My "favorite" AI picture and what it says about the state of AI

View attachment 2331443

I was going to use this as a cover image for my story (are we allowed to use AI for that, by the way) and it's pretty good. The red haired girls eyes are a bit off, but it's pretty good. And annoyingly it seems to have gotten all the rests eyes right. I got this off of a free AI place, any free AI place that might correct it out there?
Creepy hands, one with five fingers and a thumb. Do you not see those distortions? And whose hand is that on the back of the girl on the right?

You have to work with the tech. I often reject like 50-100 images before finding one that is OK, or which can be cropped (e.g. losing AI “hands”) to be OK.
You can often take it into Gimp or Photoshop and just draw fingers 'by hand' - they don't have to be perfect. Then take it back into something like StableDiffusion in 'img2img' and have it smooth over a rough attempt at a hand into something that actually looks good.

AI can 'fix' a badly drawn but anatomically correct hand, it just has trouble drawing original hands.

Once I get a pic I semi like out of StableDiffusion I tend to take it back and forth between that and Gimp dozens of times - manually added or removing things, or drawing things in by hand, and pass it through img2img several dozen if not more than a 100 times.

Creepy hands, one with five fingers and a thumb. Do you not see those distortions? And whose hand is that on the back of the girl on the right?

Wasn't really focused on the hands, I don't have a hand fetish, if that's a thing.

Last edited:
You can often take it into Gimp or Photoshop and just draw fingers 'by hand' - they don't have to be perfect. Then take it back into something like StableDiffusion in 'img2img' and have it smooth over a rough attempt at a hand into something that actually looks good.

AI can 'fix' a badly drawn but anatomically correct hand, it just has trouble drawing original hands.

Once I get a pic I semi like out of StableDiffusion I tend to take it back and forth between that and Gimp dozens of times - manually added or removing things, or drawing things in by hand, and pass it through img2img several dozen if not more than a 100 times.
Yeah - not so easy when I’m doing it all on my phone 😬

View attachment 2331443

I was going to use this as a cover image for my story (are we allowed to use AI for that, by the way) and it's pretty good. The red haired girls eyes are a bit off, but it's pretty good. And annoyingly it seems to have gotten all the rests eyes right. I got this off of a free AI place, any free AI place that might correct it out there?
No you can’t use AI for cover images.

I will say that while AI in general does have an issue with fingers, hands ect. there is a massive difference between the kind of free services found on the web and locally run AI programs on a capable computer. The ability to adjust models and parameters and inpaint hands until they look right is simply not an option on other services.

Wasn't really focused on the hands, I don't have a hand fetish, if that's a thing.
My point is that people just don't seem to "see" these distortions, wherever they show up in the image. Hands are always the worst (claws, extra fingers), then squinty eyes, and the AI render often adds in extra limbs, weird lines on flesh or clothing.

The renders are junk, and people want to use them for book covers? That's a very low quality standard, I'd have thought.

I’m getting burned out. (Sorry if this is stream-of-consciousness.)

I feel bad for women *and* men. It used to be bad enough that there were so many images published with unrealistic standards of “beauty” or “sexiness” (think Playboy or Cosmo) that made women feel inadequate and gave young men expectations for girlfriends that could never happen. Now, however, even real women are being supplanted by a flood of impossibly perfected AI images.

For months I’ve been diligent about reacting with the “love” icon only for pictures of real women and ignoring or occasionally giving the “like” icon for an artificial image. (Even when the central image is good enough, the blurred or incongruous backgrounds are a silly give-away.) But I’m starting to get burned out… Most posters don’t seem to care whether the image they post is real or AI, and most other viewers don’t seem to care whether an image is real or AI.

I’ll probably stop caring so much about the close cases and unsubscribe from the threads that have become mostly AI. I’ll reserve reacting with “love” for obviously real. I’ll just stop reacting with “like” for anything I would have to work too hard to evaluate. <sigh>

Last edited:
I'm starting to develop unrealistic expectations about beautiful women with six fingers on each hand and knees that bend the wrong way. My ten-fingered wife just doesn't do it for me anymore.
I absolutely concur with that sentiment, but there seem to be a lot of people who seem to prefer posting and reposting plastic images rather than real.

I'm starting to develop unrealistic expectations about beautiful women with six fingers on each hand and knees that bend the wrong way. My ten-fingered wife just doesn't do it for me anymore.
Perhaps digital surgery will become a thing, where you can splice in a fly or a lobster, and have your favourite claw. Jeff Goldblum, move over!

Now, however, even real women are being supplanted by a flood of impossibly perfected AI images.
Not all AI images are perfect (even allowing for finger abnormalities - or collar bone ones below). This is a AI image, the one I used on Xitter (as not even I am stupid enough to post a real photo). It’s far from perfect.

GFCIrqEXEAAyJvV

Emily

Last edited:
Not all AI images are perfect (even allowing for finger abnormalities - or collar bone ones below). This is a AI image, the one I used on Xitter (as not even I am stupid enough to post a real photo). It’s far from perfect.
It's better than most, although the background has gone off with its verticals, plus the weird collar bones. I notice you've gone all coy on the boobs ;).

I notice you've gone all coy on the boobs
My Xitter is like 98% SFW (if you don’t click on any story links). I had to beat the AI into submission with a dragon tail to get boobs that small. It loves two things: teens and melons.

Emily

GFCIrqEXEAAyJvV

Emily

The chest is a dizzying perspective and something about the eyes is off, almost like anime eyes. But I love the facial expression. That part is fantastic. That hint of a smirk and her looking like she's simultaneously excited and unimpressed, like she sees right through whatever drab person she's looking at but knows she's going to enjoy what happens next.

The chest is a dizzying perspective and something about the eyes is off, almost like anime eyes. But I love the facial expression. That part is fantastic. That hint of a smirk and her looking like she's simultaneously excited and unimpressed, like she sees right through whatever drab person she's looking at but knows she's going to enjoy what happens next.
Yeah - the expression is good 😊

Despite the obvious giveaways, I don’t mind it as an avatar.

Emily

The chest is a dizzying perspective
I’ve been doing some scientific comparisons with a live model 😬. It’s not so far off if you are small on top and your breasts are low-set. But I know what you mean. It’s not the perky picture of womanhood generally portrayed. But the collar bone is kinda Xneomorph-like.

Emily

Back