My Favorite Quotes

lightning1 said:
If you plant ice, You're gonna harvest wind. Robert Hunter

Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again

roll away...

I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

All men dream but not equally.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.

I have learned to seek my happiness by limiting my desires, rather than attempting to satisfy them.

BUDDHA QUOTES

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

When one has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels tranquil, one finds pleasure in listening to good teachings; when one has these feelings and appreciates them, one is free of fear.

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether ones believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion.

We can never obtain peace in the world if we neglect the inner world and don't make peace with ourselves. World peace must develop out of inner peace.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

His Holiness
The Dalai Lama

The main cause of suffering is egoistic desire for one's own comfort and happiness

In my childhood, I had a religious assistant who always told me, if you can really laugh with full abandonment, it's very good for your health.

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

When a problem first arises, try to remain humble and maintain a sincere attitude, and be concerned that the outcome is fair.

Through money or power you cannot solve all problems. The problem in the human heart must be solved first.

The very purpose of meditation is to discipline the mind and reduce afflictive emotions.

The seed for nirvana exists in all of us. The time has come to think more wisely, hasn't it?

His Holiness
The Dalai Lama

If the mind is dominated by hatred, the best part of the brain, which is used to judge right and wrong, does not function properly.

Feelings of anger, bitterness, and hate are negative. If I kept those inside me they would spoil my body and my health. They are of no use.

Feelings of anger, bitterness, and hate are negative. If I kept those inside me they would spoil my body and my health. They are of no use.

Freedom is the real source of human happiness and creativity. Irrespective of whether you are a believer or nonbeliever, whether Buddhist, Christian, or Jew, the important thing is to be a good human being.

The basic sources of happiness are a good heart, compassion, and love. If we have these mental attitudes, even if we are surrounded by hostility, we feel little disturbance. On the other hand, if we lack compassion and our mental state is filled with anger or hatred we will not have peace.

Ignorance is the source of hatred, and the way to get rid of ignorance is realization.

The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater our own sense of well-being becomes.

To me there is no difference whether president, beggar, or king.

The ultimate way to solve human problems is with nonviolence.

:rose:

His Holiness
The Dalai Lama

Indulgence in resentment and vengeance will only further increase miseries to oneself and others in this life and in lives to come.

Humans are not machines-we are something more. We have feeling and experience. Material comforts are not sufficient to satisfy us. We need something deeper-human affection.

For a person who cherishes compassion and love, the practice of tolerance is essential, and for that, and enemy is indispinsable. So we should be grateful to our enemies, for it is they who can best help us to develop a tranquil mind.

No material object, however beautiful or valuable, can make us feel loved, because our deeper identity and true character lie in the subjective nature of the mind.

I am often moved by the example of small insects, such as bees, The laws of nature dictate that bees work together in order to survive. As a result they possess an instinctive sense of social responsibility.
They have no constitution, laws, police, religion, or moral training, but because of nature they labor faithfully together. Occasionally they may fight, but in general the whole colony survives on the basis of cooperation.
Human beings, on the other hand, have constitutions, vast legal systems, and police forces. We have religion, remarkable intelligence, and a heart with a great capacity to love.
But despite our many extraordinary qualities, in actual practice we lag behind these small insects. In some ways I feel we are poorer than the bees.

BlueEyesInLevis said:
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wont work and it just annoys the pig. - Dad

*smiles*

Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat - Dad

seriously though, the quote in my sig line is one of my favorites :)

Without proper mental peace it is difficult to achieve proper world peace, therefore there is a connection. Many of the problems that we have today are because of our hatred. As human beings we have good qualities as well as bad ones. Now anger, attachment, jealousy, and hatred are on the bad side. They are the real enemy. From a certain point of view, our real enemy, the true troublemaker, is inside. I try to see each tragedy in the context of other, bigger tradgedies in history. That gives me a larger focus and makes it easier to bear. So that is my secret, my trick. I believe I am a happy person.

For me it is nothing. New millennium or new century or new year. For me it is another day, another night. The sun, the moon, the stars remain the same.

At times there have been impossible responsibilities and a lot of difficulties. Then again, personally I'm quite jovial with not much worry. I do my best, which is moderation, and failure doesn't matter.

The basic Buddhist standpoint on the question of equality between the genders is age-old. At the highest tantric levels, at the highest esoteric level, you must respect women, every woman.

We need a little more compassion, and if we cannot have it then no politician or even a magician can save the planet.

Without feelings we cannot make a demarcation between justice or injustice, truth or untruth, good or bad.

I believe that constant effort, tireless effort, pursuing clear goals with sincere effort is the only way.

From a believer's point of view I do have some special relationship with some higher beings. But in my own mind I am still an ordinary Buddhist monk.

At daybreak if the weather is fine, I go into the garden. This time of day is very special to me. The sky is clear, I see the stars, and I have this special feeling-of my insignificance in the cosmos, the realization of what we Buddhists call impermanence.

In order to achieve genuine, lasting world peace based on compassion, we need a sense of universal responsibility. First, we have to try inner disarmament-reducing our own anger and hatred while increasing mutual trust and human affection.

Good human qualities-honesty, sincerity, a good heart-cannot be bought with money, nor can they be produced my machines, but only by the mind itself. We can call this the inner light, or God's blessing, or human qualitity. This is the essence of mankind.

Cheif Tecumseh (sp?)

"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none. When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision. When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

His Holiness
The Dalai Lama

If you have a sincere and open heart, you naturally feel self-worth and confidence, and there is no need to be fearful of others. If you have this basic quality of kindness or good heart, then all other things, such as education and ability will go in the right direction.

There's no shop that sells kindess, you must build it within. You can transplant hearts, but you cannot transplant a warm heart.

When you encounter some problems, if you point your finger at yourself and not at others, this gives you control over yourself and calmness in a situation, where otherwise self-control becomes problematic.

Infinite altruism is the basis of peace and happiness. If you want altruism, you must control hate and you must practice patience. The main teachers of patience are our enemies.

O, what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!... ~~~~Sir Walter Scott (1771–1832),

Be patient wild eyes.
Soon will come a storm to tame you.
Let her winds surround you.
Match her fury and let fires reign.
There is no escape.
Nature means what she does.

Anjeshni~

Everything in nature is lyrical in its ideal essence, tragic in its fate, and comic in its existence.~~~~ George Santayana:

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet
enough trials to make you strong
enough sorrow to keep you human and enough hope to make you
happy

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees"

"I'm a dreamer still standing..."

Both are favorites of mine, although I don't know who said them.

A soulmate is someone who has locks that fit our keys, and keys to fit our locks.
When we feel safe enough to open the locks, our truest selves step out and we can be completely and honestly who we are; we can be loved for who we are and not for who we’re pretending to be.
Each unveils the best part of the other.
No matter what else goes wrong around us, with that one person we’re safe in our own paradise.
Our soulmate is someone who shares our deepest longings, our sense of direction.
When we’re two balloons, and together our direction is up, chances are we’ve found the right person.
Our soulmate is the one who makes life come to life.

blackopal19 said:
"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees"

"I'm a dreamer still standing..."

Both are favorites of mine, although I don't know who said them.

No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.

Back