The Official Author's Hangout 2014 Halloween Contest Support Thread

I'm anxious to get mine finished so I can read some of the others. Normally, I don't read until I'm done, preferring to use my time to write. That...and after reading two submissions... I always end up thinking my writing doesn't compare to the quality of what other authors are doing. I commented on my two reads... But no more until I'm done.

Good luck to all that have entered.

Lots of folks voting on this one. 329 votes on 7837 views. One vote for ever 24 views. That almost 4 times the normal ratio.

I had sort of an idea, but no clue if I'd have time to write it. A small experience in college which has adaptive possibilities.

OTOH, I just recovered my dining room chairs tonight, so that's something. Probably no plot bunny there though.

Lots of folks voting on this one. 329 votes on 7837 views. One vote for ever 24 views. That almost 4 times the normal ratio.

Wow, I'm at about 4400 views and I just cracked 50 votes. Your story must really be motivations people to click on those little stars.

I should finish mine tomorrow its umm....around 76k. Thing's a novella.

Was debating the category and after getting opinions from a couple of fellow contestants here, I think I'll brave LW the "moral" of the story should....get an interesting reaction.

Score will tank, but it'll get a lot of feedback, some might even be decent.:rolleyes:

I should finish mine tomorrow its umm....around 76k. Thing's a novella.

Was debating the category and after getting opinions from a couple of fellow contestants here, I think I'll brave LW the "moral" of the story should....get an interesting reaction.

Score will tank, but it'll get a lot of feedback, some might even be decent.:rolleyes:

Jesus, LC, I'm looking forward to it. Just have to clear out my week! ;)

76K is a novel (even in mainstream terms), not a novella.

Interesting to know. Is that a newer industry take on what constitutes a novel? Something the "e-generation" has had an effect on?

I know HPL's At The Mountains of Madness is 110 or so pages and was referred to as a novella. The paperback edition has a couple of other stories in it to fill it out.

I always kind of had the 100k or so mark in my mind as a "novel"

Well I guess I've written more novels than I thought.

Interesting to know. Is that a newer industry take on what constitutes a novel? Something the "e-generation" has had an effect on?

I know HPL's At The Mountains of Madness is 110 or so pages and was referred to as a novella. The paperback edition has a couple of other stories in it to fill it out.

Apparently 'novel' now means 'book'. Are many references in the last couple decades to Shakespeare's novel Hamlet, Barbara Tuchman's novel The Guns of August, and Frank Miller's novel The Dark Knight Returns. Blame Truman Capote (In Cold Blood as a nonfiction novel) and Eclipse Comics (for nonfiction graphic novels). 'Novelist' now means 'author'. Thus does language evolve.

I won't bring up the wittol-vs-cuck fight here. But note that 'novel' just means new; literary novels were a new form of writing, dating from around the time that New Music meant polyphany instead of plainchant. What Anglophones call a novel (as fiction) is referred to in Latinate languages as a romans whether or not it be 'romantic'. So we have a tradition of morphing words to mean whatever is convenient.

Apparently 'novel' now means 'book'. Are many references in the last couple decades to Shakespeare's novel Hamlet, Barbara Tuchman's novel The Guns of August, and Frank Miller's novel The Dark Knight Returns. Blame Truman Capote (In Cold Blood as a nonfiction novel) and Eclipse Comics (for nonfiction graphic novels). 'Novelist' now means 'author'. Thus does language evolve.

I won't bring up the wittol-vs-cuck fight here. But note that 'novel' just means new; literary novels were a new form of writing, dating from around the time that New Music meant polyphany instead of plainchant. What Anglophones call a novel (as fiction) is referred to in Latinate languages as a romans whether or not it be 'romantic'. So we have a tradition of morphing words to mean whatever is convenient.

On the note of Miller....Comics introduced the term "Graphic" Novel which were pretty much book length or close to book length comics

I think "The Death of Captain Marvel" by Jim Starlin was the first to be dubbed that.

Watchmen and V for Vendetta-both by Alan Moore are the two most famous with Watchmen showing up on some lists of "best novels ever"

I think for me I judge novel by length. When I'm holding a 450 page book in my hand that's a novel. Something along the line of 140 pages was a novella, that was just my perception though.

FWIW, when NaNo does their Novel month in November, the goal is 50k. I'm not sure what (or if) the "official" length for a novel is according to the industry, but there you go. Also, page length on a work can be deceptive. 110 pages of small print may only be 110 pages but may be more words than you think.

FWIW, when NaNo does their Novel month in November, the goal is 50k. I'm not sure what (or if) the "official" length for a novel is according to the industry, but there you go. Also, page length on a work can be deceptive. 110 pages of small print may only be 110 pages but may be more words than you think.

If you've read a lot of HPL....I would hazard to say that 110 pages contains....oh, forget it. The guy makes my meandering long stories look like cliff notes.:eek:

Science Fiction Writers of America goes by the following breakdown:

< 7,500 words is a short story
7,500 to 17,500 is a novelette
17,500 to 40,000 is a novella
> 40,000 words is a novel

Science Fiction Writers of America goes by the following breakdown:

< 7,500 words is a short story
7,500 to 17,500 is a novelette
17,500 to 40,000 is a novella
> 40,000 words is a novel

40,000-100,000 is a Stephen King novel

100,000 - 200,000 is a George R Martin, will you finish the damn story already, novel.

200,000 + is a Robert Jordan, why did I ever start reading this shit, novel.

Lol.

MST

For as long as I can remember in the publishing industry (which is long before the eras of either POD or e-books), anything over 60,000 words would be advertised as a novel.

The SWFA breakdown JagFarlane gives seems pretty much accepted for e-books.

Have had to report the listing of my "today" contest entry. In some attempts to bring it up, there's no content. When there is, there's no author's name. And it doesn't list on the public-viewable author's submissions page.

Have had to report the listing of my "today" contest entry. In some attempts to bring it up, there's no content. When there is, there's no author's name. And it doesn't list on the public-viewable author's submissions page.

Yeah, it is fucked the fuck up. I just clicked on the link from the Halloween Contest page and it goes to a story page with no author or text.

Have any of y'all read "Soul Service, Inc." yet? It's really great.

Back