published Kindle

This is the second page on the site

FAQs aren't that hard to find.
"Second page" is variable. The Bulletin Board link from the index page takes you directly to the forums, which do not have a comparable FAQ section prominently displayed, nor on any of the header links. The FAQs aren't hard to find, but they could be easier, especially for a newbie who happens to bypass the story side of the site and all the helpful links placed there.

"Second page" is variable. The Bulletin Board link from the index page takes you directly to the forums, which do not have a comparable FAQ section prominently displayed, nor on any of the header links. The FAQs aren't hard to find, but they could be easier, especially for a newbie who happens to bypass the story side of the site and all the helpful links placed there.
FAQ's should be a prominent link at the top (and maybe bottom) of every page at a site like this, which has lots of people using it for lots of different purposes. As it is currently you have to go hunting for it. I can only imagine that admin'ing this site for any length of time must be draining. By the looks of it, a lot of work must have gone into those faq pages. They are going to waste if a newbie can't find them, like I couldn't, not least because I went straight for this forum, where there is no apparent link to the faq's, (except the very tiny text.)

Fair comment. I've always been "writer side" not "forum side", but even so, I found everything worth finding in my first few hours on the site. But then, in my day job, I know that an "expert" is the guy who's one page ahead of you in the instruction manual, so I should be used to it by now.

Not least because I went straight for this forum, where there is no apparent link to the faq's, (except the very tiny text.)
This forum acts as an adjunct to the FAQs.

Ask any question here seeking information, and someone will have the answer.

Ask for an opinion and you'll get dozens. Never confuse the two concepts, they're completely different things.

Yeah. For future reference for those that don't already know where to look, especially for people with bad eyes like me, there's a tiny little link at the bottom of the page that says "Terms and Rules," which does in fact link to the FAQ for the Forum specifically. So yay for learning, I guess. I can barely see it, although my own browser settings are likely at least partially to blame for that.
Says the person with some of the tiniest fonts on the forum.

Says the person with some of the tiniest fonts on the forum.
?? My font size is whatever the default is, except where I was making the joke. Maybe it's your own settings? I like the Book Antiqua font, but on my machine it renders the same size as the default font. The letters are a little skinnier, maybe, but at least for me they're no smaller overall. 🤷‍♀️

?? My font size is whatever the default is, except where I was making the joke. Maybe it's your own settings? I like the Book Antiqua font, but on my machine it renders the same size as the default font. The letters are a little skinnier, maybe, but at least for me they're no smaller overall. 🤷‍♀️
I obviously can't see what you see on your screen, but here is what I, and I assume most others see. You can compare how much smaller your font point size looks compared to the system default. I can understand your font preference, but sans-serif fonts are always goint to be easier to read for most people than serif fonts, especially at smaller point sizes.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 14-04-45 published Kindle.png

I obviously can't see what you see on your screen, but here is what I, and I assume most others see. You can compare how much smaller your font point size looks compared to the system default. I can understand your font preference, but sans-serif fonts are always goint to be easier to read for most people than serif fonts, especially at smaller point sizes.

View attachment 2271749

Speaking as someone who has designed fonts and was immersed in that world for years, I can tell you: sans-serif fonts are NOT always going to be easier to read for most people than serif fonts, especially at smaller point sizes. The serifs are there to make the characters more legible. They reinforce the baseline, and the top of the lower case, helping guide the eye along the line of text. Plus they make word shapes more distinctive, so that, for example, in the the case above, you can recognize words without having to discern each letter. Sans serif are good for headlines and larger sizes

Last edited:

View attachment 2271749
Two points aside from the serif stuff.
First, quotes are always at least one step down in size from the original post, so a direct comparison of the quote and your post is pretty much exactly what one would expect.
Secondly, that is vastly different than what I see. Some experimenting tells me that you are using 'classic style' compared to 'modern style.' I have no way of knowing which is more popular at the moment.

I am leaving this sentence in the default font for a true side by side comparison. If there's still a significant size difference, it may have something to do with classic versus modern.

View attachment 2271749
Easy man, size isn't everything. :p

Back