytelling and will now appreciate moreso how good writers build tension, character is and their plots. And most importantly how to pace a good story.

Interested to hear thoughts and advice from others.

Thanks in advance!!

The first thing you need to decide is what's the focus of your story: plot, character or situation? Then focus on that element.

If you're writing a "stroker" (i.e. a short vignette describing a hot sex scene, perhaps two), you need barely any plot or even character. What you need is to set up the situation to seem hot but plausible. How did your characters get there? What are their thoughts on the situation, i.e. are they eager to seize the opportunity or do they have their doubts? Character is less important, but you have to make them at least relatable. A few words of background are often enough, and can often be tied to the same questions as about: how they found themselves in the situation, and how they feel about it. Plot can be virtually non-existent, seeing as you're describing just one scene. Again, the same questions. Perhaps end with something to hint at further encounters, to close the scene and leave the reader imagining more.

If you're writing something longer, whether the focus is on plot or character, you'll clearly need more. Just be sure not to infodump the background. Start telling your story, and drop in the background information like breadcrumbs. Snippets here and there to give the reader the sense of a rounded character and longer history. This makes the reader curious about the backstory, while staying interested in what's happening in the foreground.

Because this is Literotica, it can also be useful to hint at sexual content early on. You don't need to include a complete sex scene on your first page, but make it clear that the sex will make an appearance sooner or later. You can tie this in with either your character - they're highly sexed and have fantasies that intrude on their thoughts, for instance, or they're repressed and other people's behaviour shocks them - or with your plot, by hinting at locations or events with a sexual element.

The most important thing to bear in mind, though, is to tell your story. Describe the events that are happening here and now, that you think will hook the reader. Backstory and character are the greenscreen, as it were, and the story is the action happening in the foreground.

Good luck!

Thanks kindly for the advice. Starting on this journey and will see where it leads me :)

It's also leading me to some other very interesting, and sometimes great writing!!

I am making my first attempt at writing my own story, and struggling with character development, pacing and consistency.

I will admit however that I typically never read lengthy or multi-part stories, opting instead for down and dirty quickies ;)
Perhaps this thread will give you a different take on your own writing: Making a Case for the Term "Simple Erotica"
The challenge I am having is not knowing whether I am getting too down in the weeds trying to set up my scenario and overly descriptive.
If you're writing because you've got something inside you that you want to give expression to, check out this thread: Authenticity. Is It a Thing for You? In other words, let go and write it and then ask a couple of people to read over it for technical stuff like repeated words and confusing statements. On the other hand, if you're writing because you enjoy the craft, skim over Author's Hangout. There's lots of talk about pacing and character and stuff. Sorry, no links.

The important thing is to decide what your intentions are.

That said, perhaps this is a watershed for me and perhaps I will dive deeper into the true art of storytelling and will now appreciate moreso how good writers build tension, character is and their plots. And most importantly how to pace a good story.

Interested to hear thoughts and advice from others.

Thanks in advance!!

I tell new authors this: Tell the story like you would be relating the story over a beer in a bar. Of course if it is a stroker you might have to whisper.
Better stories have some point to them. Ask yourself if you were sitting there listening, would you enjoy the story or not.
Also be aware that some categories are far more lenient than others.

I am in exactly the same situation as you! I have the same concerns and it seems, the same history. I perved around here for a long time before I wrote anything and now I start to appreciate things in a much different way. I think for me, it is important how characters react to their circumstances. I am often turned off by stories where someone goes from being a shy prude to taking it in all holes and absolutely loving it in basically three paragraphs. Nothing against a 'stroker', but it's so much hotter when the characters are believable. That's the biggest challenge for me. That and not spending so much time giving your characters a personality, that no one stays interested long enough to read about them getting it on. Not much help I guess, just saying I am in the same boat. I did get an editor though, which is very helpful. It took a LOT of tries to find someone willing to help me but its worth it if you can connect with someone.

Well, I believe you need to have a story idea that you really buy.
If you do, and if the project is not ambitious beyond your ability, it should flow easily.
If your story idea is weak -- if it does not convince you -- then you'll have trouble developing it.
This is especially true for shorter prose. But J K Rowling developed a seven books series from just one scene that popped up in her mind during a journey by train ("while delayed on a train").

Just write the story. Add what you want. Finish the first draft and then sit back and enjoy the accomplishment.

The next step is what I call the fluffing and editing phase. When you read it afterward the areas that need a little fluffing and the areas that need a little editing WILL pop out to you. Because now you're seeing the scene instead of trying to create it. It's harder as a writer to remove content than to add it, but ask yourself if each line is adding to the mental picture or not.

You'll get it.

This, right here, should be enough to concern you. When I have responses like that to my own work, I promptly abandon it and leave it bleeding by the roadside without so much as a backward glance.

Life's too short to make yourself write unreadable stuff. You're your first and best fan. If you don't like it, that should tell you something.

Just write something you'd read. That's all.

Back