Song lyrics in stories

ShelbyDawn57

Neo - Philocalist
Working on a story that has significant lyrics from two songs in one section. Is it sufficient to give credit to the song writers at the end of the story, or is it just not allowed, or does no one care?

It's not like I'm doing this for profit, so copyright violation is questionable

Working on a story that has significant lyrics from two songs in one section. Is it sufficient to give credit to the song writers at the end of the story, or is it just not allowed, or does no one care?

We had a whole event about this.

My contribution was a Wolf Alice song called Your Love’s Whore.

Em

We had a whole event about this.

My contribution was a Wolf Alice song called Your Love’s Whore.

Em
My story is a coming of age story for a trans girl(no surprise, right?)
She's runs into a small band singing Irish folk tunes in The Old Ship Inn in Milford(sort of your neck of the woods)

They sing a song called My Mother's Savage Daughter
The lyrics are pretty strong if you're a girl who plays outside the lines...

Don't quote the whole song. Laurel has allowed up to 50% in the past, and yes, give credit either in context, or at the end of the story.

Don't assume everyone knows the songs, though.

I think it's important that at some point. You credit the songwriter....
It could be a forward, or foot note, but I think it's important to mention them.
I've used songs as themes for stories. I try to include the songwriter / singer into the story. That saves me having to write notes at the end...
Just a thought....

Cagivagurl

I think it's important that at some point. You credit the songwriter....
It could be a forward, or foot note, but I think it's important to mention them.
I've used songs as themes for stories. I try to include the songwriter / singer into the story. That saves me having to write notes at the end...
Just a thought....

Cagivagurl
Doesn’t quite work in the specific context. I currently have end notes which is not unusual for me.

It should fall under Fair Use, but the line between fair use and infringement is a bit murky. But as you are not publishing it for profit, as long as you don't use all of it or pass it off as your own work, you should be fine.

And from everything I have read about k.l. u. kahan (AKA Wyndreth Berginsdottir), she would probably applaud you.

It should fall under Fair Use, but the line between fair use and infringement is a bit murky. But as you are not publishing it for profit, as long as you don't use all of it or pass it off as your own work, you should be fine.

And from everything I have read about k.l. u. kahan (AKA Wyndreth Berginsdottir), she would probably applaud you.
Kind of think all young girls should be taught that song. Find your own voice. Color outside the lines.

It's a brilliant song. I have spent the last hour listening to Kahan's versions (solo and ensemble), as well as several covers. It lends itself to several different interpretations, from the quieter (usually guitar and one voice) to the brazen (I have been partial to the Roving Blades for a long time, and theirs is powerful).

It's a brilliant song. I have spent the last hour listening to Kahan's versions (solo and ensemble), as well as several covers. It lends itself to several different interpretations, from the quieter (usually guitar and one voice) to the brazen (I have been partial to the Roving Blades for a long time, and theirs is powerful).
I stumbled on it by accident. It is perfect for the spot in my story I needed it. Kismet, I guess.

I have often introduced whole song lyrics in stories. My intent is certainly not posting it as if it was my own, so... no copyright violation, I guess. So go ahead and put them in.

I have often introduced whole song lyrics in stories. My intent is certainly not posting it as if it was my own, so... no copyright violation, I guess. So go ahead and put them in.
I'm surprised Laurel let that pass - she's previously knocked back whole lyrics, but will let part of the song go through.

That's not how copyright works. There are two separate things here but people often get them confused.

If I make a copy of somebody else's copyrighted work and post it on my website available for download, that's copyright infringement even if I include a big disclaimer saying THIS IS NOT MY WORK. Indeed, if the copyright owner decides to sue me over it, that disclaimer will quite likely be used against me, because it's an admission that I'm distributing something I don't own.

Authors here often refer to "fair use" as justification for using copyrighted material like song lyrics in a story, but I'm not at all sure that the fair use doctrine would cover such use if the owners chose to make an issue of it. Especially if you're quoting the whole of a song because you want to evoke the mood or themes of the original song.

Passing somebody else's work off as your own is plagiarism. (Though it could also be copyright violation if you don't have permission.) Plagiarism is not necessarily illegal but widely considered unethical. Acknowledging the original creator protects you from accusations of plagiarism but doesn't help the copyright situation.

Literotica is relatively permissive about quoting things like lyrics, but I suspect a lot of the uses in stories here would be considered copyright violation if the rights owners cared enough to chase it. So far, they haven't shown interest.

IANAL, this is my lay understanding of copyright law. Lack of profit motive doesn't excuse copyright infringement. It could come into play in a penalty phase, but it doesn't provide an excuse.

As a rule, modern publishing holds that any use of song lyrics in literature without permission is copyright infringement (titles and artist/band names are fine). However, here in the world of Lit, Laurel tends to be more flexible than that. As mentioned, a few lines or supposedly up to 50% is normally okay here in Lit (although you'll not find that written down anywhere.) I've used a few lines of copyrighted lyrics in a couple of stories, and those are here, and I don't know if the Pogues would mind or not. But technically, they could make me take it down.

I've used plenty of public domain lyrics, but those are fine to use.

Unless the song's use is done as a parody, use in an erotic story isn't going to fall under fair use. Lack of profit motive again isn't definitive as an excuse.

If the mentioned artist doesn't care, that's their right. But that's their decision, should it ever come to anything.

That's not what copyright infringement is. Even if you credit the lyrics to the original creators, it's still infringement to use them without permission, unless your usage falls under fair use. And if it's in am erotic story, it won't fall under fair use.

But, as mentioned, Laurel accepts stories here with limited use of copyrighted lyrics. Whether any copyright holder has demanded any takedowns, I don't know.

I haven't put lyrics in any story here, but I havd in fanfics, and I have two stories written around lyrics, using them to write the story. But technically you can't use song lyrics, you can use titles, but not the lyrics. I'm thinking about if I ever do it again, I'm going to parody the song with synonyms. One of my fanfics has the characters dueting a mashup of Torn, that I think would be pretty cool to make in real life. He sings the Hands Like Houses version, and she sings the original Ednaswap version, while the band sorta switches between playing both versions chords and such.

That is all irrelevant here.

What is relevant is what Laurel will allow.

Portions of a complete song can be included, with the exact percentage being that which Laurel feels fits the context in which it is used in the story.

What is relevant is what Laurel will allow.
What Laurel allows and what the copyright holder allows are two totally different things, and the copyright holder outranks Laurel every time.

That copyright holders aren't trawling the site looking for infringement simply means that we are below their radar or they don't feel it's worth the effort/publicity to pursue.

What Laurel allows and what the copyright holder allows are two totally different things, and the copyright holder outranks Laurel every time.

That copyright holders aren't trawling the site looking for infringement simply means that we are below their radar or they don't feel it's worth the effort/publicity to pursue.
As long as your 2nd statement stays true, "what Laurel allows" remains what is relevant here. If that changes and an artist decides to pursue it, then it's a different story.

Yeah, you run with that, Dave.

In my last two posted stories, I begin by using some song lyrics in a prologue to set the tone and help set the reader's mind for the coming story. I copy a handful of the lyrics which fit the story, and I specify the name of the song with the artist and date at the end of the quoted lyrics.

In "The Maneater", I used some of the lyrics of the song "The Man-eater" by Hall & Oats, since the story is about a woman who sets out to control men and destroy those who disobey her. And the latest "Do We Need to Talk?" uses lyrics from "Shewolf" by Shakira, since it's about the husband recognizing his wife's need to step out.

When I looked up the issue of copyright infringement and "fair use", I found the caveat: "It often involves transformative use, where the work is repurposed in a new context."

So, I think the fair use rule would apply for limited use of the written lyrics in an erotic story, since it's transformed from the artist's audio work.

I cannot recall having used song lyrics within the body of any story I've written, partly because I didn't find a good use for them and partly out of copyright concerns. The use of song lyrics in an erotic story almost certainly would NOT be a fair use within the definition of "fair use" under US law, especially if a substantial portion of the lyrics is used.

I have, however, named one of my stories after a popular song. I named a mom-son incest story after Three Dog Night's "Mama Told Me Not To Come."

My contribution was a Wolf Alice song
Oh my god yes! Ellie's voice in their live "pool sessions" rendition of How can I make it OK sends shivers up my spine. Her song is balm for my soul 🥰 She hits this note at 4:18 that, I swear to god, if it was the last thing I heard in life, then I'd die blessed.

On topic: My last story included about 6 lines from a Nine Inch Nails song, Closer. The lines are the correct, literal lyrics, but I do not mention it's by NIN (the story's name is Nails though), only that it's sung by "Trent" (Reznor), and that it's industrial metal. It went through screening without issues.

Last edited:
Back