THE AFFAIRS OF KAITAIN: A Role-Play of Dune

Harmon walked out of the meeting with My'Nard surprisingly early and with a lot of information. The boy had been a spice field. He had been present when his father had entertained a large contingent of important guests a week ago and his father had even insisted that he be present during all their meetings. It seemed as if the old man was trying to groom him to step into his shoes in court and wanted him to learn the ropes so to speak. Harmon laughed at the idea of course. The very idea of My'Nard doing anything serious at court was a joke. The poor boy was out of his depth handling a simple exchange between himself and a courtesan let alone an ambassador.

Still because of this Harmon learned that the Emperor was thinking of taking a personal interest in the case of Countess Josephine's claim. He had assigned a minor member of his own family as the Judge advocate and he was supposed to keep him informed via intermediaries of course of the proceedings. If her claim looked too weak he was either going to marry her off or just take her planet all together, although the feeling was marriage was the more likely option.

All ready they were planning just who to present from their own houses as candidates and making secret deals to divide up the wealth of the place. Harmon needed to use this information wisely. The names they were suggesting were in fact good and any one of them could be selected by the Emperor. The Countess's position was not lost though, she still had a lot of options.

All she had to do was make her house look strong and with his help she could. Also by marrying herself she could take that option off the table, but doing that too early could convince the Emperor to just take her planet, the timing had to be right.

Harmon strode through the palace back to his own rooms. He had plans to make and operations to put into action. He would need information and supplies before he could make any moves.

In a Tough Position

“I seem to be caught in an undeclared assassins’ war,” Josephine growled. “Pathir, here, will manage grand strategy — which requires the right balance of politics, diplomacy, and force — and oversee intelligence. What we need to assist in that is a master tactician, someone to plan and command any raids needed to gain that ‘intelligence’ or assert that ‘force,’ together with someone to reorganize and strengthen my security and defenses here on Kaitain and, ultimately, back on Molyvis. Are you, Joab, the right man for that job?”

"M'lady you have me at an interesting time in my life. With few resources and no house I am more open to offers then I might have been in the past. This openness is simply to save your associates the effort of gathering intelligence. I don't wish to continue paying rent in the capital and my only tactical exercises to be that of wargames and martial arts training."

"You need your situation resolved and you don't need to hear about my issues. I am more then capable of handling your security and raids would be an exciting distraction. The fact is that the grand strategy will be figured out on the dinning room table, but tactically it will play out in dark alleys and smokey rooms. I doubt we will ever find a clear path to the corridors of power. Such games are meant to insulate those in power."

"I think my first order of business would be to assemble a ceremonial guard for you at court to show your power and splendor. That of course will only be it's outward appearance. Behind the pressed uniforms and shining swords would be a formidable strike force loyal and dedicated to your protection. The next assassin will be butchered or at the very least reveal all before we end his life."

"Though this current situation would facilitate you forming your own assassination training program. Perhaps even taking a companion that could protect you while still fitting in at court."

Personally the Countess Twisted-Mentat is not impressed with the honesty and openness expressed by Joab about his current financial situation. But a military leader willing to admit to shortcomings is a good thing. Joab does appear confident and has a business like attitude Pathir can respect.

With an eye on costs as well, Pathir speaks up, "The bodyguard would have to be small." "The Sardaukar will not tolerate much beyond a small ceremonial guard in the palace."

With an eye to treachery as well, Pathir adds, "I have a couple of experts in the alleyways of Corinth who will join your strikeforce and coach your troopers in the finer details of theft and muggings." "I doubt either has ever held a proper sword in his hand. But you will also find that being untrained in shield fighting they possess no unwanted conditionings concerning fast on defence and slow on attack. They are murderous with just a knife and can wield a sap like they were born to it."

Not that Pathir distrusts Joab for any reason. He just knows anyone can be bought. Even himself. But if the Countess enemies are able to suborn 'both' her Mentat and Warmaster here on Kaitain, well... 'When God hath ordained a creature to die in a particular place, He causeth that creature's wants to direct him to that place'. If Joab's expert swordsman are to be behind Pathir at anytime, it is only fitting that he have some eyes and ears within the strikeforce. If anything their untimely deaths will sound an alarm for the Twisted-Mentat.

"Any prisoners taken will be interrogated by me or at least with me present. A Mentat prefers their information first hand from the source if possible. Probablity computations of truthfullness are much easier to make when looking in someone's eyes just before their throats are cut."

"My training has also given me a good understanding of what drugs to use and how too administer them during interrogations effectively. I have training in the operation of certain Ixian devices too."

He stands, pours a spice coffee and puts a spice cake on a plate.

"Softening up procedures and the rough stuff, I will leave in your capable hands."

"Cake?" he says smiling pleasantly, offering the drink and cake to Joab.

Last edited:
"Yes that's why I suggested a guard with another purpose beyond it's appearance. I doubt those who advise the emperor would tolerate thoughts of armed troops in the capital even if they belong to a loyal ally. Though rally more loyal followers to your banner to train would be wise here and on your home world. Always good to be under arms."

He almost laughed at the intellectuals take on war and prisoners. It was typical and with out any thought or feeling. A simple secession of acts of brutality that would lead to completing an intelligence puzzle. Possibly.

"I'm sure things will go swimmingly if every prisoner knows their fate will be that one of pain and torture before being disposed of for giving up what little information they have. Please don't think you're above it all because what you do in a sound proof interrogation chamber. It's little different then a soldier putting his blade to a wounded enemy demanding to know where the next enemy position is. Necessary but not entirely honorable."

He politely waved off the cake and turned his attention to the Countess. "No thank you. I believe m'lady and I have to discuss terms of service though. I'm willing to handle things thus far even if I don't have a complete picture."

Opening Position

“I believe m`lady and I have to discuss terms of service, though,” Joab suggested. “I’m willing to handle things thus far even if I don’t have a complete picture.”

“What terms do you propose?” Josephine replied simply. Though not raised for statecraft, her father had made sure all of his children knew how to negotiate, which he’d said he considered as vital to life as knowing how to breathe.

"Well I think to be fair why don't you tell me what compensation and perks the individual who held this post previously enjoyed. Also what is their disposition as of now? Perhaps beheaded by their previous employer. At any rate I'm a man looking for a home, but I won't just go into any house that has a vacancy. So monies, lodging, and domestic situation. Also when you wish to begin our arrangement?"

Take it or Leave it

“As far as I know, there was no Warmaster for my House here on Kaitain,” Josephine explained. “The Embassador oversees security. As for the Warmaster on Molyvis, I have no idea of his compensation. I hadn’t time to review accounts before coming here.”

She turned toward Pathir. “Mentat, given all we know of the present situation facing me and my House, together with Joab’s known qualifications and character, calculate his appropriate compensation. Do not discount it for negotiation. Give us the ‘take it or leave it’ numbers.”

Leanna A'tare had been on Kaitain for six standard hours and twenty seven minutes. Twenty two minutes from the shuttle touching plasmacrete to her exit down the ramp. Two hours and forty four to reach the Customs officials after a House Taligari party turned out to number in the hundreds. Seventeen minutes to settle the middle-aged customs official when he realised he had left a sister of the Bene Gesserit waiting in the main transit lounge, and four more to complete clearance.

The railtaxi in to the city took her past the Imperial Precinct, ensuring that any visitor from off-world was first impressed by the sheer ostentatious grandeur of House Corrino and the Padishah Emperor. She saw the driver glance back to see her reaction and she had widened her eyes appropriately, without otherwise breaching her composure. Sixty two minutes later they arrived at the West Central Plaza, renowned across the galaxy for its rich fabrics. An hour and eighteen minutes later, she was in the fashion house D'Orya, having placed an order for a special blue dress.

As she spread her arms for the seamstresses to take the last of her measurements, Leanna reflected on the journey that brought her to Kaitain this day. Remembering her training, the Sister imagined all the other selves who had made the choices she hadn't, spiralling outwards on the winds of maybe and never-were. Most of those selves wouldn't have come to the throneworld. Some weren't even Bene Gesserit, but the one she was picturing now was the one who'd decided to go left instead of right, who didn't have a blue gown fit for the highest festivities, but had arranged a suite of accommodation. Instead, she had a case in storage.

"Eight centigrams of the spice and eight hundred solari per standard month paid on the first day," Pathir replies, "All living expenses paid by House Marius." "Plus a bonus of a half gram of spice and one thousand solari when the Countess has her vengeance."

The same contract salary he has just negotiated. No need to promote jealousy, the roles of Generalist Mentat and Warmaster are close enough in skill level to rate similar pay scales.

"Any troopers you supply will be paid double the standard Great House trooper rates'" he continues, "It will take sometime to buy, transport or smuggle any arms, so they will have to initially supply their own small arms." "Upkeep, ammunition and loss replacement due to combat paid for by House Marius."

"House Marius will supply health insurance for replacement of lost limbs, hearing and sight with either Ixian devices or Tleilax products, along with standard mercenary guild pension rates and transport of body to homeworld of choice."

Not overly generous terms for hired mercenaries. The offer to supply health insurance is the generous portion of the offer. Not all Houses supply even their own House Troopers with insurance. But it helps if a soldier is risking life and limb to know the limbs at least are insured for replacement with either a biological replacement or artificial one. Especially for mercenaries who risk grievous injury and can usually expect not much beyond a small guild pension. Blind or limbless veterans make up many of the poorest street beggars.

Buying Loyalty

Josephine fully agreed with the salary, benefits, and bonuses Pathir offered Joab to become her local Warmaster. She cringed inwardly, however, upon hearing Pathir’s generous offer of service and disability pay for troopers, but she understood his reasoning. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Besides, she could afford it. While not as wealthy as Arrakis, her planet Molyvis produced sufficient exports of exotic minerals and rare earths, and many products thereof, to make House Marìus the envy of most of its peers.

Growing up, she had studied the tactics of the most successful Great Houses in securing obedience. As examples, House Corrino relied on force, Harkonnen on fear, and Atreides on fairness. She hoped finances would prove likewise effective.

Leaning back in his chair and thinking for a long instant he looked down deep in thought. Even if he was frank about his situation he shouldn't just jump at the offer. It had to be thought out and mulled over, but he wouldn't leave the room without accepting. The position had the potential for years of employment if not to his dying day. Intrigue and assassinations would just be the tip of the iceberg and there was still a whole galaxy to conquest. What the lady's ambitions truly were remained to be seen, but he had to be on guard for the living computer. He was to dangerous to be taken lightly.

He looked up from his thoughts and nodded. "Yes I believe that is a suitable offer for the position. Where shall we begin as they say? I will begin fulfilling my duties at your convenience m'lady."

Practical Strategy

“Where shall we begin, as they say?” Joab queried after accepting the offer of employment. “I will begin fulfilling my duties at your convenience, m'Lady.”

“Your salary and benefits commence now, as must your loyal fealty,” Josephine answered in a severe but professional tone. She slid a shigawire recorder across the desk toward Pathir. “We’ll complete the legalities later. As for where we begin, Pathir shall lead in matters of overall strategy, with your advice and my consent. It seems to me, however, that here on Katain, you, Joab, must recruit and train a small but deadly strike force, to be ready to strike once we have identified those responsible for the unlawful attack upon my House. We can put them in the uniform of Embassy guards so as not to appear to have offensive troops here on Kaitain. I assume we would train them as special operations light infantry; use of heavier weapons would surely draw an adverse reaction from the Sardaukar.”

She paused to draw a breath, reflecting on the wisdom of having studied privately some military science growing up. She understood the Laws of Primogeniture necessarily maintained the stability of Great Houses, and happily saw her younger brother become Count when their father died. On the other hand, she considered it short-sighted that most noble women primarily studied the finer aspects of courtly living, with military training limited to personal defense, knife work, and martial arts. While circumstances such as hers occurred rarely, some teenaged instinct had informed her that she needed to learn more. She would now benefit from the hours she spent alone in the palace library reading texts of military history and treatises on tactics and strategy. She wondered if the two men in the room would recognize her unusual familiarity, for a woman, with the jargon of military practice.

“What do you think, Gentlemen?” she asked plainly. “Does this idea make sense?”

"I would suggest, Countess," Pathir replies, "At least half of new recruits not be uniformed and brought to the Embassy." "It has it's dangers of the Emperor discovering our actions but we should secrete small cadres of Joab's men about the city in disguise or at least pretending to still be unemployed."

"After initial recruitment they should have no contact with any of us. We can use dead letter boxes as a means of passing on orders. I would suggest covert teams of no more than three members in each cell, so as to avoid the interest of Imperial or enemy intelligence services' notice."

"Joab can identify and recruit those skilled in Warcraft. I myself have some 'friends' who can handle such things as break and entry and lock picking," he continues, "In effect we will be creating a spy network here in the capital with adequate resources to accomplish their missions and support the more military aspects of our operations."

"Joab should bear the title of Military Attaché and I will be a Special Envoy. This way we will both be able to operate with diplomatic immunity."

"Well then it seems we can all agree on the need for recruits, but how to form this group discretely and not station them here. We don't want it to appear that you're in exile in anyway, or you can't trust your own countrymen, and of course nobody wishes to upset the Emperor. That last one is of particular concern. There are many men with swords, but no lands so how many do we wish to begin with. I'm sure your banner will attract many even if it is encased."

"Your offer is fair so do you wish me to move to the embassy grounds? If you'd like for me to continue at my current lodging arrangements can be made. The enemies lurk in the shadows so decisions have to be made. Whether they're good remains to be seen though."

Practical Residency

“The enemies lurk in the shadows so, decisions have to be made,” Joab urged, then added cryptically. “Whether they're good remains to be seen though.”

“Let us certainly hope so,” Josephine replied softly. “The wrong decisions could cost us all quite dearly.”

Indeed, she wondered if she had moved too quickly and impetuously. She had put an awful lot of trust into these two men, after meeting them just this afternoon. She needed a way to judge their future honesty and loyalty. This gave her an idea.

She cleared her throat and continued. “I want you both to reside here. I need ready access to your advice and skills at all times. As you say, Joab, ‘enemies lurk in the shadows,’ and there is no telling when we might need a quick and coordinated response. I, obviously, will make this my residence as well, which reminds me....”

She pressed a button on the desk and summoned the Vice-Chamberlain. When he arrived, she instructed, “I need a chambermaid to help me set up and maintain my apartments here. Please find a good group of candidates. They should be well educated. I want someone with whom I can talk and maybe even play a game of Cheops now and then. I will want to review their resumes and conduct any interviews myself.”

She did not add that she hoped to find one with Bene Gesserit training who could thereby assist in spotting any signs of dissembling among her close advisors.

"Well it good to know that I am at least as important as good house staff. Now it's just a matter of rallying brave souls to your banner."

Harmon had dressed himself in his best and walked into the upper tiers of the court goings on. He hoped to find someone to talk to who was both connected with the goings on with the high and mighty of society but also bored enough and secure in their position to not care if they let slip a little bit of gossip.

Actually he had one person in mind, but he was not sure if she would be in attendance today. She would be ideal to talk to as she had all the contacts he needed and probably knew everything he needed, and her position was so safe at the moment she would probably not care who's toes she stepped on. Of course he would be very respectful and mindful of his position. He was but a lowly Ambassador and she was so much more.

He wandered around making small talk with a few people he knew and making contacts with a few more he didn't, all the while keeping his eyes out for the woman he was waiting for. He hoped that she showed up, but that was all he could do, hope.

Practice Makes Perfect

Josephine awoke the next morning in the sleeping quarters she had appropriated from her Embassador. Kaitain’s sunlight, more yellow than that back home, filtered through skylights above. Pushing aside the plush coverings, she sat up. For practice, she immediately began repeating the words she had put herself to sleep by reciting the night before.

“I, Josephine Marius, the Countess suo jure of a Great House and Imperial kinsperson, pledge my word of bond under the Great Convention to maintain the peace and security of the realm if Your Most Sublime Padishah Emperor Elrood Corrino the Ninth would deign to confirm me to take possession of the fiefdoms and planets of House Marius and....”

Pathir had readopted his simple disguise and left the embassy after the Countess had retired to catch some sleep before presenting herself at the Imperial Court. He had collected some of his things from his rented appartments but had not cancelled his leasing arrangement. These possessions he had sent to the embassy while he sought out two 'acquaintances'. The two men he sought where found were he knew them to be, in a very poor district of Corrinth. The inequalities inherent in a feudal system are as evident on Kaitain as anywhere in the Empire.

Some weeks previous the two men had attempted to mug Pathir, taking him for perhaps a rich merchant foolish enough to not have a bodyguard. While by no means as talented with weapons as men like Joab are, Pathir is more than proficient to deal with a simple late night mugging. When the two men awoke from the effects of the slow-stunner pellets it was to find themselves having been injected with an extremely addictive drug. While offering none of the usual 'benefits' of an addictive drug the withdrawal symptoms are quite intense, but if allowed to run their course non-fatal. Pathir declined to mention that fact to the men. Now weekly they must meet with him to obtain another dose which they assume is an antidote to a residual poison. As the men cannot go to the authorities and Pathir wound a story of exotic far off-world origin for the drug the two thieves are now under his control. He sweetened the trap they are in by supplying them with several worthwhile victims for robbery. Victims who Pathir had purposefully lost money and spice to in his cheops scams.

Pathir instructs the two would be muggers to rent a number of apartments and small storage facilities for which he provides cash payment. These will be used to secrete caches of weapons and cadres of mercenary troopers operating undercover about the city. He then makes a point of passing the Bene Tleilax Embasy and stops to retie the laces on his boots.

A half hour later at a cafe down the street from the Tleilax embassy he is apparently met by an old friend whom he has a short conversation with. An hour later another 'old friend' carrying a wrapped parcel approaches and has coffee with him and then leaves, forgetting to take his parcel with him. The parcel contains along with several transmitters, what appears to be a cheops board with a rather bulky base. In the base is a shigawire recorder tied to a long wave radio transmitter. In effect the parcel's contents operate as a 'dead letter box', a term used in espionage for a means of transmitting instructions and receiving information to and from covert operatives and their handlers without a face to face meeting.

His connections to the Bene Tleilax are more of an 'old school tie' connection than Pathir being a Tleilaxian operative. Pathir makes no mention of his new employment by House Marius but when he appears in court as a special envoy of the Countess it will hardly be a secret. Pathir has no loyalty to the Tleilax. He appreciates their training but remembers also their methods of removing such things as consideration for societal norms, morals and ethics.

Removing the cheops board from the parcel, he arranges for it to be delivered to the house of the spice trader as a present to his daughter, along with a note promising to see her soon. Anyone within 200 standard metres of the house will now be able to operate the dead drop and further than 200 metres is undetectable.

With the basic beginnings of a covert operation in place Pathir returns to the Molvyian Embassy and removes his disguise, changing into the much finer clothing he normally adopts. It has been a day and a ight since he slept but the stimulating effects of the spice coffee and cakes supplemented with a goodly dose of sapho juice has him more than physically and mentally capable of dealing with whatever the Imperial Court my offer.

Last edited:
Knowledge is Power

Typically, members of the imperial family, especially those born and raised in the harem, did not attend court. The young woman styled as
the Lady Scheherazade Corrino y de`Cortes had no desire to act typically. She considered herself too smart for the fate awaiting most of her sisters and half-sisters, given as wife — or, worse yet, concubine — to some second son of a Major House or even the eldest of a rising House Minor. She believed she had some important destiny to fulfill within the Imperium.

So, she visited court as often as she could. She used her innate beauty, together with the charms taught to her by her mother, a lesser imperial concubine, Concetta-Nichola de`Cortes, to spend time with and close to men who knew things. Through simple but focused eavesdropping, Scheherazade now knew many things herself that she probably should not. An ancient saying promised that “knowledge is power.” Having no power herself despite her royal lineage, Scheherazade planned to acquire it through knowledge. With this in mind, she entered the crowded antechamber to the throne room, prepared to glean more secrets.

Dunep001.jpg

Harmon spotted his target as soon as she entered the hall. Who could fail to spot such beauty even if they were not actually looking for it? Lady Scheherazade Corrino y de`Cortes was the daughter of a lesser imperial concubine but unlike others of her ilk was sharp of mind and had a desire to learn.

Harmon hoped she would be able to help him flesh out a few rumors he had already heard, and also provide details about a few more of the men on his list, but he also knew she was shrewd enough to work out exactly what he was doing if he was not careful.

He in fact had two choices. Try his luck and see if he could intrigue her enough to spill the beans on the men through tedious layers of round about talk. Or he could just tell her the truth and see if she was either willing to trade for the information, or interested enough to actually part with it.

First of all of course he had to get close enough to her and that in itself was going to take some doing. Although it may seem that the room was crowded and he could just walk over to her and strike up a conversation there were forms to be observed. A person of his rank did not just walk up to someone of hers and start talking. He either needed to be summoned or introduced and a summoning was out of the question. So who did he know and who owed him a favor that was of high enough rank to introduce him?

He quickly scanned the room and caught sight of an old lady. A remarkable sight in this day and age and one he knew was done for effect. Smiling he walked over to her and bowed then took her hand and kissed it, lingering over it a little. "Why Dowager Juniper, you are looking as beautiful as ever. I see you are still turning heads wherever you go. What brings you to the court today?"

The lady in question was a minor noble from a minor world but as such had a rank that would enable her to meet Lady Scheherazade as an equal. "Harmon still flirting with the women I see," she smiled good naturedly. He had struck up a friendship with her, playing cheops and appreciating her sharp mind and even sharper wit. Most people were put off by her choice to show her advancing years but Harmon was not one of them. "You have not approached me to dazzle me with your charm. You want something, what is it?"

"Ahh you cut me to the quick," he bowed to her but smiled,"But yes today I need a favor. I need an introduction to the Lady Scheherazade. I need to discuss some things with her." He saw a look of interest flash across her face and sighed. "Very well I will tell you all about it later in exchange for the favor."

She chuckled and took his arm weaving through the throng of people until the stood in front of the lady. "Excuse me my dear but please allow an old woman her little delights. I see you have no escort and I happen to have one that would look better on your arm than mine. Allow me to introduce Harmon here. He is a minor Noble of House Ordos who is here establishing new trade routes. Harmon this is the Lady Scheherazade Corrino y de`Cortes. Now if you two young people will excuse me I think I have some feathers to ruffle." Smiling she backed away leaving them alone together.

Harmon was taken aback. He had assumed she would stay and chat for a little while not just introduce and run, but he recovered quickly and smiled and bowed to Lady Scheherazade. "My Lady, I apologize for doing this but I must confess to using the Dowager to get an introduction to speak with you. What male in his right mind wouldn't if he was able to surely but it is not only to bask in your beauty but also to raid your mind."

He had decided to go with the latter of his two options and tell her some but not all of his reasons for wanting to know the information. "Perhaps we could move to a quieter and more private area. I have some things I would like to discuss with you that I am hoping you can help me with."

"Indeed, Lord Harmon," Scheherazade replied to the sycophantic courtier. "It is unusually crowded in here, even for this place."

Scheherazade never refused such requests. Ninety percent of them simply wasted her time. In about one in ten cases, however, the suppliant provided some useful bit of gossip for Scheherazade to add to her the inventory of secrets and innuendo she kept to her potential advantage.

"I was just considering a walk in the gardens," she added. "I happen to know where several cones of silence are positioned out there."

Harmon bowed to her and offered her his arm and led her out into the gardens, chatting about inconsequential things as they strolled through them. He let her guide him and soon they were sitting on a small bench surrounded by a small hedge. he assumed they must be in one of the cones she had mentioned and he smiled deciding to get down to business.

"As pleasurable as chatting has been your highness, i believe you would like to know the real reason I have approached you. I am sure someone as smart as yourself has worked out it was not just to spend some time in your company."

His face became more serious and he decided how much he could afford to give away and what story he could spin. "I have a colleague that has been approached with offers of marriage from several houses. They are very powerful and he is very fortunate, luckily he has resources these families want and several pretty daughters, so the loss of one will not be an inconvenience."

He looked around even though he knew they could not be overheard and then confided in her. "My problem is I have heard certain rumors about these men. They have indulged with the royal concubines while maintaining a squeaky clean image. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with a young man indulging himself, far from it, I just wish to assure my friend that his daughter will be well taken care of with the man he chooses. I was hoping with your contacts you could maybe inquire as to what these men got up to and how they might treat a future wife. Of course I would not expect this to be a one way proposition. If I can be of any use to you you have but to ask. I am afraid I can not reveal my friends identity but perhaps at a future time you may call in another favor and it would be granted by my house as recompense as well."

Dressed for Success

Josephine chose her attire carefully. She started with the dress blacks of a Molyvian flag officer. As constitutional commander-in-chief of her planet’s military, she had the right to the uniform. Having never actually served, however, she added no rank insignia to it.

On her head she wore the black coif, wimple, and veil signifying mourning on Molyvis. This she adorned with the simple steel diadem signifying her sovereignty over that planet. In this way, she declared both her brother’s death, and the status it conferred upon her.

attachment.php

She left her apartments deep inside the Embassy and walked the private corridor to its public offices. She wanted to consult once more with Pathir and Joab before she declared her intentions at Court. Growing up, she had read a great deal about the military and political sciences. The days ahead would determine how well those theories played out in practice.

Attachments

• mourning01.jpg
    mourning01.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 0
Back