Sex & Shenanigans

What's the best sitcom if not AD?

The density of funny. The creativity of the storyline and characters in the show. The perfect casting. All the call backs. The sheer wit and execution of everything...

There's lots of really great, funny, smart sitcoms out there, but there's just no other show that is so creatively unhinged and well executed as AD.
The Good Place for me, off the top of my head. So incredibly intelligent, well written, controlled, incredibly well run, amazing cast, and hilarious writing and acting. No bad seasons, few weak episodes, trusts the audience, and deals with complex philosophical issues in an easy to access manner. Brilliant forking show.

Last edited:

The density of funny. The creativity of the storyline and characters in the show. The perfect casting. All the call backs. The sheer wit and execution of everything...

There's lots of really great, funny, smart sitcoms out there, but there's just no other show that is so creatively unhinged and well executed as AD.
I hope you're only referring to the first 3 seasons. The 4th and 5th seasons weren't total trainwrecks, but there was a marked downgrade in quality.
Likewise, I'd put Parks and Rec in the running for best sitcom, if not for the wobbly 1st season before it found its footing.
Best sitcom start to finish has to be Schitt's Creek for me.

The Good Place for me, off the top of my head. So incredibly intelligent, well written, controlled, incredibly well run, amazing cas, and hilarious writing and acting. No bad seasons, few weak episodes, trusts the audience, and deals with complex philosophical issues in an easy to access manner. Brilliant forking show.
I liked The Good Place. It had an interesting story line but was not as funny as AD for me.

I hope you're only referring to the first 3 seasons. The 4th and 5th seasons weren't total trainwrecks, but there was a marked downgrade in quality.
Likewise, I'd put Parks and Rec in the running for best sitcom, if not for the wobbly 1st season before it found its footing.
Yes. First three seasons. It was hard for me to watch the newer seasons because I had such a high expectations and it was a let down.

Id say Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, Schitts Creek, Big Bang, and Modern Family round out the rest of my favorites. I think those shows are at times just as funny and witty as AD but none of them have as many different and interesting characters and story lines as AD. AD had a unqiue irrelevant madness that I really enjoyed with horrible characters that are somehow all actually likeable in a way.

Schitt’s Creek is too perfect a show for me to consider it a sit-com.

What  do you think is the greatest sitcom?
As stated I think all such lists are fundamentally flawed and fluid.

I think it’s impossible to deny there sheer social force that has been the Simpsons for decades. I have NOT watched the Simpsons for far longer than I DID watch it and it’s still probably the single greatest source of jokes and references in my brains. S3-S8 were fucking brilliant. I also really liked Futurama a lot.

Currently I think I also prefer IASIP. But I sorta feel like it should have ended with Mac’s dance.

@Indie is trying to get me to watch this but it’s difficult to overstate how much I hate laugh tracks.

jaime-french-jamie-french.gif
🥰🥰🥰

I think it’s impossible to deny there sheer social force that has been the Simpsons for decades. I have NOT watched the Simpsons for far longer than I DID watch it and it’s still probably the single greatest source of jokes and references in my brains. S3-S8 were fucking brilliant. I also really liked Futurama a lot.

Currently I think I also prefer IASIP. But I sorta feel like it should have ended with Mac’s dance.
That's when I stopped watching. But I want to pick it back up.

Which is why I usually try to phrase it as "favorite"(or in this case, "what do you consider the best" vs "best." There is reasons to discuss why something is your favorite, and why something misses for you. "Best" is too subjective, and all opinions hold the same weight and validity: whatever makes your sick little heart happy, just like everyone else.

Which is why I usually try to phrase it as "favorite"(or in this case, "what do you consider the best" vs "best." There is reasons to discuss why something is your favorite, and why something misses for you. "Best" is too subjective, and all opinions hold the same weight and validity: whatever makes your sick little heart happy, just like everyone else.
Even favorites can changes from day to day or month to month depending on mood or recency etc. Hierarchies are all flawed.

I really struggled to like the characters in Always Sunny so I couldnt enjoy it as much
That was where I was. I wanted to like it, I just couldn't. It was as if they said Seinfield's characters are mostly unlikeable, what if we made characters who were utterly reprehensible? And I can do that in a movie, for 120 minutes, but not in a long-term commitment like a sitcom. But what was worse for me was the incredible overacting. Like SNL levels of overacting. I wanted to be one of the cool kids, full of cynicism and bile, but I would rather watch reruns of The Adams Family. I'm Basic.

Even favorites can changes from day to day or month to month depending on mood or recency etc. Hierarchies are all flawed.
Well, then you have to take it down to seasons sometimes. I think the first seven to eleven seasons of the Simpsons were brilliant, smart, and hilarious. The next...175 years or whatever it is now...not so much.

Edit: and you covered the Simpsons, heh. Teach me to skim...

Last edited:

I've seen a lot of Sunny but it makes me literally cringe and have anxiety sometimes at how horrible they all are. Lol.

I just think the comedic genius of AD cannot be beat. The timing of the actors, the witty dry humor, and the intelligence of the writing - to me will always hit a little different than other sitcoms.

I do absolutely agree though that lists like that are fluid and changing.

I've seen a lot of Sunny but it makes me literally cringe and have anxiety sometimes at how horrible they all are. Lol.

I just think the comedic genius of AD cannot be beat. The timing of the actors, the witty dry humor, and the intelligence of the writing - to me will always hit a little different than other sitcoms.

I do absolutely agree though that lists like that are fluid and changing.
Don’t dosageee with any of this. I think my biggest argument against AD is that is has too strong of a narrative for me? My ideal sitcoms let me just drop in and out on random episodes and laugh at what’s there. AD’s a slightly different beast. Very good but different.

And yes the cringe is real. I’d also include the Office in my list and that’s pure cringe also.

Back