You can afford anything. What's your indulgence?

I think I'd try to restore/upgrade a small town. Turn it into someplace that people want to have lunch, shop, and take pictures, or move to. I have places near tourist attractions or vacation homes or private colleges in mind as models. Lake Geneva, WI, Hammondsport, NY, Wellsboro PA, Mt. Dora, Florida. See that there are trees, front porches, sidewalks and streetlights in the residential areas. There would be park space with a fountain or band stand. Speaking of park space, there would be a skateboard park close to the firehouse or medical center in case somebody got hurt. There would be a free parking garage downtown. A boulevard or a pedestrian mall. The shops and eateries would have housing on the second or third floor that the people who worked there could afford to live in. Some sort of family entertainment, such as a bowling alley, movie theater, indoor swimming pool or ice rink. An ice cream shop. A library, of course.

We recently got a maid, and it has been well worth it.

I am the sort of person who would NEVER ask anybody to do something I would not do myself, and while I will do housework of course, it was just soooooooooooo time consuming! So a maid has been nice so we can concentrate our home life doing other stuff.

As for my next indulgence, I always wanted a Bentley. Nothing extravagant, just a Bentley Continental GT.

I'm mostly not for the extravagant kind of living, but I guess some of this would seem such.

A housekeeper would be among the first things to get. It would probably mean the most to my daily life - and I wouldn't be able to handle the rest without help. I'd really need a manager for everything.
I'd get a nice property which would become (almost) self-sustaining. It would include a conservatory big enough to have exotic fruit trees and bushes. Even outdoors there would be all kinds of edible plants that are uncommon here. There would probably be enough to feed my workers too. And it would be within city limits. It's very well possible here. Use of cars could be limited.

I'm not vegan. I'd eat game (there are too many whitetails around anyway, it's a foreign species here) and then of course I'd have chickens and other poultry grown, going around old-fashioned in the garden. And plenty of fish.

I'd have all my clothes and accessories made to measure. Shoes definitely included. That's the only way to get really fitting clothes and something that isn't in fashion (cause screw the fashion). I'd probably actually have plenty of historical style clothes, or then I'd combine historical and more modern elements.

I think I'd try to restore/upgrade a small town. Turn it into someplace that people want to have lunch, shop, and take pictures, or move to. I have places near tourist attractions or vacation homes or private colleges in mind as models. Lake Geneva, WI, Hammondsport, NY, Wellsboro PA, Mt. Dora, Florida. See that there are trees, front porches, sidewalks and streetlights in the residential areas. There would be park space with a fountain or band stand. Speaking of park space, there would be a skateboard park close to the firehouse or medical center in case somebody got hurt. There would be a free parking garage downtown. A boulevard or a pedestrian mall. The shops and eateries would have housing on the second or third floor that the people who worked there could afford to live in. Some sort of family entertainment, such as a bowling alley, movie theater, indoor swimming pool or ice rink. An ice cream shop. A library, of course.
Mt Dora has such potential

A semi-secret second household containing a young "wife," and our kids...

I've been around long enough to know I don't want to be someone's exclusive partner. I could pay the expenses of a partner's other partner.

Back