Negative anonymous comments... that may be right

I'll never understand this...ever. You can offer criticism without being an abrasive asshat.
It's the internet-effect. The lack of accountability that gives the abrasive asshats a short term dopamine boost. It's been happening since the days of newgroups and IRC and BBS's. In real life, these fools would face the music. On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It's the internet-effect. The lack of accountability that gives the abrasive asshats a short term dopamine boost. It's been happening since the days of newgroups and IRC and BBS's. In real life, these fools would face the music. On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
I agree. But I still can't understand that concept that because you are safely ensconce behind a computer, safely anonymous, you can be an asshat. An analogy would be the old test of what you would do if no one was looking or could ever find out. It's a test of character, a test of who one truly is. I try to be the same person here, in the virtual world, as I am in the real one. I do sometimes fall into my own trap of being an asshat. But if I do it here, I'd also do it in RL.

All in all it's like lying. If you tell the truth, you never have to worry about remembering which lie you told when. gotta' run. I'm on my way out onto the water to do some shrimping and halibut fishing.

TA

Comshaw

I agree. But I still can't understand that concept that because you are safely ensconce behind a computer, safely anonymous, you can be an asshat. An analogy would be the old test of what you would do if no one was looking or could ever find out. It's a test of character, a test of who one truly is. I try to be the same person here, in the virtual world, as I am in the real one. I do sometimes fall into my own trap of being an asshat. But if I do it here, I'd also do it in RL.

All in all it's like lying. If you tell the truth, you never have to worry about remembering which lie you told when. gotta' run. I'm on my way out onto the water to do some shrimping and halibut fishing.

TA

Comshaw
What is shows is that in private, where no one else knows you, or can even see you, and when there is no consequences for your words, a high percentage of people let their true colors show, and they're not pretty. The internet doesn't make someone an asshole. The internet is a tool, and social media simply a platform, the asshole makes the asshole

I'm back!!! No halibut, damn the luck. But I did get a bucket full of these:DSCF0668.JPGSpot Shrimp. Now for the big decision, what am I going to make with them? Deep-fried shrimp? Shrimp pasta? Cajun blacked shrimp? Shrimp kabobs? Am I starting to sound like Forest's buddy Bubba? :unsure:

Comshaw

Back