OOC for THE AFFAIRS OF KAITAIN: A Role-Play of Dune

Lead! That's it? House Marius wealth and status is based on lead? Rather a base element.

Well KaseE I hope I have given you a sufficient opening to post your first salvo. We may be a little bit in front of the others and discovering things a little faster but they can time skip to catch up or something else so we can all merge together again. Even Leanna can post with us if she wishes. That get's everyone involved.

Okay. I'm in!

Lead! That's it? House Marius wealth and status is based on lead? Rather a base element.

Lead is just the beginning....

The Planet Molyvis

5241planet.jpeg

• Population: 812,072,000.
  • Capital: Volida.
  • Ruling House: Marìus.
  • Major Exports: Minerals; Rare Earths; Exotic Ceramics.

Josephine fully agreed with the salary, benefits, and bonuses Pathir offered Joab to become her local Warmaster. She cringed inwardly, however, upon hearing Pathir’s generous offer of service and disability pay for troopers, but she understood his reasoning. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Besides, she could afford it.
While not as wealthy as Arrakis, her planet Molyvis produced sufficient exports of exotic minerals and rare earths, and many products thereof, to make House Marìus the envy of most of its peers.

Growing up, she had studied the tactics of the most successful Great Houses in securing obedience. As examples, House Corrino relied on force, Harkonnen on fear, and Atreides on fairness. She hoped finances would prove likewise effective.

What's the climate like?

Rare earths used in electronics, Heighliners, Ixian and Richesse devices.

This a rich thread that needs good writers. I am enjoying the fact that people are stepping up. Is there and banquet or ball where everyone can sit down and talk together?

On an unrelated note I've been thinking of doing a simple war game called Captains & Castles. Simply acquiring territories and building castles. Some degree of magic. Done this in the past with varying degrees of success. The idea is when wargames end we have roleplay. The problem is most wargames lend well to that and most roleplay games can't handle the increased scope of the game. We'll see....

Jawn you get a post in that syncs the three of us the next day at the Embassy. Countess is awake in her room and Pathir in her office.

Aussie have you posted a residence. You could be staying in the Opal Palace. If you are an aristocratic type. ...on a higher level, quarters for the generally ignored-but-tolerated string of aristocratic visitors with suits, petitions, diplomatic errands, and the like.

Two rooms? The Great Audience Chamber were everyone hangs out while waiting to be called into the Imperial Selamlik. Apparently it can take multiple trips to court depending on how important the Emperor or his officials feels the matter is. Lesser types seem to not get inside the Audience Chamber and must hangout in the exterior courtyards (?).

So many lesser beggars waited out of doors while a lot of first-class outsiders took their turns at being summoned at an appointment. All, however, craved permission to enter the Imperial Selamlik, to pass beyond the plasteel and marble doors, under the sculptured arches with the Imperial legend, "Law is the ultimate science," past the captive banners of the defeated Great Houses, to stand within ten to twenty feet of the Imperial Golden Lion Throne, in the presence, finally, of the Power itself.

The great audience hall would be crowded with the Imperial bodyguards, courtiers, noukkers, concubines, eunuchs, pages, slaves, hangers-on and the Bene Gesserit, but still with only a fraction of those who clamored to get in; the audiences would seem endless, but would accommodate only a few petitioners out of the many who waited. The Padishah Emperor, dressed in a dark gray Sardaukar uniform with only the golden Imperial lion crest on the helm to indicate his position — to indicate, if such a blatant reminder were necessary, exactly where the Imperial power lay — would listen as each petitioner stated his name and case in almost the identical words, the formulae having been established through the ancient usage: "I, a Duke of a Great House, an Imperial kinsman, give my word of bond under the Convention..."

I'm getting the impression from the Countess' pics her attire is based on some sort of traditional miners gear or a survival suit of some sort. Like stillsuits were copied in fashion after the Atreides and Fremen took over.

Still curious as to whether or not Molyvius is an ice planet not unlike some of the Ordos planets. Looks like one from the pic. Almost looks like impact craters on an icy surface in places. Not really the deep blue of Terran seas.

Jawn you get a post in that syncs the three of us the next day at the Embassy. Countess is awake in her room and Pathir in her office.

Yes I went to the offices.....when that is exactly is open. Just wanted to show I'm ready willing and waiting. Sorry should have been more clear in my brief post, but thanks for looking out.

Thought for awhile the story had stalled. Rabid Dune fan. Hope I don't become too annoying in trying to push it along.

I'm getting the impression from the Countess' pics her attire is based on some sort of traditional miners gear or a survival suit of some sort. Like stillsuits were copied in fashion after the Atreides and Fremen took over.

Still curious as to whether or not Molyvius is an ice planet not unlike some of the Ordos planets. Looks like one from the pic. Almost looks like impact craters on an icy surface in places. Not really the deep blue of Terran seas.

I had not originally pictured it as an ice planet, but I see your point.

Let's say so, with the vast majority of the population living deep in the rocky crust beneath, in the ancient tunnels of played-out mines.

And I agree with you observation about her attire. I had always thought of it that way.

Hoping KaseE and Aussie still with us. The jump to the next day might have left them behind. If still here anyway you two can arrange a quick catchup.

Lots of one on one conversations require lots of quick posting and replies. Paraphrasing and synopsis of conversations to catch up, maybe.

Fingers crossed!

Going north fishing for two weeks on Wednesday. Hope you can work around that. Drag me along and run me as an NPC if you wish.

Last edited:
I'm still here, but without a reply from KaseE I am pretty much in limbo. I will rejoin once the Empress gets to court though and if needs be make up some information to pass along to her to try to integrate myself into her company.

I've never understood that....I've had it happen several times over the years. People have all kinds of interest and they don't just bail on your thread but disappear from Lit.

Hmm leaves me in limbo. I am going to assume facts not in evidence (LOL) and just make up things I have learned from her about would be suitors for you. I will be ready for you once you reach the palace and have presented yourself to the emperor.

Aussie can you explain what you are talking about in your conversation with the Princess. I'm totally confused. Does it have some bearing on the storyline? And you need to edit you call her Countess.

Aussie can you explain what you are talking about in your conversation with the Princess. I'm totally confused. Does it have some bearing on the storyline? And you need to edit you call her Countess.

Whoops will edit that. Okay My thinking on the subject was (when I started it) that to give KaseE and myself something to discuss while waiting for you three to arrive at the Palace, I would ask about likely Suitors the God Emperor would make Josephine marry. That way I could go to her with not only information about the assassination plot on her home world, but information on all the men vying for her hand.

Maybe I have got details wrong about the concubines, (I will admit I was not sure about that) but basically I was thinking all concubines would gather together and gossip would happen. With the princesses access to this inner circle she might have heard of the behavior of these men and be able to inform me of it.

The God Emperor was Leto II. Many years in the future. The current emperor is just plain Emperor Elrood IX. The Padishah Emperor Elrood Corrino IX.

Elrood Corrino IX
Shaddam Corrino
Paul Atreides
Leto Atreides II the God Emperor

Okay right. Post has been edited and new things added to hopefully make it clearer what his intentions were.

Last edited:
Having a tiff with Jawn. Sorry bailing on the thread. And I am so sorry. Was truly hoping this thread would work. My apologies.

Back