published Kindle

MothersBottom

Virgin
new here, forgive me. The site is so big I can't find the answer to what must be a common query. I just published an erotica book on amazon Kindle and wanted to let members know, as they can read the first chapter there, but I don't want to break the rules here and self publicize if it's not allowed or not in the right forum. I'd also like to publish stuff here to get the sort of feedback you can't get unless you get reviews at places like Amazon. Thanks!

The content guidelines probably answer your question. Specifically, Literotica does not permit "[t]easers, partial works, excerpts of offsite works, or any work that appears to be a promotion for other platforms." If your book is for sale on Amazon, you should not publish it here unless you're planning to make the entire thing available here. There might be a loophole going the other way, where you publish a story here and then add supplementary content to it for publishing elsewhere, I'm not sure if anyone's tried that.
The site does allow you to create a "support author" link on your stories, which can direct readers to Amazon, among other sites. If you have other work to publish here, it could be used to direct interested readers to your for-sale works, but in order to avoid the impression of impropriety, you should probably make anything you place here on the site a complete, standalone work, even if it's just a relatively short story.
Of course, if you were referring only to the forums and not the story-side of the site, pretty much anything goes in terms of self-promotion here. That constitutes 90% of what some people comment about anyway. ;)

The content guidelines probably answer your question. Specifically, Literotica does not permit "[t]easers, partial works, excerpts of offsite works, or any work that appears to be a promotion for other platforms." If your book is for sale on Amazon, you should not publish it here unless you're planning to make the entire thing available here. There might be a loophole going the other way, where you publish a story here and then add supplementary content to it for publishing elsewhere, I'm not sure if anyone's tried that.
The site does allow you to create a "support author" link on your stories, which can direct readers to Amazon, among other sites. If you have other work to publish here, it could be used to direct interested readers to your for-sale works, but in order to avoid the impression of impropriety, you should probably make anything you place here on the site a complete, standalone work, even if it's just a relatively short story.
Of course, if you were referring only to the forums and not the story-side of the site, pretty much anything goes in terms of self-promotion here. That constitutes 90% of what some people comment about anyway. ;)
"Of course, if you were referring only to the forums and not the story-side of the site, pretty much anything goes in terms of self-promotion here. "
I don't understand this at all. So in the forums I can promote my book by linking to it up at amazon? If so, what forum, or sub forum? Thanks!

"Of course, if you were referring only to the forums and not the story-side of the site, pretty much anything goes in terms of self-promotion here. "
I don't understand this at all. So in the forums I can promote my book by linking to it up at amazon? If so, what forum, or sub forum? Thanks!
The General Board would probably be the most appropriate place, or you obviously do a post like this. But keep in mind that a very small percentage of Literotica users ever visit the forums, so it's not exactly likely to drive sales, and probably not many people read every thread. If the only thing you post are essentially ads, don't expect a lot of positive engagement.
On your profile you can add a signature line... mine simply has a joke in it. Others use it to add links to their works on the site, and a few also have links to their works elsewhere. If you intend to become a regular commenter here, the signature will appear on any post you make.
Oh, and I see there is already a thread for it, thanks @djrip, that's not one I ever looked at, despite it being stickied.

new here, forgive me. The site is so big I can't find the answer to what must be a common query. I just published an erotica book on amazon Kindle and wanted to let members know, as they can read the first chapter there, but I don't want to break the rules here and self publicize if it's not allowed or not in the right forum. I'd also like to publish stuff here to get the sort of feedback you can't get unless you get reviews at places like Amazon. Thanks!
What’s the book about? I love reading, especially all the spicy books on Kindle, so I’d be interested in learning more.

If you have content here on Lit, the site allows you links in your Profile and in your Signature Block to an off-site book store.

There's also a thread which allows Lit writers to promote off-site content (see djrip's post above).

But that's it. Basically, the site doesn't like being used to advertise content elsewhere, but it does allow the basics.

The site does NOT allow a teaser chapter here, with the rest behind a paywall. That will get taken down (if it's found out).

My stuff is generally episodic, in such a way that each chapter is HFN/HEA and could stand alone as short 1500 to 6000 word pieces. I'd ideally like to be able to post episodes like that in order to get feedback and to see if it feels right to try to publish entire stories here, or try to make money selling them as ebooks

The General Board would probably be the most appropriate place, or you obviously do a post like this.
No.

The site has one thread which allows writers here promote books, and that's it. General promotion threads, as you're suggesting, aren't allowed.

You might want to familiarise yourself more with the FAQs, just sayin'.

All of this type of stuff is covered, or there are old hands who know for sure :).

What’s the book about? I love reading, especially all the spicy books on Kindle, so I’d be interested in learning more.
if you click on the link in my signature that takes you to my first book. That one is perhaps a one-off, with the humor and victorian aspect. My others are either mature women/older women, or tgirls. My two big kinks

My stuff is generally episodic, in such a way that each chapter is HFN/HEA and could stand alone as short 1500 to 6000 word pieces. I'd ideally like to be able to post episodes like that in order to get feedback and to see if it feels right to try to publish entire stories here, or try to make money selling them as ebooks
Unless you're prepared to get on the hamster wheel and churn out content regularly, forget about making money from e-books. There are a few writers here who pay bills selling erotica, but not many.

The one thing that separates those guys from the rest of us is the sheer volume of their content, and their ability to keep it up.

No.

The site has one thread which allows writers here promote books, and that's it. General promotion threads, as you're suggesting, aren't allowed.

You might want to familiarise yourself more with the FAQs, just sayin'.

All of this type of stuff is covered, or there are old hands who know for sure :).
Maybe they should put a nice prominent link to Forum FAQs somewhere on the frame, if they'd like people to easily find answers to their questions. Just sayin'.
While we're on the topic, I'm unsure why the links in your signature are fundamentally different from the OP putting a link to Amazon in their own signature. Apologies if your comment was not the one that encouraged the OP to remove the link they apparently briefly had in their signature, as perhaps someone PMed them. These threads can get confusing with everyone talking all at once.

Maybe they should put a nice prominent link to Forum FAQs somewhere on the frame, if they'd like people to easily find answers to their questions. Just sayin'.
While we're on the topic, I'm unsure why the links in your signature are fundamentally different from the OP putting a link to Amazon in their own signature. Apologies if your comment was not the one that encouraged the OP to remove the link they apparently briefly had in their signature, as perhaps some PMed them. These threads can get confusing with everyone talking all at once.
I think old hands here don't realize just how confusing this site is. There's a LOT here, and evidently a lot of overlap. You'd think they'd get tired of people asking the same or very similar questions.
I am not yet published here, so thats why i removed the link in my signature. If you are published here, you can. Or am i jumping to conclusions from the first answer i was given? There's a lot of contradictory advice here.

ok links removed from my signature per the advice of a commenter here
I thought he said the signature was one of the few spots where it was ok. There, your profile, and the thread I linked, are the three main places, i believe.

I think old hands here don't realize just how confusing this site is. There's a LOT here, and evidently a lot of overlap. You'd think they'd get tired of people asking the same or very similar questions.
I am not yet published here, so thats why i removed the link in my signature. If you are published here, you can. Or am i jumping to conclusions from the first answer i was given? There's a lot of contradictory advice here.
Oh I see. I think, but am not sure, that the requirement to be published here only applies to the promotion thread, not your signature or profile, but eb probably knows for sure.

I don't think there is anything preventing you from having the link in your signature, regardless of what you have available on the story side (if anything). The forums and the stories are sort of... "non-overlapping magisteria," to quote a lover of bafflegab.

Last edited:
oh, so it's as clear as mud then. At least the signature is discreet, and not taking up a page or so of scroll with a self promotion blurb from me. I will put it back on, until such time as Literotica themselves tell me not to. Thanks!

oh, so it's as clear as mud then. At least the signature is discreet, and not taking up a page or so of scroll with a self promotion blurb from me. I will put it back on, until such time as Literotica themselves tell me not to. Thanks!
This place is kind of like the frontier. People get away with stuff that's against the rules, because not many people pay close attention to the rules in the first place (even when they can find them!), there's not a lot of enforcement, and what enforcement does happen is usually because a reader complains and draws the attention of the mods. Which then inevitably results in a lot of grumbling about selective enforcement, because there's too much activity at any given time for one or a small number of people to actively monitor it, so only the stuff that rankles someone enough to complain tends to get dealt with.

Welcome to Mudville! Remember to wipe your feet.

While we're on the topic, I'm unsure why the links in your signature are fundamentally different from the OP putting a link to Amazon in their own signature. Apologies if your comment was not the one that encouraged the OP to remove the link they apparently briefly had in their signature, as perhaps someone PMed them. These threads can get confusing with everyone talking all at once.
No, not my comment. The OP is allowed a Sig Block link, so whoever said what they said, gave bad advice.

I've actually turned all the Sig Blocks off in my Forum feed view, because I got tired of seeing all the flashing lights and dodgy book covers cluttering up my page - I think mine at least are just simple links.

The FAQs are easy enough to find - but some people don't seem to make much effort to find them. You just gotta know where to look!

Thanks! Oh, I'd want to participate here with the right spirit, and not breaking rules egregiously. That's why I asked my initial question. I love erotic fiction, although you do have to wade through a lot of unimaginative and poorly written stuff before you find anything good. I've seen that said about this site. I'd want too be contributing signal, and not noise

No, not my comment. The OP is allowed a Sig Block link, so whoever said what they said, gave bad advice.

I've actually turned all the Sig Blocks off in my Forum feed view, because I got tired of seeing all the flashing lights and dodgy book covers cluttering up my page - I think mine at least are just simple links.

The FAQs are easy enough to find - but some people don't seem to make much effort to find them. You just gotta know where to look!
Yeah. For future reference for those that don't already know where to look, especially for people with bad eyes like me, there's a tiny little link at the bottom of the page that says "Terms and Rules," which does in fact link to the FAQ for the Forum specifically. So yay for learning, I guess. I can barely see it, although my own browser settings are likely at least partially to blame for that.

Yeah. For future reference for those that don't already know where to look, especially for people with bad eyes like me, there's a tiny little link at the bottom of the page that says "Terms and Rules," which does in fact link to the FAQ for the Forum specifically. So yay for learning, I guess. I can barely see it, although my own browser settings are likely at least partially to blame for that.
a tiny little link indeed! That is where the faq's are??? No wonder nobody knows them

a tiny little link indeed! That is where the faq's are??? No wonder nobody knows them
lotr-keep-it-safe.gif

Back