Stories based on a song?

Rob_Royale

with cheese
Writing erotica seems to have changed my perception of things. I'm always looking for sexy ideas or stories. On my way into town the song Your Love by the Outfield came on and I was singing along and realized that is a fucking your ex story. That might be fun to write. Anyone done a story based on a song?

Josie's on a vacation far away
Come around and talk it over
So many things that I want to say
You know I like my girls a little bit older

I just want to use your love tonight
I don't want to lose your love tonight

I ain't got many friends left to talk to
Nowhere to run when I'm in trouble
You know I'd do anything for you
Stay the night but keep it under cover

Try to stop my hands from shaking
But something in my mind's not making sense
It's been a while since we were all alone
But I can't hide the way I'm feeling

As you're leaving please would you close the door?
And don't forget what I told you
Just 'cause you're right that don't mean I'm wrong
Another shoulder to cry upon

Music threads through my being so also through everything I write.

I don't care to pull my narrative from songs (the form is often too restrictive to translate to page) but themes, subtext, concepts all are regularly inspired by a clever lyrical turn of phrase.

My real hesitation/reluctance to overtly use or name a specific work is everyone has their own experience with and meaning from a song. Too heavy a reliance on my own context can lead to a clashing. (listening to musician's podcasts, the difference between the original meaning/inspiration and what listeners draw from it conflicts are a very regular thing)

Personally, it's a balancing act. I'm agreeable to give readers a commonality but I don't want to rely on the expectation of shared experience or similar interpretation. Their understanding of what a song "is" is just as valid as mine.

Writing erotica seems to have changed my perception of things. I'm always looking for sexy ideas or stories. On my way into town the song Your Love by the Outfield came on and I was singing along and realized that is a fucking your ex story. That might be fun to write. Anyone done a story based on a song?

There was an author's challenge along those lines a couple of years ago. Someone will likely pop into the thread and remember what it was called.

Several of my stories have been inspired by a song or song lyrics. The most obvious here on Literotica is "Made", a romance inspired by the Spencer Crandall song.

I had to hear this again to remember it. The name of the band initially didn't register with me.

The only problem with basing it on a song is that there there has been a lot of speculation here about how much of a song's lyrics we can quote in a story. Usually, these things are now online now so someone unfamiliar with it can hear the whole thing. Musical tastes vary a lot too. Anyway, I have mentioned songs in stories but they are not the main plot point.

One of my few IT stories takes place in the small town of Colrain, Mass. To make fun of the place, the local teenagers there had rewritten the old J.J. Cale tune "Cocaine" made famous by Eric Clapton so that one stanza went:

It's a dive, it's a dive, it's a dive...

Colrain.

A couple characters and scenes have been inspired by Tom Robinson's Rum, Thunderbird, particularly my memory of a live performance which I recall as slightly different lyrics: "I want to get legless, and scream like a girl. That's the most wonderful thing in the world."

The relevant released lyrics include:
Rum, Thunderbird wine and Coke
My mouth is as dry as the back of my throat
I'm wrecked in the bedroom and ready to hurl
That's the most natural thing in the world
Flying with CDs and Es at the flat
On a weekend my best friend and I
Are smoking and drinking and both of us thinking
The things we all think when we're high
The ceiling is reeling, I know how you're feeling
About to crash out for the night
If we became closer well no one would know
So roll over and switch out the light
Rum, Thunderbird wine and Coke
To tell you the truth I need to be juiced
I wanna get naked and scream like a girl
That's the most natural thing in the world.

I don't pull from entire songs, but individual lines have certainly inspired me. There's two rattling around in my head right now. The first is from Metric's "Underline the Black," I'm not sorry, I don't think of you that often, which I will figure out SOMEthing to do with.

The other is from Phantogram's "Never Going Home," If this is love, I'm never going home, which I'm already using as a sort of call to action for the protagonist in a story called "'Home' is a Four Letter Word" after turning onto his street while his wife is sending her lover away. But that one keeps going back again and again for rewrites, so who knows when I'll get it out.

I've played with song titles. My story Michael's Mom Has Got It Going On obviously is based on the song Stacy's Mom Has Got It Going On.

I'm finishing a mother-son story right now that I intend to publish under the title Mama Told Me Not To Come, the title of the song that Three Dog Night turned into a number 1 hit.

One of my few IT stories takes place in the small town of Colrain, Mass. To make fun of the place, the local teenagers there had rewritten the old J.J. Cale tune "Cocaine" made famous by Eric Clapton so that one stanza went:

It's a dive, it's a dive, it's a dive...

Colrain.
Yeah, it's a real place; population of about 1,600. How do you know it?

A lot of my stories are based on songs. I also have several whose titles are from song lyrics but the story doesn't actually relate to the song (but it did inspire the story at least).

A lot of my stories are based on songs. I also have several whose titles are from song lyrics but the story doesn't actually relate to the song (but it did inspire the story at least).
My sentiments and situation exactly.

I often use snippets of songs in my stories, usually to create some romance. My Valentine story A Twist of Fate, had classic songs all through it, that several readers commented that they enjoyed. Still the One, about a couple who nearly divorce, was inspired by Orlean's hit of the same name. One reader mentioned that he loved to play the songs I've chosen in the background, while reading my stories. He especially liked that I'd picked Joe Cocker's haunting ballad You Are So Beautiful, for their romantic Valentine's dance as the MC realizes that he's fallen in love with his lady in Unexpected Romance.

Snippets of songs appear in a number of my stories. One story I wrote was directly inspired by Neil Diamond's 'Solitary Man.'

It recalls the lost love of my MC, coincidently named Johnny Diamond [wink]. He falls for a girl named Belinda.
Coincidences abound in my theme, paralleling Neil's song [another wink]. A third character appears; she's named Sue, too [another wink, wink]. The first verse is as follows:

Belinda was mine 'til the time that I found her
Holdin' Jim and loving him
Then Sue came along, loved me strong
That's what I thought: me and Sue
But that died, too ….

The allegoric story is 'Johnny Diamond on Becoming a Solitary Man.' Some critics took me to task for not keeping Johnny and Belinda together, but that wasn't the mood set for MY story!

I don't think I've actually written a story based on a song, but I've thought about many possible stories inspired by songs. In particular:

• Stacy's Mom (already mentioned upthread) - a dude jonesing for his GF's mom
  • Escape (the Pina Colada Song) - a couple who almost wander, because they've gotten too comfortable with each other to keep the excitement alive. But in the end, they learn a valuable lesson.
  • Brandy, You're a Fine Girl - a homebound woman and a seafaring man, who can only get together a few times a year. In my (unwritten) version, they find solace when apart, she in the arms of her fellow bar maidens, and he in time-honored sodomy on his sailing vessel.

Author StangStar06 did one based on that song a while ago, titled, Your Love. He had quite a few song-based titles, if I remember correctly.

Songs always feel like a good source of inspiration, even if you don't draw directly from the story told by the lyrics. I've done a few, with tales "I Can See Clearly Now," and "Sky Rockets in Flight," among them.

I ain't got many friends left to talk to
Nowhere to run when I'm in trouble
You know I'd do anything for you
Stay the night but keep it under cover

Try to stop my hands from shaking
But something in my mind's not making sense
It's been a while since we were all alone
But I can't hide the way I'm feeling

As you're leaving please would you close the door?
And don't forget what I told you
Just 'cause you're right that don't mean I'm wrong
Another shoulder to cry upon

Not yet, but I have a couple building in my head inspired by, The Faces "Oh La La" and Meatloaf's "Two Out of Three".

Comshaw

I've gotten several stories from country/western music. It's a genre of music that for the most part has kept up the practice of a song telling a story. If you aren't familiar with country/music, have a listen to these and see if they don't spark at least one story idea.

"Redneck Woman", by Gretchen Wilson
"Slow Dance", by Michael Peterson

Back