New Lit Control Panel Testers - Info, Updates, Reports & More

Description

It would be really nice to have the ability to give a longer description to a story series and update it periodically as the series progresses.
-MM

Story Series

It would be useful to be able to rearrange stories on an Author's List into subfolders that are themes such as Christmas/Winter Holiday; Halloween; April Fool; etc.

At present all we can do is Story Ch.01; Story Ch.02 etc. If we want a longer title or the ability to put stories in the order they should be read - we can't.

For example if I write a story and then a sequel, the sequel has to be Ch.02 or Part 02 even if the sequel could be read as a stand alone story.

If I write a prequel? The original story has to be renamed Part 02 even if it isn't.

On Yahoo Adult Groups I can edit titles of posted stories. For example I have a whole set of stories set in the fictional town of Silverbridge. On Yahoo by editing the titles Silverbridge Part 01 followed by [story's original title] I have ordered them in chronological order from 01 to 33 allowing a few gaps for stories yet to be added. I can't do that here.

It would be useful to be able to rearrange stories on an Author's List into subfolders

Seconded! We'd like total control to group related stories and name the grouping / series. And not just for the author's view, but the reader as well.

Relying on alphabetical order or some unknown algorithm is very limiting.
-MM

Story length

As we tested entering a new chapter for our serial "Page" using the new interface; we found that there is no indication for how long the story will be.

Is that going to be permanent?
Will the reader interface be the same (no paging, just scrolling)?
Has any thought been given to telling readers on their "Story Summary View" how long a story might be? (Words, Pages, Paragraphs, something?)

-MM

Thank you for the feedback and positive comment. Can you clarify what you mean by "there isn't really a Mobile friendly version yet"? What happens when you access the new Control Panel on a mobile device? It should be responsive and you should see a full screen version of the new Control Panel on your small screen device.

If anyone else is having problems with accessing the new Lit Control Panel on mobile, please let me know what you are seeing instead of a mobile friendly version of the Control Panel.

Thank you again! :D

You get a full screen version but you can't adjust the size. With most respons I've sites I can do the two finger spread thing to make the text bigger so I can read it. Not with this one

Thank you for the feedback and positive comment. Can you clarify what you mean by "there isn't really a Mobile friendly version yet"? What happens when you access the new Control Panel on a mobile device? It should be responsive and you should see a full screen version of the new Control Panel on your small screen device.

If anyone else is having problems with accessing the new Lit Control Panel on mobile, please let me know what you are seeing instead of a mobile friendly version of the Control Panel.

Thank you again! :D

I can't understand the point of having the full control panel on a mobile? How many people write and submit stories on a mobile? (Though perhaps that explains why some Lit stories are so badly written and full of typos.) I certainly wouldn't want to try to read a whole story on it. I can't do a mouseover on it so I can't see a precise number of views. All you can realistically do with it is check how the votes are going on your stories and why anyone should want to do that on a mobile is beyond me. Do people really check their votes several times a day? That's rather like weighing yourself every hour while on a diet. And, in any case, the votes and views are too small to read on a mobile and the symbols (eg the heart, star, etc) all appear as rectangular boxes on mine at least.

Wow.
I just discovered the new control panel and I have to say I really love it !
I think my only criticism with the old one was that it was difficult to keep track of the new stories being posted by my favorite authors.
I think you guys just made this website ten thousand times better !

For the hell of it I checked my followers just to see how many pages it would be (I have just shy of 8800) and i keep getting Oops there was an error and 'No followers yet? Publish stories!"

I wonder if it can only handle so many?

Reposted here. I think for some users the # of followers may exceed the # of pages you can create. I thought it was bad for me with 500 odd followers and 50 pages. I can't imagine 8,800 followers. At 10 followers per page - I think you might get an idea of the problem some authors will face.

Wow.
I just discovered the new control panel and I have to say I really love it !
I think my only criticism with the old one was that it was difficult to keep track of the new stories being posted by my favorite authors.
I think you guys just made this website ten thousand times better !

There was no need to redesign the site just to add in new features. Don't confuse the two things.

There was no need to redesign the site just to add in new features. Don't confuse the two things.

The site hasn't been redesigned. Just a small modal has been added to replace an old one. At this rate, this will be a work in progress forever and a day.

You guys are hearing a lot about what we're having trouble with, and you should, but I wanted to point out something that I think is REALLY cool.

In the new control panel, under My Home --> Authors Activity, there's a sub-tab for News Updates. I can't tell you how great an idea that is. I imagine the more hardcore contributors will just start a Wordpress blog so they can feel more comfortable promoting the work they do outside LE, but for hobbyists like me who'd rather not go through the trouble, or don't submit that much work outside the site, this could be a godsend. As it stands, the only space I have to update people who are interested in my work is the biographical section of my profile, and I have no way of knowing if people are reading that. I'd love a way to stay in direct touch with the readers who follow me; tell them what projects I'm working on, how they're going, and hey, while you're waiting, you should check out these other authors or stories, they're influential/awesome.

That particular potential for authors to give bumps to other authors could help foster partnerships and writing circles within the site, changing the way your contributors engage with it. So if I were you, I'd prioritize getting that up and running, because that's going to buy you a ton of goodwill while you smooth out the wrinkles in your redesign plans. (Bonus points if you can give authors the option to allow moderated comments on their posts. Key word being "option"; sometimes we want to hear back from followers, but sometimes we don't.)

Reposted here. I think for some users the # of followers may exceed the # of pages you can create. I thought it was bad for me with 500 odd followers and 50 pages. I can't imagine 8,800 followers. At 10 followers per page - I think you might get an idea of the problem some authors will face.

There would definitely be some benefit in being able to sort these (as can be done with stories).

LitName / Join Date / Follow Date / Number of Works / Number of Followers / Following

-MM

Pending Story Listing

laptopwriter brought this up on an AH thread today. Where in the new control panel does it show a submitted story that is in pending? And if this information no longer is going to be given, how will an author know a story submission has been rejected (and why?)? As an example, my old control panel today has on my author's list a listing of a story in pending and with a date given on when it will publish. I can find no such listing/information on the new control panel. This is a major problem for me--and I presume for other authors--if the new control panel isn't going to provide this information.

laptopwriter brought this up on an AH thread today. Where in the new control panel does it show a submitted story that is in pending?

On the "Works" page, the default view seems to be "My Stories" (the other options are "My Poems" and "My Artworks") and it shows the list of published stories. To the right of the "Published Stories" button you can also chose "Drafts", "Pending" and "Sent Back."

A pending story appears on the list when you select the "Pending" button. I'm not sure what "Drafts" would be. "Sent Back" seems self-explanatory.

OK, I found it. Thanks. It will just be a matter of learning to navigate to there. Thanks.

i like....

I like the repeat funnels under user pic and in the nav bar.
I love the draft function
I love that you can now see how many followers you have and who they are.

i want more stats and metrics for stories. keep em coming.

i dont like the birthday thing at all.

A few bug fixes going live today:

1. Authors with tens of thousands of followers should be able to see their Followers list now. If you still can't see the Followers page, please hold down the Shift key and click Reload in your browser. If that doesn't work, let me know and we'll go back to the drawing board.

2. Following/Followers lists should be sorted properly (newest to follow and newest followed first).

A few other minor bugs that didn't bother too many people have also been fixed.

Please let me know if you have any new problems after today's update and thank you for all of the feedback and help so far! :D

A few bug fixes going live today:

1. Authors with tens of thousands of followers should be able to see their Followers list now. If you still can't see the Followers page, please hold down the Shift key and click Reload in your browser. If that doesn't work, let me know and we'll go back to the drawing board.

2. Following/Followers lists should be sorted properly (newest to follow and newest followed first).

A few other minor bugs that didn't bother too many people have also been fixed.

Please let me know if you have any new problems after today's update and thank you for all of the feedback and help so far! :D

Much better! The font is so much easier to read now! Thank you!

If the published page had items ordered like this, the columns would align better

Score / Views / Votes / Comments / Favorites / Hot and Awards

:cattail: #.## :eek: 999,999,999 :rose: 999,999 :kiss: 99,999 :heart: 99,999 HOT W E

-MM

Big thumbs up for fixing the text processor to handle curly quotes :D

I was really not looking forward to having to change my whole process again to deal with that. Crisis averted ;)

I'll have to check and see how it's processing Wordperfect's em dashes. The old processor rendered them as double-dashes. I've already adapted to that, so if that's still happening, no biggie. It would save me a couple of minutes worth of find/replace if it renders properly, though.

Thank you for putting the real vote counts back in as well. That was really bad for the OCD of a stat junkie.

It would be really nice for the preview to show us how many Lit pages the submission will be and where the page breaks are, though. Without that information, there's a possibility of the page breaking in the middle of a multi-line italic/blockquote/etc. and causing incorrect formatting to appear on the following page. If we can see where the page breaks are, we can adjust by closing the tag before the page ends and opening a new tag for the next page.

a specific suggestion

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in but I have a admittedly specific search problem/suggestion. I have a fetish for male orgasm denial but find it basically impossible to search for that fetish. whatever I put orgasm denial, male denial whatever it brings up only females being denied. I would like to suggest that you put a way to search for stories based on the sex of the main character.

A REQUEST

Hi Manu,

For the tool bar (whatever it's called) that gives you all the links in your profile, can you put a link to the main forum?

Unless I'm mistaken, there's nothing that links the new panel to this forum.

Thanks

Heyall

Disregard, I see a forum link now on the book picture icon.

Everything looks great and runs smoothly.

Though I still wish the activies list could extend to 24 hours before having to load more.

Thanks

Heyall

Back