The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

My darlingest husband-creature is of the opinion that Caramel-Chocca-Mocha-Hazelnut-Vanilla Latte is a major contributory factor in the decline of western civilization; he's right up there with the French coffecionados who believe putting anything in a coffee except more coffee is a sin against nature and offenders should be nailed to the city gates as a warning to others. He's of the opinion, oft-expressed, that if you wanted a cup full of sickly, syrupy stuff, why the f*ck did you ask for coffee...?

I do trust he would make an exception for brandy, whisky or, considering your location, calvados? There are some mornings which just call out for an enhanced cup.

I do trust he would make an exception for brandy, whisky or, considering your location, calvados? There are some mornings which just call out for an enhanced cup.

Most mornings, by the time he's had his fifth cup of the black, tarry stuff he calls coffee, I have to go into the ER and knock him off the ceiling with a push-broom, then have the orderlies sit on him until his eyes both start spinning in the same direction; I honestly believe that if an earthquake were to strike, he'd save his N'Espresso machine then come back for me (if safe to do so...)

Enhancement's the last thing he needs, believe me...

Most mornings, by the time he's had his fifth cup of the black, tarry stuff he calls coffee, I have to go into the ER and knock him off the ceiling with a push-broom, then have the orderlies sit on him until his eyes both start spinning in the same direction; I honestly believe that if an earthquake were to strike, he'd save his N'Espresso machine then come back for me (if safe to do so...)

Enhancement's the last thing he needs, believe me...

I think Chloe's has a similar problem, on occasion.
Can you get [dare i say it] 'defcaf' and add a bit to his brew ?

Well, it seems that my meds are trying to work; according to mt GP, anyway.

Time, I think, for tea

The perfect decaf is water. :cool:

For the rest of us, fresh coffee is available along with a fresh kettle.

The latest book is finished and off to the editor. The ending has more twists and turns than a Disneyland ticket line. Now it is time to see if it was too much or not.

Bacon sandwiches for a late lunch. Sounds like a plan. :)

I made my first soup of the season. It was mostly chicken and apple sausage with onion, greens, eggplant and tomato, seasoned with black and red pepper. I can still feel the spice on my lips.

There are lots of leftovers. I'll leave it in a pot at the end of the counter. If the coffee doesn't open your eyes, then the soup will.

Edit: Oh! and white beans, too.

Last edited:
The perfect decaf is water. :cool:

For the rest of us, fresh coffee is available along with a fresh kettle.

The latest book is finished and off to the editor. The ending has more twists and turns than a Disneyland ticket line. Now it is time to see if it was too much or not.

Bacon sandwiches for a late lunch. Sounds like a plan. :)

'Decaf'? Wash your mouth out, HP. And Tex, I'll drink water when the fish climb out of it to take a piss; until then, just keep sliding the coffee-pot this way, I need my coffee black and delicious, the way God intended, mainly to stop me going on an hysterical killing spree among the monied morons wandering in here and demanding cosmetic surgery ('we fix hearts, dear, not faces, and I have no suggestions for you, except maybe a floor-length hat...?'), and Martinis at night, God's own antidote to France.

'Decaf'? Wash your mouth out, HP. And Tex, I'll drink water when the fish climb out of it to take a piss; until then, just keep sliding the coffee-pot this way, I need my coffee black and delicious, the way God intended, mainly to stop me going on an hysterical killing spree among the monied morons wandering in here and demanding cosmetic surgery ('we fix hearts, dear, not faces, and I have no suggestions for you, except maybe a floor-length hat...?'), and Martinis at night, God's own antidote to France.

I was merely thinking of reducing the caffeine level; not committing murder or something. But I do like that 'antidote'; it's one of the best I've read. :rose:

[ "Sorry Sir/Madam, we don't fix faces here; but if you ever have a Heart Attack, do look us up; we'll be happy to help." ]

Why is it, when they do cosmetic surgery and need extra skin, they always take it off your ass? Does skin grow back faster on your ass? Scars don't show back there? Some people like showing their ass and some people like looking at them.

Hey now! How did I end up on this soapbox? :eek:

Fresh coffee for the late afternoon crowd.

Yes, I took the morning off. :)

Why is it, when they do cosmetic surgery and need extra skin, they always take it off your ass? Does skin grow back faster on your ass? Scars don't show back there? Some people like showing their ass and some people like looking at them.

Why is it that my colour printer does not seem to like heavy gloss photo paper ?
It's time -consuming trying to put sheets in singly !
And not reliable!

We had a guy in our office some years ago who was completely bald, due to a skin graft on his skull. It had been taken from his backside; I forgot to ask how long that sitting down stopped hurting.

Time for tea.

Oh, come on, printer just pring the bloody thing !

Why is it that my colour printer does not seem to like heavy gloss photo paper ?
It's time -consuming trying to put sheets in singly !
And not reliable!

Time for tea.

Oh, come on, printer just pring the bloody thing !

One cuppa coming up.

The gloss paper is slick and the printer is having trouble getting a traction grip on it. High gloss takes a photo grade printer to work right. A friend of mine has a print shop so I got the facts from the owner.

Fresh coffee for the evening grope, uh, group.

Taking time off from writing doesn't stop the brain from thinking about stories. I've never done a mystery but now I have a kernel of an idea. This could go well or it could go to hell very quickly. I think I'll just keep thinking about it for a while. That is, if this damned plot bunny will stop humping my leg. :eek:

Coffee coffee coffee. Whacking out my Aussie story and it's coming along fast now.... I better get THIS one done!

I don't know that skin-grafting works in quite that way; most elective cosmetic surgery is about removing loose and distended skin, not adding more in; skin-grafting is in itself a clinical procedure rather than a cosmetic solution, and is more about resolving skin issues as part of, for instance, burns therapy, skin ulceration and bed-sores, or cancer or amputation post-operative wound-care and treatment than about making a 65 year-old look 35.

I understand from a former colleague of mine that the skin they harvest responds well to electrolytic hair removal once in-situ and the graft has 'taken', which is a good thing, because who wants a skin-graft on their face that's constantly sprouting random pubic hairs? Take that last bit with a pinch of salt, by the way; she may have been giving me the straight goods, or she may have just been screwing with me...

There are some truly scary examples of shiny-faced, frozen-featured 30 year-old faces on 70 year-old bodies stalking the streets here; they mostly don't eat a lot, because their mouths have been Botoxed into frightening straight-lines and frozen, mad-eyed, staring grins, and conversations in the bistros and restaurants tend to be of the mumbled kind, because no-one can move their lips; lunch anywhere in Antibes is like some kind of danse macabre, feasting while surrounded by the living dead...

I don't know that skin-grafting works in quite that way; most elective cosmetic surgery is about removing loose and distended skin, not adding more in; skin-grafting is in itself a clinical procedure rather than a cosmetic solution, and is more about resolving skin issues as part of, for instance, burns therapy, skin ulceration and bed-sores, or cancer or amputation post-operative wound-care and treatment than about making a 65 year-old look 35.

There are some truly scary examples of shiny-faced, frozen-featured 30 year-old faces on 70 year-old bodies stalking the streets here; they mostly don't eat a lot, because their mouths have been Botoxed into frightening straight-lines and frozen, mad-eyed, staring grins, and conversations in the bistros and restaurants tend to be of the mumbled kind, because no-one can move their lips; lunch anywhere in Antibes is like some kind of danse macabre, feasting while surrounded by the living dead...

As I recall, my colleague had suffered scalp damage in a fire [or something else as 'orrible].

You mean they look like the "before" page, not the "after" ?
:rose:

It's noon and I come dragging ass in. I finished two short pieces last night and early this morning. No, I'm not talking about HM & HG. I actually finished two stories in one evening. :eek:

I had cupcakes for breakfast. A friend of mine's granddaughter dropped off a half dozen Halloween cupcakes. Lime green icing, purple icing, black icing, Super sweet and one big gooey mess. Just the way I like them. Cupcakes folks, I'm talking cupcakes.

Objective for the day. None at the moment but that is subject to change at any second. I'm still mulling over the mystery story. So far I have an old house inherited from a dead family member and a wall full of money. So many ways to go and so many different characters are auditioning for parts. My head is sometime a very crowded place.

I look at the "future" wall of one of my 'in-course-of-production' stories and it's blank.
It's thoroughly depressing

Pass the Coffee please

I look at the "future" wall of one of my 'in-course-of-production' stories and it's blank.
It's thoroughly depressing

Pass the Coffee please

Blank walls are the canvas of the mind. Toss some paint and see what develops. Kind of like my old book in a box thing. 10k words in a box, some assemble required. The title of the book is, How to build a writer. :D

Coffee on the way.

Throw it out here. Ideas ten a dime.

Well,. . .
I have a bloke who can repair a statue; it's one of an angel in the local graveyard which suffers deliberate damage (vandalism) and volunteers to put it together.
After a bit of a chat with the firm of Masons, it transpires that they let him put it together.
It turns out that the original sculptor was a bit of a genius and modelled the thing (family rumour) on his wife, who was [predictably] gorgeous.

And a descendant daughter is an exact model of the statue. . .

Ah well, it was a nice idea. . .

A conciliatory cup of Tea would be most welcome.

Well,. . .
I have a bloke who can repair a statue; it's one of an angel in the local graveyard which suffers deliberate damage (vandalism) and volunteers to put it together.
After a bit of a chat with the firm of Masons, it transpires that they let him put it together.
It turns out that the original sculptor was a bit of a genius and modelled the thing (family rumour) on his wife, who was [predictably] gorgeous.

And a descendant daughter is an exact model of the statue. . .

Ah well, it was a nice idea. . .

A conciliatory cup of Tea would be most welcome.

And she volunteers to act as a model for him for the restoration and he's a bit visually challenged so he needs to go hands on and....

You smooth talker. Sculptor. Clay. Slippery hands.... away you go HP. I want to read this.

Slippery hands? :D Those seem to get almost everyone in trouble at one time or another.

Fresh coffee for the night crew.

Are the ideas what makes a writer or the execution of those ideas?

Back