The 'ice storm'

A lot of the ladies on here live in the affected area...hoping they are ok and have power back for cooking Christmas dinner:rose::rose:

Phelia and eve are most likely without power.

They say it may be on by tomorrow for them.

Last edited:
My apartment is still without power, Toronto Hydro is saying some may not be without power until this weekend. Good thing my family home wasn't affected so my roommates and I had some place to crash.

Horrible news for spending the holidays and the people that died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Using the bbq for heat in desperate times. gah.

My apartment is still without power, Toronto Hydro is saying some may not be without power until this weekend. Good thing my family home wasn't affected so my roommates and I had some place to crash.

Horrible news for spending the holidays and the people that died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Using the bbq for heat in desperate times. gah.

My-friend-told-me-that-humans-are-exempt-from-natural-selection.-I-beg-to-differ.-Imgur.jpg

Parts of metro Detroit, northern, and western Michigan are still out of power as well. Some 80k people i think

Parts of metro Detroit, northern, and western Michigan are still out of power as well. Some 80k people i think

Everyone is giving me shite, saying I had the wrong country....
But surely all of those ^^^^ places aren't in Canada?
;)

Everyone is giving me shite, saying I had the wrong country....
But surely all of those ^^^^ places aren't in Canada?
;)

Ya but we are so close to Canada we are like honorary Canadians. I can see Windsor from my house. Detroit is actually north of Canada

Ya but we are so close to Canada we are like honorary Canadians. I can see Windsor from my house. Detroit is actually north of Canada

So, you'd rather be Canadian than American? (By American, i mean a citizen of the USA)

I might take you up on that!

I now have family staying, who still have no power
they're in the hardest hit area
hydro may have to go house to house

Hydro crews from Manitoba are expected to come help

We're expecting temps of -14°C/6°F tonight

news of carbon monoxide related deaths
people burning furniture to keep warm
so sad

I now have family staying, who still have no power
they're in the hardest hit area
hydro may have to go house to house

Hydro crews from Manitoba are expected to come help

We're expecting temps of -14°C/6°F tonight

news of carbon monoxide related deaths
people burning furniture to keep warm
so sad

Stay safe!

You're welcome to stay
but I doubt you could survive
the winter north of the border

Snapped a few pics on drive into town

That's about the scene we've had for the past week. My power came back on today... sort of. Half of my house still won't juice up (including the furnace; thank goodness for space heaters), due to fallen branches. The utilities' guys are still hard at it; they'll get to us, eventually (they said possibly today, I'm still waiting).

It won't warm up to melt away all the ice until Saturday (supposedly up to 36 degrees... riiiiiight. :rolleyes: ), but I have some power, so that's a comfort.

We're hangin' in there. :)

That's about the scene we've had for the past week. My power came back on today... sort of. Half of my house still won't juice up (including the furnace; thank goodness for space heaters), due to fallen branches. The utilities' guys are still hard at it; they'll get to us, eventually (they said possibly today, I'm still waiting).

It won't warm up to melt away all the ice until Saturday (supposedly up to 36 degrees... riiiiiight. :rolleyes: ), but I have some power, so that's a comfort.

We're hangin' in there. :)

If you have power to half your house I could help you get your furnace up and going, assuming it is a propane or nat gas. If it's electric you're SOL.

Yeah, this storm was nasty! And what a shitty time to have hit, just before Christmas. We got our power back in time for Christmas, luckily. There are still some people without...thank goodness the temps went up today to a balmy zero. :rolleyes:

I have to admit, though, that it was damn pretty. Some of the pics I took:

DSC00753.jpg
DSC00754.jpg

DSC00756.jpg
DSC00757.jpg

DSC00758.jpg
DSC00759.jpg

DSC00764.jpg
DSC00765.jpg

DSC00761.jpg

Great pics.....I recall when that happened to us a few years ago......ruined skiing in the woods because it broke and dropped so many large branches all over the mountain.

Back