Negative anonymous comments... that may be right

desecration

Virgin
We hear a lot about the negative Anonymous comments around here, but I thought I might break out a few that are either not wrong or, while maybe not something I can use, bring up some ideas worth thinking about. These are from the comments to my first story published here, "Trojan Horse":

Very flat ending.

You know, that's a good point. It could use some punching up. Then again, I was trying to keep it short at that point. It could have had more action, or at least more settings. It bothers me when a story occurs in six different chairs in three places.

Didn't mind the plot but you could have cut 10-20% of the extraneous details to improve the flow and pacing of the story. I never understand why the characters in these stories marry the first woman they date after the divorce - I thought he settled for Tricia.

It's an interesting assertion. Personally I like fleshing the stories out with detail, but some like more of the Raymond Carver approach, where you have "strategic details" instead of a more Victorian (think Dickens!) complete picture. As far as Tricia: she was the granddaughter of his grandmother's best friend, and Randall finally figured out that he was getting led around by his penis, and so he chose to accept the wisdom of the one person who it seems never let him down.

Randal is a disappointing main character. He believes himself to be virtuous but is crap.

On the nose! I don't think it's Randall who is bad, just inexperienced, horny, and not really sure of himself. He needs to gain some confidence. I'm not sure I like him either; he's more of a demonstration of how all of us get a bit dumber and more selfish when we are making mistakes, and it takes a whap! upside the head to knock us out of it. At least, that's my experience, with me.

You went a bit off the rails in the LW parody section, funny as it was - just a bit too much of the inside-joke, and distracted rather than moved the story forward.

All true. It was there for the enjoyment of people here, and also, sort of, to sketch out a template.

Your story turned into the btb story that you previously made so much fun of.

Interesting thought. It did, on some levels, didn't it? On others, he was not geared toward harming his ex, since he knew she'd do that herself, or at least had already done it, because life as a soulless and selfish person can't be much fun (can it?). The point was that he wanted out of the horrible marriage so that he could find a good one, with actual love instead of the appearance of it. Good comment.

Much too verbose, prune it back by about 50% and it could be a good story.

This is always good to consider.

The liked the idea of the story, but the overall piece is too convoluted. It needs a strong editor who can provide focus and direction.

That's a risk too. It was deliberately non-linear because memory is non-linear, but I'll grant you that it became a little twisty-turny.

Another example of "the writing" being better than "the story". Personally, although I've just finished, there was nothing particularly memorable.

What a nice comment about my writing. You may be right about nothing being memorable, although in my head, it seemed like the point was to show a fairly normal person making a normal mistake, and how to get out of it in his head first and then later, in real life.

Much to long with all the philosophy . 3 stars,

A valid and fair complaint.

I think there might have been a good story in there but it was just littered pointlessness.

I appreciate you being willing to look for that story. "Trojan Horse" may just suck. We never know until time has passed.

It was different, it flowed almost like a medieval romance.

That's really interesting. I haven't picked up one of those for years, but influences linger. I always liked the solemnity and reverence of the medieval period.

Three pages too long

It's good to have a solid estimate of how much too long it is.

seriously the main character sounded nothing but depressed human being.

story had no clear direction, even though gwen was important character, it felt like reader know nothing about her

& suddenly a conclusion of her life WTF??????????

All good points. Randall tends toward the melancholic, but I think most people do, even if they hide it better than he does. We never hear from Gwen's perspective. I'll mark this one down as a potential weakness.

It is predictable that while the stupid husband could not or would not fathom his wife, the wife knew Exactly what she wanted and what she was getting from cucky.

That's true. He was completely broadsided by her.

For someone supposedly so thoughtful this poltroon was deaf dumb and blind when it came to Gwen; who's fault is that?

He eventually admits that it was his. He's not designed to be a superman, more like an everyman, albeit one with some skills, education, and money to keep things exciting.

Oh, Gwen was so deceitful, so clever so . . . obnoxiously obvious and predictable. We know this because the cucky husband used her predictability against her, once her behavior Finally forced him to get his head out of her ass.

"Finally forced him to get his head out of her ass" is a perfect summary, and I thank you for that! This story looks into pathologies. Gwen had one, and so did Randall. Those made them both a bit dumber than they would be if considering something more straightforward, like algebra or something. Then again, when I look at the divorces my friends have gone through, the pathologies win out in the end. He needs a wife who looks like success. She needs a man she can manipulate because she doesn't really trust men, except when she can control them with her, uh, "charms."

So who do we fault, and who paid a price? Not fucking anyone. Randall served his balls up on a platter and Gwen accepted them. Randall's failure at due diligence and emotional self defense is not Gwen's fault either, he got what he married. Maybe he should have looked a little closer beyond her stunning beauty and her talented vagina?

Yes, indeed. Good analysis on your part.

Both Randall and Gwen were much better off after they separated, both ended up happy and content within the limits of their appetites and aptitudes. The only person who really got away with murder (of the marriage) was the Lothario Steven, and we know who's fault that is, wimp.

True. The bad guy getting away scot-free seems to be a theme I struggle with. Then again, you could view this one as ending with each party getting what is appropriate to them. Gwen remains loveless and working her sexual magic until she hits The Wall; Steve stays an egomaniac who will go nowhere in his career because he's a sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen; Randall finally learned to humble himself and get with the reality picture. Satisfying? No, we all want Steve on a cross and Gwen burning in hellfire, on some level, while Randall gets sodomized by meth-crazed goats for his stupidity. But life is rarely that satisfactory, in that way, at least.

So what good is the depth of this work when at the bottom we find the same old pile of dim witted cuck shit. It was a good effort, just not worth the wordsmithing. But thanks for the effort. Try again.

I appreciate your encouragement!

Yet Gwen, too, is a carrier of the Divine Spark, or whatever you choose to call it, and this author is too perceptive not to know it. Only she can bring it to full flame. No one can do it for her. But will she?

A great point. Maybe she does come to awareness. I like to think she might.

It was a little too long winded for me although I do admire those who write.

This could well be true. It's something to struggle with in the future.

I enjoyed the writing until it became more present than the story.

Always an important thing, to make sure a story isn't "over-written." This one may be, although I couldn't find anything extraneous to the telling of the story or the psychological shift in the character. That may have been easier in first person, as another commenter suggested.

Started pretty good. Slow and the characters were well balanced. The wife still had depth. Unfortunately she lost it in the end, became more an airhead. Egoistical, greedy, even a sociopath but stupid? No. Her character went down diametrically with MC‘s development in his debatable alternative divorce plan.

I think this one is on point. The focus shifts to Randall, and we don't see much about Gwen except that her scorn for him sort of overrides her common sense. This is one to remember.

And after all, in a the end it got a bitter taste thinking, not only the villains won but they never were made aware that they were played too. At least the wife had been pissed about the divorce outcome. Steven? Well, he came unscathed. It happens in real life. Also the saying, best revenge is a good lived life… yeah, but… a little pay back makes the cherry on the top.

True. I think it's unsatisfying. However, in my experience, the bad rarely get punished, except by themselves. Those who make themselves hollow end up having to live hollow lives, and even if they get all that they want, they never quite have the frame of mind to really enjoy it, and they have to live with being kind of unpleasant people, especially to themselves.

Maybe it needed a better view of inside Gwen's head.

boring, couldnt get past the second page. way too wordy

It does have a lot of words, doesn't it? Maybe too many.

Just fucking no.

It made me chuckle and I don't know why. I appreciate your feedback.

What???? Fucked up jumble of words!

There is a poetry in this which I will consider in the future.

Well, being anonymous is apparently just commenting without an account. I don't guess everyone who reads without an account is looking to be a bastard.

Well, being anonymous is apparently just commenting without an account. I don't guess everyone who reads without an account is looking to be a bastard.

You can have an account and still post anonymously. You just don't log in.

Whoever or whatever the Anonymouse commenters are, I've never disabled them because I've received a number of positive and/or useful anonymous comments. One of the most recent made clear they'd read the story closely and while they had some opinions that didn't mesh with mine, they weren't rude about it.

Just because they're Anonymous doesn't mean they're out to be an a-hole.

I pretty much get 50/50 account/anon comments. They're generally speaking equally intelligent, thoughtfully written, with something to say. Which might be very concise: "More, you bastard. Don't fucking stop here!" Knowing damn well that I will.

I don't appear to attract fucktards in my commentary, but then, I don't submit stories in their categories of choice, so they stay away.

Negative comments can be useful, sure. I tend to get them more on stories that obviously do have flaws: have too rushed of an ending or might have needed another round of edits.

The truly rude ones are still designed to sting you. I know a lot of people's social skills are non-existent but you can pretty much count on the truly obnoxious commenters having little interest in your development as a writer and have just come out to shame you. Odds are they will never read anything by you again, so you don't need to pander to them.

We hear a lot about the negative Anonymous comments around here, but I thought I might break out a few that are either not wrong or, while maybe not something I can use, bring up some ideas worth thinking about.

Yeah, Anon does come up with some good points at times.

From my COVID lockdown story https://www.literotica.com/s/twin-times-quarantined-with-mum

The makings of a 5 star story but ended as 4
by Anonymous user on 06/03/2020

I was really getting into the story until the last bit. Was disappointed that Adam did not fuck his Mom. I felt like it ended on an off note.

I actually thought the same. I was rushing to finish and just chopped the ending short. Lesson learned. Do it right.

In my experience there is no correlation between anonymity and foolishness. Anonymous comments are useful just as often as the non-anonymous ones.

You can have an account and still post anonymously. You just don't log in.

Not so. You can have an account, log in and select to either comment anonymously or with your account. Just a matter of clicking a radio button while in the comment section of a story.

rj

I certainly don’t have enough data to back it up, but I suspect the anonymity aspect tends to remove some folks filters. I’d be surprised if the rude/unhelpful comments aren’t more prevalent in the Anon set than in the logged in set.

To the OPs point, Anon comments can and do contain useful feedback at least some of the time. They’re certainly worth looking at, and if you find them useful then by all means keep them and allow them to influence you positively.

I got one recently that pointed out a minor glitch in the story text that I’d missed when copying and pasting from word. That part of their comment was useful, but asserting my story wasn’t ready for publication in a contest wasn’t. By the time they posted (they were comment #32), the story has over 70K views, had over 1.3K votes and was/is still listed H. It may not have been perfect, but it’s far from a flawed mess not ready for posting.

That guy was a jerk, so I fixed the glitch and deleted the comment. If they’d had the spine to post while logged in I’d have fixed the glitch, sent them a PM politely thanking them for pointing out the glitch, and THEN deleted the comment. Feedback like that doesn’t need to be in a public comment, where the main or only point is to discourage rather than help them.

I mean... I guess... Objectively speaking... If I were to just "drop dead" I would not be "taking up oxygen..."

So... I guess... They "might be right."

If their comment, abusive or otherwise, tells me they’ve read the story then I don’t have a problem with it. I don’t get many belittling comments but when I have other readers have sprung to my defence so there’s no point in deleting the original comment.

My disappointment is if the anonymous comment is praise I can’t message them to say thank you for both reading the story and enjoying it.

If their comment, abusive or otherwise, tells me they’ve read the story then I don’t have a problem with it.

Anonymous comments have a long record of being helpful. Heck, weren't The Federalist Papers written under anonymous pseudonyms?

It really depends on the person commenting. The fun, interesting, or good ones tend to offer something of constructive critique, even if they're vomiting burrito and cheesecake onto their toes at the moment.

I was impressed by the quality of these AC comments. The nice thing about anonymity is that you are free from retaliation for what you say.

The more articulate anonymous negative commenters are likely authors on Lit themselves who are commenting anonymously so as not to receive reciprocal negative feedback on their stories.

The more articulate anonymous negative commenters are likely authors on Lit themselves who are commenting anonymously so as not to receive reciprocal negative feedback on their stories.

I always put my name on my comments.

If a story is, in my opinion, really bad and the number of negative comments would discourage the writer to maybe give up I don’t comment at all.

My comments are a mixture of praise and constructive comments and I find it quite easy to find positives comments to balance out, to some extent, any negative comment. I want to improve and I want to encourage other writers, like myself, to continue writing and, very importantly, enjoy doing so.

I think, if you looked closely enough, you could make a negative comment about any story and I also think, possibly wrongly, every writer considers there are some aspects of their story which could be improved on. I think every good writer has rewritten parts because they think they need to be improved on and has discarded well written scenes because they believe, after consideration, they really don’t fit in with the story after all.

As for:
“The more articulate anonymous negative commenters are likely authors on Lit themselves who are commenting anonymously so as not to receive reciprocal negative feedback on their stories”

I gave up worrying about the bad comments, and scores, on my stories long ago. On one story I received several 1-bombs in succession, during the same day, which shattered completely the score making that magical H disappear. They’ve never been swept away. Nothing I can do about it so why worry?

If someone is a writer who makes an anonymous hurtful and non constructive negative comment on a story perhaps they should consider how they would feel if it was done to them and not leave any comment?

Last edited:
What's the basis for this supposition? Why would writers be any more articulate than intelligent (or asshole) anons, and what's in it for them, to drop negative feedback to all and sundry?

I keep hearing this, but I don t buy it, not without direct evidence.

I write Loving Wives stories, so getting negative comments is just part of life for me.

Negative / constructive comments should always be welcome, I know there have been a few that have been really helpful to how I think about stories. But at the same time you can try to take on too much looking at negative comments and stop yourself from writing. I know about a month ago as I was coming out of COVID, I read too many comments, and I ended up thinking too much about what readers would think of my stories in-place of just writing them.

At the end of the day, each of us that write, writes for our own reasons, if we let too many negative comments affect what we write, then are we being true to ourselves?
Take the feedback onboard, learn for it but don't let a negative comment stop you!

I've recieved to comments I'd consider constructive criticism. First was from an author who offered a tip on where to break a paragraph for the sake of flow. The other wad anonymous user who pointed out my tendancy to use their or your, when I should've used they're or you're. As far as mean comments are concerned, I've yet to meet someone who lacked the nerve to drop me down a peg directly. I don't one bomb anyone's work, nor do I care if they do mine. My rule of thumbs is to read all comments, take what, if anything, I can from them and move on.
I wouldn't be so quick to come to such a conclusion. Not all authors are master wordsmiths, and not all anonymous readers lack coherence when they write.

To be fair
We hear a lot about the negative Anonymous comments around here, but I thought I might break out a few that are either not wrong or, while maybe not something I can use, bring up some ideas worth thinking about. These are from the comments to my first story published here, "Trojan Horse":

You know, that's a good point. It could use some punching up. Then again, I was trying to keep it short at that point. It could have had more action, or at least more settings. It bothers me when a story occurs in six different chairs in three places.

It's an interesting assertion. Personally I like fleshing the stories out with detail, but some like more of the Raymond Carver approach, where you have "strategic details" instead of a more Victorian (think Dickens!) complete picture. As far as Tricia: she was the granddaughter of his grandmother's best friend, and Randall finally figured out that he was getting led around by his penis, and so he chose to accept the wisdom of the one person who it seems never let him down.

On the nose! I don't think it's Randall who is bad, just inexperienced, horny, and not really sure of himself. He needs to gain some confidence. I'm not sure I like him either; he's more of a demonstration of how all of us get a bit dumber and more selfish when we are making mistakes, and it takes a whap! upside the head to knock us out of it. At least, that's my experience, with me.

All true. It was there for the enjoyment of people here, and also, sort of, to sketch out a template.

Interesting thought. It did, on some levels, didn't it? On others, he was not geared toward harming his ex, since he knew she'd do that herself, or at least had already done it, because life as a soulless and selfish person can't be much fun (can it?). The point was that he wanted out of the horrible marriage so that he could find a good one, with actual love instead of the appearance of it. Good comment.

This is always good to consider.

That's a risk too. It was deliberately non-linear because memory is non-linear, but I'll grant you that it became a little twisty-turny.

What a nice comment about my writing. You may be right about nothing being memorable, although in my head, it seemed like the point was to show a fairly normal person making a normal mistake, and how to get out of it in his head first and then later, in real life.

A valid and fair complaint.

I appreciate you being willing to look for that story. "Trojan Horse" may just suck. We never know until time has passed.

That's really interesting. I haven't picked up one of those for years, but influences linger. I always liked the solemnity and reverence of the medieval period.

It's good to have a solid estimate of how much too long it is.

All good points. Randall tends toward the melancholic, but I think most people do, even if they hide it better than he does. We never hear from Gwen's perspective. I'll mark this one down as a potential weakness.

That's true. He was completely broadsided by her.

He eventually admits that it was his. He's not designed to be a superman, more like an everyman, albeit one with some skills, education, and money to keep things exciting.

"Finally forced him to get his head out of her ass" is a perfect summary, and I thank you for that! This story looks into pathologies. Gwen had one, and so did Randall. Those made them both a bit dumber than they would be if considering something more straightforward, like algebra or something. Then again, when I look at the divorces my friends have gone through, the pathologies win out in the end. He needs a wife who looks like success. She needs a man she can manipulate because she doesn't really trust men, except when she can control them with her, uh, "charms."

Yes, indeed. Good analysis on your part.

True. The bad guy getting away scot-free seems to be a theme I struggle with. Then again, you could view this one as ending with each party getting what is appropriate to them. Gwen remains loveless and working her sexual magic until she hits The Wall; Steve stays an egomaniac who will go nowhere in his career because he's a sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen; Randall finally learned to humble himself and get with the reality picture. Satisfying? No, we all want Steve on a cross and Gwen burning in hellfire, on some level, while Randall gets sodomized by meth-crazed goats for his stupidity. But life is rarely that satisfactory, in that way, at least.

I appreciate your encouragement!

A great point. Maybe she does come to awareness. I like to think she might.

This could well be true. It's something to struggle with in the future.

Always an important thing, to make sure a story isn't "over-written." This one may be, although I couldn't find anything extraneous to the telling of the story or the psychological shift in the character. That may have been easier in first person, as another commenter suggested.

I think this one is on point. The focus shifts to Randall, and we don't see much about Gwen except that her scorn for him sort of overrides her common sense. This is one to remember.

True. I think it's unsatisfying. However, in my experience, the bad rarely get punished, except by themselves. Those who make themselves hollow end up having to live hollow lives, and even if they get all that they want, they never quite have the frame of mind to really enjoy it, and they have to live with being kind of unpleasant people, especially to themselves.

Maybe it needed a better view of inside Gwen's head.

It does have a lot of words, doesn't it? Maybe too many.

It made me chuckle and I don't know why. I appreciate your feedback.

There is a poetry in this which I will consider in the future.
To be fair before I became an author I would leave anonymous feedback but I would always try and be fair either in a positive way or a negative way.

I just don’t get comments like “complete crap”. Say what you don’t like. Even if I disagree chances are I can understand why they think that at least.

Last edited:
My first story (recent) got a pretty sound thrashing from an anonymous user who was... probably right. But the observation that the story is unoriginal & derivative, while undoubtedly true, is also fairly intentional. Part of my intention is to connect to well worn tropes and over the course of a story, to subvert them. I may or may not be any good at that, but hell, I'm writing on Literotica, so the whole point is to put in practice hours, right? The complaint that it has been done better also doesn't sting too much. If I was the best writer on earth, I would be cashing in elsewhere.

I also think it has to be seen as humorous that some holier than thou dickhead feels compelled to write an anonymous slam on a first-time author. At the end of the day, I think it says more about them than anything else. Hope they get laid soon!

To be fair

To be fair before I became an author I would leave anonymous feedback but I would always try and be fair either in a positive way or a negative way.

I just don’t get comments like “complete crap”. Say what you don’t like. Even if I disagree chances are I can understand why they think that at least.
I received a comment once about my story of a couple trying to join a sex club. The comment said they hated the fact the club managers distracted the husband while his wife was enjoying a gangbang. The comment thought that was deceptive and abusive. So, I posted my own comment saying; "Thanks for explaining, thus it was a 1 well deserved!"

I've gotten comments that are more insulting from authors in the forums than I have from anonymous readers.
I'll never understand this...ever. You can offer criticism without being an abrasive asshat. I grew up with men who were brusque in speech and manner. I can differentiate between that and being intentionally insulting and snarky just because. Criticism isn't all about the content, it's also about the presentation, for we are all individuals and will respond in different manners. Some will be hurt, others will be cowed and still others will tell the critic to fuck off. In the end what happens is the advice, no matter how good it is, no matter how sincere the offer was, will be ignored because of the presentation. Sorry, I got off on a tangent. Now back to the discussion at hand.

Comshaw

My first story (recent) got a pretty sound thrashing from an anonymous user who was... probably right. But the observation that the story is unoriginal & derivative, while undoubtedly true, is also fairly intentional. Part of my intention is to connect to well worn tropes and over the course of a story, to subvert them. I may or may not be any good at that, but hell, I'm writing on Literotica, so the whole point is to put in practice hours, right? The complaint that it has been done better also doesn't sting too much. If I was the best writer on earth, I would be cashing in elsewhere.

I also think it has to be seen as humorous that some holier than thou dickhead feels compelled to write an anonymous slam on a first-time author. At the end of the day, I think it says more about them than anything else. Hope they get laid soon!
1. Your ratings are good for the first two parts (including a H)
2. Your writing …there’s nowt wrong with it. Your building a story and building character. It’s fine, it’s an enjoyable read.
3. Only take heart if it’s fair criticism.

That’s all.

Back