OOC for THE AFFAIRS OF KAITAIN: A Role-Play of Dune

'too curious for her own good'

If you follow DE on who are Imperial concubines, you could have stumbled on an inter-Sardaukar plot. Loyal to Emperor but could have their own plots to gain more power and rank. Maybe like Mirror universe Star Trek. Advancement by assassination. Lone survivor looking for support from outside the Imperial court and Sardaukar.

But I'm inside the Imperial Court.

Exactly. Anybody in the court would sell you out in a heartbeat to gain some favour with the Emperor's personal killers. Your only option is to seek help from someone who has no Imperial connections. Going to Elrood is not an option. He will do nothing to interfere with internal Sardaukar 'problems'.

If you attach yourself to Josephine's house any attack on you could be construed as a Sardaukar attack on a House Major. Big no no from Landsraad POV. Or it just gets you out of the Sardaukar family and nullifies your potential as target.

Then you can plot your return free from fear of being killed.

Is there a particular rumor for which you are looking?

If so, I can base a first post about how I would learn the information.

:cool:

No he would just be fishing at the moment. Basically Harmon would be the one to introduce you to the thread. My last post mentioned that I needed to learn information out, so my next one would have me approaching you. Probably requesting a meeting with you from one of your servants in your outer chambers as I am just an ambassador and you would greatly outrank me.

Now I can play it frankly knowing of your situation, or round about and asking lots of disjointed questions about lots of topics to throw you off the scent. You can make things up, but put in a few juicy bits, like one has a spice habit that is just a little too large. One gambles a little too much and is in too deep with a certain bookie. Maybe one gets a little too rough with his women occasionally and it is costing his family a fortune covering it up. Things like that.

Always a crowd at court and social events for you two to meet and greet. May not even need a private audience. Just laugh and gossip during a party.

"See him over there, he's a ..." sort of thing.

Lots of opportunities to rub shoulders. She could be one of the few exceptions who attends the myriad of social functions.

From DE

The Imperial Palace on Kaitain housed not only the emperor and his immediate relatives of House Corrino, their servants, bodyguards, and slaves, but also the emperor's slave-harem with its
adjacent nursery for the offspring of the stave-concubines, and, on a higher level, quarters for the generally ignored-but-tolerated string of aristocratic visitors with suits, petitions, diplomatic errands, and the like.

The great audience hall would be crowded with Imperial bodyguards, courtiers, noukkers, pages, slaves, hangers-on, bat still with only a fraction of those who clamored to get in; the audiences
would seem endless, but would accommodate only a few petitioners out of the many who waited.

With few exceptions, members of the Imperial family did not attend the myriad social functions which gave the Court its reputation for glittering splendor.

Livery

First, a definition:

livery

/ˈlɪvərɪ/

noun (pl) -eries

1. the identifying uniform, badge, etc, of... the servants of a feudal lord....

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition.

Frank Herbert made it clear that the feudal Houses in Dune utilized livery, most famously the green and black colors, and hawk, of House Atreides; the white a gold colors, and lion, of House Corrino; and the white and blue colors, and ram, of House Harkonnen. Naturally, House Marìus would have its own livery.

House Marìus’s color’s are black and silver.

It is represented by this ancient symbol:

saturn-symbol-clip-art.png

Thus, any House Marìus troops, officials, servants, or other retainers will generally wear uniforms of pure black with silver details and accouterments. Such uniforms will have the symbol shown above embroidered over the left breast in silver thread or wire. Where black clothing is impractical, such as camouflaged military fatigues, or simply unavailable for House Marìus’s officials, servants, or other retainers, they will at a minimum wear this patch sown into their clothing over their left breast or on their left sleeve:

attachment.php

You can use the above information to add detail to your posts. If you have any questions about any of this, please ask!

P.S. You get extra credit if you can figure out why I picked that symbol.

Attachments

• HouseSymbol02.jpg
    HouseSymbol02.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0
Well there is what the symbol for Saturn represents.
Domination
Authority
Transition
Obstinate
Slower pace
Methodical
Time
Construction
Labor
Stability
Long study
Observation
Unrevealed power

All of which would be good traits for your house.

I think Aussie and myself are on same web page.
http://www.whats-your-sign.com/saturn-symbol-meaning.html

But as Molyvis is a mining planet.

The Saturn symbol is composed of two design elements. The top cross, which is symbolic of the culmination of matter...

Plus the points stated by Aussie.

And a touch of...
This lower "crescent" portion of the Saturn symbol is also reminiscent of a scythe or sickle. These are of particular interest because the symbolism of the planet Saturn (and the agricultural Roman god Saturn) often addresses themes of death.

Not knowing history of House Marius, it could be...
Underlying mythological themes further reveal the god Saturn dethroned his father, Uranus. This dethroning symbolizes the changing of an old regime (death) to a new one (rebirth), and this ties in with Saturn's symbolism.

But I got my money on the culmination of matter and Molyvis being a mining planet.

Doesn't look like any large oceans on Molyvis.
http://www.dorktrek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/5241planet.jpeg
If any standing water. Planet looks frozen.

Skip Ahead a Day or Two?

I think Josephine, Pathir, and Joab have talked it out to where we have our explication developed to a point that provides a good foundation for further storytelling.

I also provided in my
latest post a potential entrée for Leanna A'tare to come into our group. BlindKitsune could post next, describing coming to the embassy for a job interview.

Oh, and by the way:

But I got my money on the culmination of matter and Molyvis being a mining planet. ...

You're getting warmer!

Yes time to move things further....This is a power struggle for crying out loud. It will have to be fun. :)

A full Sister of the BG as a chambermaid! Well that should free up 10-20 of Joab's best fighters required for close protection of the Countess.

Full Sister? Not a Reverend Mother possessing Other Memories after enduring the Spice Agony?

That would make Aussie Wolf/Harmon's task of cozying up to the Countess virtually impossible. Even if not specialized as a Truthsayer she would see through him in a moment. He would be dead or wishing he was a second later.

Looks like your going to get full use of your clones now, Aussie! I would suggest deep hypnotic conditioning and drugs to control heart rate, breathing, pupil dilation and sweat/endorphin glands to hide ulterior motives and thoughts. And conditioning to suffer a fatal heart attack if she gets her hands on you. A semuta drug addiction might cover up physiological clues. Large dose of shere too.

Can the twisted-mentat watch if the BG witch interrogates a prisoner? He could learn lots! :)

A full Sister of the BG as a chambermaid! Well that should free up 10-20 of Joab's best fighters required for close protection of the Countess.

Full Sister? Not a Reverend Mother possessing Other Memories after enduring the Spice Agony?

That would make Aussie Wolf/Harmon's task of cozying up to the Countess virtually impossible. Even if not specialized as a Truthsayer she would see through him in a moment. He would be dead or wishing he was a second later.

Looks like your going to get full use of your clones now, Aussie! I would suggest deep hypnotic conditioning and drugs to control heart rate, breathing, pupil dilation and sweat/endorphin glands to hide ulterior motives and thoughts. And conditioning to suffer a fatal heart attack if she gets her hands on you. A semuta drug addiction might cover up physiological clues. Large dose of shere too.

Can the twisted-mentat watch if the BG witch interrogates a prisoner? He could learn lots! :)

I see your point about her being "chambermaid," but this at least gives BlindKitsune the opportunity to get involved. Perhaps Leanna A'tare hears that Josephine is looking to set up a household on Kaitain and offers her services as something else. What would you suggest?

Meanwhile, do you think another possibility for Scheherazade is to enter Josephine's household as a Lady in Waiting? It was not uncommon in feudal Europe for the daughters of royalty to go to the households of noble ladies in that post to learn courtly behavior and such. What do you think?

Leanna would be more Lady-in-waiting.

From Wikipedia
A lady-in-waiting is a female personal assistant at a court, royal or feudal, attending on a queen (either if she is the queen regent or the queen consort), a princess, or a high-ranking noblewoman. Historically, in Europe, a lady-in-waiting was often a noblewoman from a family in "good society", but who was of lower rank than the woman on whom she attended. Although she may or may not have received compensation for the service she rendered, a lady-in-waiting was considered more of a companion to her mistress than a servant.

As for the Princess while not 'legitimate' her ranking could rival yours, therefore making her too high to be a lady-in-waiting. Best bet might for her just to be a Princess who does whatever she wants because her father is Emperor and (?) her granddad is a Bashar in the Sardaukar (?) (still waiting on her opening and a bit of detail in her origin).

The ladies in the story so far represent some of the major powers in the Duniverse.

Mess with the Countess and you have a full-scale WoA on your hands with all the wealth of a House Major. (as Harmon is about to find out)
Mess with the BG witch and she will snap your neck herself or seduce you and implant a deep hypnotic suggestion that renders you her bitch. Vladimir Harkonnen's obesity and diseases were a result of his treatment of Reverend Mother Mohiam.
Mess with the Princess and have a squad or even a legion of Sardaukar pay you or your home world a visit.

We are writing our own story....can make changes as needed especially in minor situations.

Leanna would be more Lady-in-waiting.

From Wikipedia
A lady-in-waiting is a female personal assistant at a court, royal or feudal, attending on a queen (either if she is the queen regent or the queen consort), a princess, or a high-ranking noblewoman. Historically, in Europe, a lady-in-waiting was often a noblewoman from a family in "good society", but who was of lower rank than the woman on whom she attended. Although she may or may not have received compensation for the service she rendered, a lady-in-waiting was considered more of a companion to her mistress than a servant.

As for the Princess while not 'legitimate' her ranking could rival yours, therefore making her too high to be a lady-in-waiting. Best bet might for her just to be a Princess who does whatever she wants because her father is Emperor and (?) her granddad is a Bashar in the Sardaukar (?) (still waiting on her opening and a bit of detail in her origin).

The ladies in the story so far represent some of the major powers in the Duniverse.

Mess with the Countess and you have a full-scale WoA on your hands with all the wealth of a House Major. (as Harmon is about to find out)
Mess with the BG witch and she will snap your neck herself or seduce you and implant a deep hypnotic suggestion that renders you her bitch. Vladimir Harkonnen's obesity and diseases were a result of his treatment of Reverend Mother Mohiam.
Mess with the Princess and have a squad or even a legion of Sardaukar pay you or your home world a visit.

Ah but you forget Harmon also has a house backing him up and it is far more wealthy than the Countess's and far more technologically advanced thanks to it's trade deals.
As you say the BG witch can do all those things but the next clone will then have the advantage of knowing exactly what happened and be conditioned against such things. Plus there is a failsafe if caught and remember he is an assassin himself and has training even against the sisterhood although I doubt the y would go against them, but surely to avoid detection by them.

Well KaseE I hope I have given you a sufficient opening to post your first salvo. We may be a little bit in front of the others and discovering things a little faster but they can time skip to catch up or something else so we can all merge together again. Even Leanna can post with us if she wishes. That get's everyone involved.

Well KaseE I hope I have given you a sufficient opening to post your first salvo. We may be a little bit in front of the others and discovering things a little faster but they can time skip to catch up or something else so we can all merge together again. Even Leanna can post with us if she wishes. That get's everyone involved.

I figured your post could be happening in the morning as well as in the evening, so I went ahead and advanced us to the next day. Indeed, as Josephine will now be heading to Court, it makes all the more sense to have you there now as well.

But I got my money on the culmination of matter and Molyvis being a mining planet.

You're getting warmer!

Molyvos is on the Isle of Lesvos (Lesbos)?!

That's interesting, perhaps even appropriate for Josephine, but not what I had in mind.

In Greek, Molyvos is written: Μόλυβος.

Which is awfully similar to this Greek word: Μόλυβδος.

If no one figures it out now, then I give up!

Back