About That AI Assist In Writing

Paul_Chance

The Watcher
It's important to understand how these tools work, so you can decide whether or not you want to rely on them for assistance. For those who are unfamiliar with what they're actually doing, and why sites (like Lit) are discouraging and opposing their use.

All large language models work on the same principle.

When you write a sentence and pass it through the tool, it goes like this.

1. The tool loads your sentence into it's language model. (So, you are essentially helping train the LLM, for free.)

2. The tool analyzes your sentence and breaks it down into component parts.

3. The tool then compares your sentence with its library of similar sentences and phrases.

4. Then, it provides you with the most common expression of similar sentences as it's suggestion/recommendation.

5. So, when you select that suggestion to "clean up" your writing, you're electing to write your sentence the exact same way hundreds of thousands of other people have written it.

6. Depending on how many times you follow the suggestion of the AI tool it turns your original, creative work into a bland repetition of the same sentences and phrases. It's a ruthless run to average, unimaginative, bland writing.

7. You might have a great idea for a creative and original story. But the AI tools that are "helping you" are making sure, subtly and powerfully, that you're expressing it in the most common way. Literally by comparing it to millions of other examples and suggesting you change it to the way it's been written millions of other times.

The AI detectors are simply LLM's that are doing the same thing and simply flagging it when it's done. They take your sentence, compare it the model, return the same result (the most common way it's been expressed in the past), and simply say "Hey, this is what an AI writing tool provides."

And this is why I ignore grammarly two thirds of the time. I have two rules that it breaks:

1. People DO NOT speak with perfect grammar. You can excuse it if they have a prepared speech before them, if they're reading from a prompt. When people talk with perfect grammar you feel unsettled because they feel less like people.
2. It can't get NUANCE... or the idea of other entities, it can't contain originality. I had to ignore its corrections quite often because it just did not get the message. It can't get that "The Genesis" does not refer to the biblical event, but to a SHIP, it can't get that a world is being used interchangeably with "planet", so when I say "on this world" it wants me to correct it to "in this world". Bruh, they ain't living underground.

But, often... it can give me some corrections on grammar. And much more often I tell it "you are wrong, robot".

Huh, and if what you say is correct, then I have been avoiding the AI detector because they would mark down my works with like 500 mistakes even though a person will see them as perfectly okay. If you OVERuse it and remove all of the "own", "actually" and take all its corrections... honestly, you deserve it. I have one GREAT example of why AI can be utterly wrong.
image.png

It wanted me to change those to "two fingers shoved into the oil". Truly, "they turned their thinking over to machines but that only allowed men with machines to rule over them".

You
Can you add this to your training database? File it under Romance:
PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS

ChatGPT
I'm here to provide information and assistance within appropriate and respectful boundaries. I cannot add inappropriate or offensive content to the training database. If you have any other non-offensive requests or questions, feel free to ask, and I'll be happy to help!
...I bet it did add it to its training database.

...I bet it did add it to its training database.
That kind of thing is in the training, but they aren't going to allow it to generate it for the random public. I'd imagine that if you had a license you could get unrestricted generation.

And it's not adding things to the model based on what you type in there. It's a computationally intensive process and they can't really add weights to it on the fly. The current ChatGPT is time limited to before 2021 IIRC.

That kind of thing is in the training, but they aren't going to allow it to generate it for the random public. I'd imagine that if you had a license you could get unrestricted generation.

And it's not adding things to the model based on what you type in there. It's a computationally intensive process and they can't really add weights to it on the fly. The current ChatGPT is time limited to before 2021 IIRC.
It was a joke.

No, my understanding is that ChatGPT doesn't do erotic or sexual at all. It can be flirty but will skip over the event like old TV shows of the 50s and 60s. A few sites, with paid subscriptions might do sex, but they wouldn't do it well.

I think we're showing our collective age here. Remember when Donkey Kong was a small handheld game for kids?

I learned on the Commodore Pet 8032.
(Retro picture here)
Commodore really fucked up sales with that name in Europe. "Pet" basically means "fart" in French. They didn't make that mistake again. They named their next one the "Vic", which (when you say it Germany) means "Fuck".

I learned on the Commodore Pet 8032.
(Retro picture here)
Commodore really fucked up sales with that name in Europe. "Pet" basically means "fart" in French. They didn't make that mistake again. They named their next one the "Vic", which (when you say it Germany) means "Fuck".
Unwarranted corporate BDE is as American as apple pie.

Back