The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once started a campaign of putting the night's leftovers into a soup kettle on the simmer plate on the back of the stove. That way we could start each meal with a bowl of soup and repeat the process when dinner was over. It was wonderful! For two weeks we had the greatest soups. Then HM announced that she didn't like having the entire cave smell of cooking soup all the time. It made it hard to sleep, quoth she. So, muttering all the while, I stopped making leftover soup. But it was sure good while it lasted.

I once started a campaign of putting the night's leftovers into a soup kettle on the simmer plate on the back of the stove. That way we could start each meal with a bowl of soup and repeat the process when dinner was over. It was wonderful! For two weeks we had the greatest soups. Then HM announced that she didn't like having the entire cave smell of cooking soup all the time. It made it hard to sleep, quoth she. So, muttering all the while, I stopped making leftover soup. But it was sure good while it lasted.

This reminds me of burgoo weekend.

My Nonna used to do that, but with pasta sauce. I swear, that pot never left the stove. She'd just add more tomatoes. Same went for the pasta. Never any left overs. She just threw the old stuff in with the new. ('Course, her pasta was always so al dente it would crack your teeth! :D )

Last edited:
I remember Gramma cooking pasta. She always took out a few strands for me to check. Of course at that age I had no idea what I was checking for so I just gobbled it down and waited for her to drain it out and pour the sauce all over it. The meatballs or sausage or pork chops in the sauce went onto a different plate as the secundi followed up by the salad--where it belongs!

I remember Gramma cooking pasta. She always took out a few strands for me to check. Of course at that age I had no idea what I was checking for so I just gobbled it down and waited for her to drain it out and pour the sauce all over it. The meatballs or sausage or pork chops in the sauce went onto a different plate as the secundi followed up by the salad--where it belongs!

Hell, my grandma made meat and taters and lots of it. We had it both ways--fried and roasted. She wasn't big on seasonings that weren't salt, but the food was so fresh, it didn't need a lot of dressing up.

Last edited:

Esattamente! On top of that, at every meal, Nonna served Dago Red to everyone over the age of four. Said it kept us healthy. :D

Hell, my grandma made meat and taters and lots of it. We had it both ways--fried and roasted. She wasn't big on seasonings that weren't salt, but the food was so fresh, it didn't need a lot of dressing up.

Heh. We're STILL doing that. It's pretty normal to hear my kids yell, "Poppi, go kill dinner, please!". ;)

(doesn't get much fresher that "still cluckin".)

But they don't taste the same as ones that get to eat fresh greens, grass, bugs and the occasional gopher. It's like with grass-fed beef. It tastes real. Amy, I wish I could have raised my kids like that. Hell, I wish I'd been raised like that. Cities are no place for kiddies.

But they don't taste the same as ones that get to eat fresh greens, grass, bugs and the occasional gopher. It's like with grass-fed beef. It tastes real. Amy, I wish I could have raised my kids like that. Hell, I wish I'd been raised like that. Cities are no place for kiddies.

But I do only buy organic ...w/no drugs or other thingys infused....:rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth. I got a few rabbits in my dad's freezer I need to get. Forgot them the last time I was there.

But I do only buy organic ...w/no drugs or other thingys infused....:rolleyes:

Or so the grocers tell you.

Ain't that the truth. I got a few rabbits in my dad's freezer I need to get. Forgot them the last time I was there.

Or so the grocers tell you.

Very true ...but what else can you do???? Other than finding a farmer ...but then you would have to trust him too....sigh...it all comes down to trust:(

Very true ...but what else can you do???? Other than finding a farmer ...but then you would have to trust him too....sigh...it all comes down to trust:(

all you need is a little patch of ground, then you can grow your own.

all you need is a little patch of ground, then you can grow your own.

I thought we were talking about chickens, not ganja!

BTW, actually the only time I have to kill one now days is when I forget to take one out of the freezer on time. We usually take a dozen or so at a time to the local butcher and he kills, plucks, cleans and quick freezes all of them for a share of the birds. Works out pretty slick.

A proper gentlewoman farmer's approach! Personally, while I have no problem popping a cap on some edible critter out in the woods, doing in some living thing I've developed a personal attachment to would be a lot harder. Keep it impersonal. That's the way.

Self-serving advertisement:

Chapter 3, ("Jonquil's Diary") of The Copulist Capers is up. Votes and comments would be greatly appreciated.

A proper gentlewoman farmer's approach! Personally, while I have no problem popping a cap on some edible critter out in the woods, doing in some living thing I've developed a personal attachment to would be a lot harder. Keep it impersonal. That's the way.

I thought bears used claws and teeth.

Hey, I'm a suburban bear. Now I have been known to go all retro on the salmon stream but that's an exception.

wsWILD017_1024x768.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back