The Isolated Political Blurt Thread

tumblr_nwl7slUWL41qzx3jto1_540.jpg

tumblr_nwl7slUWL41qzx3jto2_500.jpg

Gotta love Trader Joes.....a ful bag of groceries, for $20

Open Rant to Educators

Every year we see the headlines. A teacher, principal, or other school employee makes racist remarks to or about students, or does something reflecting their disdain for, or mocking of, black, brown, and/or poor students. I am never shocked by these occurrences, but I am sick and tired of them. Equally so, I am tired of an educational system that pooh-poohs these behaviors. As someone who holds a professional license to teach, I am incensed that any peer of mine harms the public with such behavior, the latest of whom are Lee Ann and Jeptha Wall.

For those who may be unaware, Ms. Wall is a middle school principal, and she and her high school coach husband thought it would be (hilarious?) appropriate to “dress up” as “People of WalMart,” their own description of their “costume” choice. People of WalMart is a website dedicated to hosting pictures people take of unsuspecting shoppers dressed in strange ways, typically to much ridicule and laughter. So, why are their “costumes” a problem, you ask? Let’s examine:

tumblr_inline_nwtxrzKgFq1scnk1b_400.png

Wall, pictured with her husband, appear to dress as an unmarried interracial couple. How do I draw this conclusion? Jeptha’s t-shirt refers to him as “Baby’s Daddy,” and their “children,” doll in hand and dolls in a stroller or cart, are both visually racially black and racially white. Jeptha wears a bandana, pants worn below the waist with underwear visible, a toy gun tucked into his pants, and a wad of cash clipped to his belt or waistline. I do not need to tell anyone what stereotype his “costume” plays to.

tumblr_inline_nwtxt73fwG1scnk1b_500.jpg

According to Rawstory, Lee Ann Wall “…is wearing a short skirt, spandex tights and a tank top stuffed with what appears to be replica food stamps. Her long nails are painted green, her blonde hair is braided and she is holding a smart phone. The couple is standing behind a toy shopping cart filled with mixed-race baby dolls, along with a sign that reads: “You wait on pay day, I be waiting for da first of da month!” The use of AAVE leaves little to the imagination as to whom they are mocking and stereotyping. Rawstory mentions the possibility of replica Food Stamps. If this is, in fact, what is on Wall’s tank top, but her husband is pictured “flush” with cash, it gives the appearance that this “family” is gaming their SNAP benefits. Everything about this “costume choice” reeks… and the couple surely knows it.

tumblr_inline_nwtxsfC2HX1scnk1b_500.jpg

I find it difficult to believe this educated couple was not aware of what they were doing. Surely they have taken classes, or participated in professional development, in the areas of children in poverty, racism in education, multicultural education. Surely they have seen or heard of the many instances of racially-themed parties, which made national news? Seen or heard of other educators who were caught making racially-charged remarks and downright racist statements? Surely they knew, or should have known, their costume choice would offend many people. And you know what? Even if the couple’s heads were buried in the sand, and they missed every single headline about these occurrences, a few things shed light on Mrs. Wall’s response to being called out:

• No public apology has appeared in the press or anywhere else (except perhaps to her boss and school?), that I can determine.

• People, including me, tweeted to her about this (she blocked me); Subsequently, she deleted her Twitter account.

I encourage the public to hold people accountable, and I invited the public to ask Mrs. Wall what she was thinking when they decided to dress this way. I also encouraged the public to contact the district superintendent to voice concerns and make formal complaints. Educators are accountable to students, parents, and the public, as public employees whose salaries are paid by tax dollars. Your public is waiting for you to explain your “costume” choice, to understand why said choice was wrong and not appropriate, to apologize, and to proffer how you both will make amends. Quite frankly, I do not believe either of you should be in leadership positions, and I seriously question your ability to treat all students fairly. In short, I do not think you should be employed in any educational position which has you responsible for students.

In closing, I want every employee of any school/educational institution to know that open season on black and brown bodies, and the poor, is over. Perpetuating stereotypes, racist behavior and comments, erroneous suspensions for dubious reasons…. all of it… is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. You will hear from me. I will share these stories on social media. We will make the world aware of what you do. In this modern age of racial justice and protests, you may look up one day to find us outside your schools and district offices. I, for one, will be leading that charge.

http://myactivism.tumblr.com/post/131950048792

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/school-principal-and-coach-mock-welfare-recipients-with-people-of-walmart-halloween-costumes/

"I am tired of watching police throw children to the ground."

"I am tired of seeing grown men throw children to the ground."

Aisha Tyler

tumblr_nwwiugs4Wx1rqsdhro1_500.jpg

*CORRECTION*

“If Officer Ben Fields wouldn’t have brutalized her, you wouldn’t be standing there today”

Victim blaming son of a bitch. Apparently he is dating a Black Woman. He said that as his “I’m not racist excuse”. You can date a person of color and still be racist, you racist asshole.

Let’s be honest. What he really wanted to say was “She was asking for it”.

I just took issue with the implication that some lives don't matter. I think that was what others didn't like, too. To me, even the implication or suggestion that some lives matter more than others is a bit troubling.

When I see and hear President Obama, I cannot help but be struck by the difference between the Republican clown car full of hopefuls and him.

President Obama is modest. His expression is modest. His movements are modest.
His mode is calm. He possesses a stillness.

The Republic hopefuls remind me of the Salesman from Pee Wee's Play house.

The Republicans are selling, selling, selling! Everything about them is loud. Not a genuine thing about them. Something unpleasant seems to ooze from their very pores. It is as if their exteriors hide something.

This is what happens to a person when they have no principles and no honor.
The inner hideous and reuplsive is not contained, no matter how much make up is piled on. The contradiction of claiming to be the most wholesome, and superior, and being the most greedy, dishonest, and self serving, splits open a chasm. From the chasm emerges a grotesteque monster wearing a person suit.

Each Republican imagines that his evil deeds and deceptions are hidden away like Dorian Grey's portrait, when nothing could be further from the truth. Their past and present evils betray themselves, on the very face they present to the public.

Back