Star City- The Heroes of Tomorrow OOC

Then, yeah, it would take a longer exposure for them to exhibit greater levels of powers.

The length of required exposure varies depending on the continuity and/or the writer.

Sometimes a Kryptonian can just step out of their ship and be instantly cranked up to eleven. But in John Byrne's seminal "Man of Steel" miniseries after "Crisis on Infinite Earths," it took gradual exposure over the course of Clark's childhood and teenage years on Earth for him to become Super-powerful, hence no "Adventures of Superman When He Was A Boy" after Crisis. When the Post-Crisis Kara Zor-El arrived on Earth in the Batman/Superman comic (and the movie adaptation, "Apocalypse"), she had been soaking in simulated yellow sunlight for the duration of her long journey in suspended animation, so she had no lines no waiting. When Kon-El of the animated "Young Justice" first showed up, he had charged up with a solar suit for his force-grown cloning cycle of 16 weeks to get a limited level of power.

You see Clark's powers developing slowly on "Smallville," but Zod and his people were basically as powerful as Clark in the "Man of Steel" movie as soon as they rolled up to the curb. So there's no set gauge for this sort of thing.

But yeah, more often not there's some kind of charge-up period.

What series are you reading?

Bingo..

As a side note I'll also add (though many might scream) in the new 52 Superman also took awhile to get to full power. In fact in the now DC You as i believe they call it, he's currently powered down, and at one point was hurt by high calibur bullets. Wonder Woman had to remove the bullets in order for his body to heal up.

And just to add to what Chas said about Man of Steel, although the Kryptonians were at full power, it did take them awhile to adjust to what their bodies could do, hence why they were having issues with their senses and why Zod didn't figure out how to fly until the last half of their fight.

Bingo..

As a side note I'll also add (though many might scream) in the new 52 Superman also took awhile to get to full power. In fact in the now DC You as i believe they call it, he's currently powered down, and at one point was hurt by high calibur bullets. Wonder Woman had to remove the bullets in order for his body to heal up.

And just to add to what Chas said about Man of Steel, although the Kryptonians were at full power, it did take them awhile to adjust to what their bodies could do, hence why they were having issues with their senses and why Zod didn't figure out how to fly until the last half of their fight.

Didn't New 52 Superman develop a new power, a "solar flare" effect, and that's what's shorted out his powers?

...yeah, I imagine the learning curve for the MoS movie villains wouldn't have been nearly so sharp if their bodies had taken time to build up the power rather than immediately popping the needle from "E" to "F." So that's one instance in which their becoming instantly godlike worked, if briefly, to Clark's advantage.

In keeping with our theme of "Star City: The Soundtrack," I've been using song titles from Thirty Seconds to Mars as the post-titles for all my J'onn posts.

Check out the most recent song.

Could not be more appropriate, I'm kinda freaking out about it.

(The song title is a link to a music video with some equally eerily appropriate imagery.)

"Echelon," by 30 Seconds to Mars

Look at the red red changes in the sky
Look at the separation in the border line
But don't look at everything here inside
And be afraid, afraid to speak your mind

It took a moment before I lost myself in here
It took a moment and I could not be found?
Again and again and again and again I see your face in everything
It took a moment the moment it could not be found?

What's with the fascination with the Echelon
What's with the constant questions that you have this time
What's with this circumstancial consequence
Find oversight before this night will ever rise again
It's all you've got inside your head, better get up and leave instead

To find ourselves lost here within we need the reasons why
So we take this bridge with the other's that will thrive in the great divide

Didn't New 52 Superman develop a new power, a "solar flare" effect, and that's what's shorted out his powers?

...yeah, I imagine the learning curve for the MoS movie villains wouldn't have been nearly so sharp if their bodies had taken time to build up the power rather than immediately popping the needle from "E" to "F." So that's one instance in which their becoming instantly godlike worked, if briefly, to Clark's advantage.

When the new power developed, though I hate that name, yes it drained him. But within 24 hours he was back to his normal power level. But something happened to him during the last crossover event that they haven't revealed yet not only is he pissed at Lois for revealing his secret ID to the world, but it weakend him to the point that it's taking longer than normal for him to get back to full power. Supposedly they're going to reveal what that is soon. My money is on Lex having done something to him.

I think the whole thing with Smallville and MoS giving him fully power Kryptonians to fight is because otherwise any Kryptonians (on Earth for the first time) he confronts would be at a disadvantage. Essentially it's the writers trying to have their cake and eat it to.

In keeping with our theme of "Star City: The Soundtrack," I've been using song titles from Thirty Seconds to Mars as the post-titles for all my J'onn posts.

(The song title is a link to a music video with some equally eerily appropriate imagery.)

nice beat to it as well.... I like it

Wow. You know, I've been reading through our story here for a couple hours and listening to the songs we've chosen as soundtrack. I almost have shivers.

Do you guys feel that too? I mean we've made some amateur mistakes and it's a little broken up but we're writing some very powerful stuff here. This is epicly good writing. If we cleaned it up and made it mesh a little more, this could be one HELL of a series of graphic novels.

Wow. You know, I've been reading through our story here for a couple hours and listening to the songs we've chosen as soundtrack. I almost have shivers.

Do you guys feel that too? I mean we've made some amateur mistakes and it's a little broken up but we're writing some very powerful stuff here. This is epicly good writing. If we cleaned it up and made it mesh a little more, this could be one HELL of a series of graphic novels.

...or a TV show coming this fall/winter season to a CW near you. :D

tis what has inspired me of late. Right now listening to Hans Zimmerman. I just say his name because it's a play list of his various works. Currently the "The Now We are Free" from Gladiator.

Although, Nev, I can't help but be curious--

--what do you see as our mistakes?

Something we can fix, or avoid in future?

Although, Nev, I can't help but be curious--

--what do you see as our mistakes?

Something we can fix, or avoid in future?

Not mistakes, per se, more like inevitable results of the format. We're posting in a shared creative writing thread on a message board and of course sometimes there have been gaps in time between posts (not all of us have rolodex brains like yours) so there are some formatting issues and inconsistencies that would interrupt the flow if we were to try and take it and turn it into a book.

But nothing a good editor couldn't fix.

Savior

Capricorn

Last edited:
Not mistakes, per se, more like inevitable results of the format. We're posting in a shared creative writing thread on a message board and of course sometimes there have been gaps in time between posts (not all of us have rolodex brains like yours) so there are some formatting issues and inconsistencies that would interrupt the flow if we were to try and take it and turn it into a book.

But nothing a good editor couldn't fix.

Savior

Capricorn

Yeah, those do sound like inevitable snafus given the medium. Even though I'm really obsessed with continuity, I've made those kinds of mix-ups myself I'm sure, repeated phrases or that sort of thing.

It's kind of hilarious that you describe my brain as being like a Rolodex, because honestly, that's an apt comparison. It's basically just keywords and Google-fu, and I use the Internet for external storage. (I think the Martian term for it is "neural orchards.")

Of those two songs, I prefer "Savior" musically, but "Capricorn (A Brand New Name)" sounds more like the process that Jaime's undergone and undergoing.

Hey Chas, I've been looking for more information about the abilities of Scavulture and not finding much. You able to give me a better idea of his abilities? I just assumed that the force field might save Jaime's life but not stop the full blast.

And you know, objects in motion...

There really isn't much.

Scavulture appeared in one issue of The Amalgam Universe-- "Spider-Boy Team-Up," where Spider-Boy teams up with The Legion of Galactic Guardians 2099. Basically, he flies, zaps people with his Evil Eye, and uses The Neuron-Claw to contaminate future Spider-Boy, Mig-El.

But because I'm familiar with The Vulture and The Scavenger, Scavulture's two "halves," I've been able to extrapolate some headcanons. The mystical arsenal, the teleportation, the moonbase, all of this is derived from The Scavenger, a pre-New 52 Superboy villain.

Your idea of blocking part of the beam but not all of it (because magic) was perfectly valid, as was not just crashing to the ground--

--but don't worry overmuch, Scavulture's powerset won't be problematic for very much longer.

I'm having almost as much fun coming up with songs for the posts as I am writing the posts themselves. And a chance to write a great one liner was perfect!

I'm having almost as much fun coming up with songs for the posts as I am writing the posts themselves. And a chance to write a great one liner was perfect!

That was a pretty bad-ass one-liner!

Grant secretly enjoys engaging in ironic banter, it plays nicely into his tendency to taunt.

That was a pretty bad-ass one-liner!

Grant secretly enjoys engaging in ironic banter, it plays nicely into his tendency to taunt.

I couldn't resist. I read what you posted and was like; "Seriously? Who says that kind of thing and doesn't deserve a butt kicking?"

I couldn't resist. I read what you posted and was like; "Seriously? Who says that kind of thing and doesn't deserve a butt kicking?"

See, Rose has always been a very meta character, because I'm a very meta writer. All this lampshading and nodwinking to conventions of the genre.

Sometimes she gets that from her dad. For instance, in this world it's Chris Grant-- who is just so amused that supervillains are supposed to talk like this, and loves that talking like that gets to the superheroes in such a way as to facilitate matters.

"Saying something pithy might get this one to stop and fight me instead of helping their teammates? Bravo, I'll say something pithy then."

Hey, Nevyn?

I'm rewatching episodes of "Young Justice," and Khaji Da finds Apokoliptian technology and transmissions very upsetting, says it's "not compatible." In contrast, New Genesis tech seems to be... soothing. Would this also be true of your Khaji?

Hey, Nevyn?

I'm rewatching episodes of "Young Justice," and Khaji Da finds Apokoliptian technology and transmissions very upsetting, says it's "not compatible." In contrast, New Genesis tech seems to be... soothing. Would this also be true of your Khaji?

*opens mouth, then closes it* I need to watch that episode.

I don't know. Let me do some research and think about it.

Back