Today's Question: How do you categorize your work???

Theylo_Bleu

New Author of Eros
Here's a thread for: When you write a story that kinda sorta (or maybe a whole lot) exists between categories. How do you pick which one to put it in.

Ex: You've got a beautiful coupling, you've got romance, you've got eroticism, oh, and they're trans and two different racial backgrounds...

Romance? Erotic Couplings? TS/CD? Interracial?

Thoughts?

My general principle is that I will publish a story in the category where I think it will get the most reads, so long as the Site is likely, based on its criteria, to publish it there.

My caveat to that is that I may decline to publish a story in Loving Wives, even though it may otherwise fit there, if I believe that the reception will be so hostile that I'm better off publishing it elsewhere.

Here's a thread for: When you write a story that kinda sorta (or maybe a whole lot) exists between categories. How do you pick which one to put it in.

Ex: You've got a beautiful coupling, you've got romance, you've got eroticism, oh, and they're trans and two different racial backgrounds...

Thoughts?
I'd probably put it in the one that I think will get the most viewership.

So, like incest vs sci-fi, I'm going incest.

Lesbian vs Straight, I'm going Lesbian...

But, that's just me.

I've sometimes wondered how one distinguishes between NC/R and BDSM, but I just stick to BDSM, unless it's clearly something else like EC.

BDSM runs on consent. It's about the polar opposite of NC/R.
I found it all very tricky when dealing with a Total Power Exchange story. I got scolded for it being NC even though they'd signed a contract. It's just a confusing situation sometimes.

Oh - to add to this thread, I was wondering what folks thought were the most popular categories?

My general principle is that I will publish a story in the category where I think it will get the most reads, so long as the Site is likely, based on its criteria, to publish it there.

My caveat to that is that I may decline to publish a story in Loving Wives, even though it may otherwise fit there, if I believe that the reception will be so hostile that I'm better off publishing it elsewhere.
I'm new enough to the site that I haven't yet found those nuances in practice. Here's hoping I don't find this out the hard way

BDSM runs on consent. It's about the polar opposite of NC/R.
Well, not in my world. I was introducted to the term maybe sixty years ago, when it just meant literally bondage, discipline/domination, sadism, and masochism. After many decades of reading no erotica, I re-entered that literary world and spent many months trying to make sense of the "life-style" connotations of BDSM. A number of critics of my stories told me I had it "wrong." Wrong? How could my fantasies be "wrong?"

I finally got fairly clear on the modern understanding of BDSM and have decided to use the less loaded S&M whenever I need to talk about it.

You have clued me in to a possible problem I may have in putting almost all my stories in the BDSM category, but NC/R doesn't really work for me. I'll have to investigate further. I suppose it takes just as long to switch categories as it does to make any other kind of edit... Sigh...

Alert to @RainyDayPen

Thoughts?
It's situational on the basis of the content of that particular story.

Incest and LW, I'll never get good views, haha. Just not my thing personally but not shame to all who enjoy. Does romance do well?

I almost entirely stick to Exhibitionist/Voyeur. Some of my stuff could probably fit into other categories - they don't necessarily include a lot of super public sex or people watching (though some of them do), but I think I stick with that category because of the spirit of the thing. I enjoy playing around with the feeling and thrill of being exposed. So I think for me it's less about checking the boxes of plot requirements than it is about the element of the story that turns me on. And that's the EV stuff.

I tend to stick to E&V as well. My stories do tend to feature public-ish nudity and sex, but don't usually focus on it. Still, the category has seemed to have turned into a grab-bag of sorts. So long as there's some tiny scene of sex with somebody else in the room, or a hint of even potential public exposure, almost anything seems to do well there.

My stories usually wander across category lines with impunity. I like to focus on what is going through people's heads rather than just what's going on lower, and people aren't as one-dimensional as the categories here. And I tend towards longer stories with more than one scene. I have been thinking about branching out though, but since most of my reading has been in E&V, I'm not as familiar with the expectations in other categories.

No Talent Hack's recent story about LW got me thinking that the draft I just finished might actually be a fit there.

Well, not in my world. I was introducted to the term maybe sixty years ago, when it just meant literally bondage, discipline/domination, sadism, and masochism. After many decades of reading no erotica, I re-entered that literary world and spent many months trying to make sense of the "life-style" connotations of BDSM. A number of critics of my stories told me I had it "wrong." Wrong? How could my fantasies be "wrong?"

I finally got fairly clear on the modern understanding of BDSM and have decided to use the less loaded S&M whenever I need to talk about it.

You have clued me in to a possible problem I may have in putting almost all my stories in the BDSM category, but NC/R doesn't really work for me. I'll have to investigate further. I suppose it takes just as long to switch categories as it does to make any other kind of edit... Sigh...

Alert to @RainyDayPen
oh switching categories is such a chore. I gave up and just let my story live apart from the rest of it's brethren for that reason.

Back