Me. Here. Now.

adrina

Heretic
Oh where to begin boys and girls. We all have trauma and drama in our past. Some more than others. Some less than others. But it's all there as fodder for our inner demons to wreak havoc with ourselves and our lives.

My tale begins as a very young girl. Our family adopted a boy, a teenage boy, when I was very young. He came from a troubled home but we were naive to the reality of his existence and the damage that could be wrought. The fights started very quickly between my father, who was trying to tame and control this wild child, and my adopted brother. Loud, acerbic, toxic, violent fights. Daily, sometimes several times a day. There was no escape. My mother tried to shield my sister and I as best as she could but there was no quiet room, no safe space. There was just the relentless drumbeat of the daily grind of violence and fighting.

By the time my adopted brother left the house, I had endured this for almost ten years. This is how I grew up. I came to learn that men could not control themselves, their anger, their emotions. That their anger would be used against me instead of to protect me. My father had turned into a rage-aholic from all of those years. His anger had become habit. I was never hit or physically abused - nor was my sister. But the anger, the rage, the need to control had been deeply ingrained within him by then. I never heard my father say the words "I love you" as a child.

To say this colored my experiences with men would be the understatement of the century. It didn't help that I was and am a complicated personality. I had very few boyfriends growing up and the ones I did lasted no more than three months. Most no more than a month. I was too needy, too emotional, too smart, too weird. And they were not up to the task of making up for the demons in my past - nor could they be expected to.

This pattern held for many years. Through high school, college and into my twenties. In my early thirties I was making earnest efforts to find ways to cope, to make changes. I joined a website devoted to relationship advice and found a wellspring of knowledge and wisdom to work with. The internet opened up a world to me that I had not known existed. My horizons broadened, my outlook changed. I gained a sense of adventure. I learned that men are people too. I had a few online emotional affairs - a completely new experience for me. Being emotionally intimate with men. It felt so good. It was soothing and helped me learn that men could be trusted, could control themselves, could control their emotions. Could be more than angry and violent.

All of these relationships had a tinge of d/s. That is just the reality. A submissive is still a submissive regardless of their ability to articulate it. In my adventures on the net, I discovered the old chat rooms and that is where I first encountered the concept. It was, again, a whole new world. It was a revelation. When the first toy you buy is a pair of nipple clamps - yes even at 18 when I could legally go do so - it is a sure sign that the kinkier side of life resonates within you. I remember the AOL doms... oh lordy. There's an adventure. But I was very fortunate. I met some very good men, some very good doms. I would find men to talk to and would spend hours with them, sharing, getting to know them, letting them get to know me. Sharing fantasies, even cybering. I look back on those days very fondly.

After a while though, the chat rooms became overran with bots and I felt I needed more. I needed more than just cyber and personal interaction. I needed... community. I needed a place with others that I could relate to, learn from, interact with in full knowledge that my kinky side would be accepted without it being the crapshoot of chat rooms. So armed with google and the history of my experience with the relationship advice website, I went in search again. And I found a place. Not Lit, but very much like it. Stories on one side, forums on another. I joined and made friends. It was like cool water running over me, I felt... at home. That is where I met him.

He approached me as friend. We talked on yahoo for hours on end, for several months. We grew close. I was closer to him than to anyone I had ever been. After a handful of months, he broached the subject of trying d/s with him, being together. He didn't have to convince me. I had been feeling these things for him. And so we started our d/s journey together. He is the one that taught me about the bonds of d/s. The circular nature of the relationship, the power exchange, the dedication of sub to dom and of dom to sub. How one validates and reaffirms the other. We grew even closer. We became each other's everything. We were planning our life together.

Until.

Until he was pulled away from me by the obligation of his heretofore unknown child. Our world shattered. I shattered. He left me to fulfill his obligations. His own family history demanded it. I was left trying to pull myself and my life together while grieving like I had never grieved before. Friends tried to help as best as they could but the reality is that my life had been forever altered. Everything that was him was no longer there. I had to leave.

Some very dear friends came to my rescue. I moved several thousand miles away to escape, to start fresh, to get away. That was a bit over ten years ago. But the problem with escaping is that inner demons travel with you regardless of where you go. I have spent many years trying to bury my past, to escape the sorrow and grief of this loss. To the point of self medication. I trudged through my day to day life, drank through many of my evenings. Floundering. But not really knowing what to do, how to repair this damage inside of me. I avoided all things bdms and d/s. I just couldn't... deal with that reality. But in my fantasies, when I would pleasure myself... the truth could not be hidden. It was the one aspect of bdsm I allowed in my life. And I never fantasized about him. Else I would end up crying. Even now it is a fantasy I do not allow myself.

A few years ago the drinking came to a head. I was facing severe periodontal issues. In my fight for my teeth, I regained my sobriety. It took a full two years to save my teeth with many treatments and a lot of sleep and aspirin. I would literally come home from work, nap for a few hours, eat dinner and sleep the rest of the night until morning. That was my reality for almost two years.

I had joined another website a few years prior, a non relationship, non kinky forum. Just a regular discussion forum. There I met another man. He had been watching me for some time. I had no idea. He approached me and we started emailing and messaging. He had family in this state but lived a few states over. He was significantly younger - about a dozen or so years - but we were happy chatting and spending time together on the net. But he didn't want me to fall in love with him even though he said he loved me. When I began to have feelings for him, he pushed me away in an attempt to protect me.

In grieving for him, the feelings of grief from losing my love from so many years ago resurfaced. I suppose I never really fully dealt with them so it was inevitable. I didn't know where to turn or what to do. So again, I turned to google and searched for bdsm friendly forums. And I found Lit. I registered here. But the problem is that I haven't been able to re-embrace the world of bdsm and yet I haven't been able to leave it behind. So I sit here in a bit of a limbo. Wanting an outlet for these stirrings within me but not exactly sure if I can face them fully. But yet... here I am.

Why am I posting this? Confession? Catharsis? Trying to put demons to rest? Giving myself a voice for this? All of the above? Mainly I think because I am tired of living in this inbetween space of being neither here nor there and by telling my story, I give voice to my history and what has made me who I am.

Glad you could share here. Was this cathartic for you? It's odd how you can find safety and freedom in sharing with strangers, but not strangers.

The thing with loss, with grieving is you had to have a pretty amazing relationship in order to feel that deeply. What a gift you had to feel that for someone. To share those D/s bonds, you got to have what a lot of people only imagine.

Time, desire, maturity - all these give you a new perspective. Here you are. There aren't many people on the bdsm boards, so not sure you'll find a big community?? That being said, I've made friends, I've leaned on this group when I've been sad, I've learned a few new things. Hopefully, you will too.

Keep your toes dipped in the kinky waters. See where it takes you.

Welcome to this side of Lit.

Seems you have had a winding path, glad you found this place in a hope that it straightens out the path forward.
Some folks say it is the environment that makes the person other say it is the person that chooses and makes their environment, this sissy says it is the interaction between the two that tells about the person.
Thank you for sharing.

Adrina, omg, Thank you for telling your story, that must have taken some courage to write.
We don't often get to appreciate how hard some people have done it for so long, it paints a very clear picture of your past, and the demons you have battled along the way. It does tend to put some perspective around what we perceive to be issues in our own life, which pale in comparison.

I can't even begin to understand how difficult it has been for you and what you have been through. I am so sorry that you have had such a rough time.

Thanks again for sharing your story. I am so glad you did.

I'm glad you are able to tell your story, even though it must hurt to relive. -Hugs-

Listening to you , I've picked up on bits of pieces of this along the way. I hope you find love , peace and the compatibility you seek within another as I've often been a big believer that sexual compatibility is a real thing.
I've been rather reluctant to open here on Lit myself but my :heart: goes out to you on this and your story, best wishes to you truly

Last edited:
That took courage Adrina. To open up here shows you have a need to talk and find like minded people in a non judgmental environment. Congratulations, take care, enjoy your exploring.

My dear friend.:rose:

I wish I had the knowledge and experience to address your specific issues, but while bdsm holds some interest for me, it is outside the scope of things on which I can give advice.

I am, however, as you well know, an expert of the subjects of daddy issues, self medication, and most pertinently, catharsis through expression.

When I began posting my memoirs on Lit (Yes, I usually say my novel, but this is a time and place for honest expression) many people warned me that I was making myself too vulnerable, that I was endangering myself. What they did not understand was that it was my silence that endangered me. I had far less to lose by openly presenting myself, warts and all, than I did by holding it all in until the pressure built to a boiling point.

That is not to say that you should feel the need to share to the extent that I have. You will know how much you should say, what is right will feel right. You have taken a big step here. If it was far enough, I am glad you got what you need from it. If more steps are needed, there are people who will walk beside you.

Thank you for what you have given of yourself. I will hold it in my heart.

Last edited:
Glad you could share here. Was this cathartic for you? It's odd how you can find safety and freedom in sharing with strangers, but not strangers.

The thing with loss, with grieving is you had to have a pretty amazing relationship in order to feel that deeply. What a gift you had to feel that for someone. To share those D/s bonds, you got to have what a lot of people only imagine.

Time, desire, maturity - all these give you a new perspective. Here you are. There aren't many people on the bdsm boards, so not sure you'll find a big community?? That being said, I've made friends, I've leaned on this group when I've been sad, I've learned a few new things. Hopefully, you will too.

Keep your toes dipped in the kinky waters. See where it takes you.

Welcome to this side of Lit.

Yes. It helped to get this out. I've been sitting on it for a long time.

I am coming close to the point where I can say "it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all". I have lived with this for a long time - this soul wracking grief. I will always love him. There is no changing that. But I don't want him to be the last chapter in my book of love, of d/s.

I am here... so my toes are dipped. ;)

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. :rose:

I like the realness here.

Thank you.

Seems you have had a winding path, glad you found this place in a hope that it straightens out the path forward.
Some folks say it is the environment that makes the person other say it is the person that chooses and makes their environment, this sissy says it is the interaction between the two that tells about the person.
Thank you for sharing.

I think you are correct.

You're welcome.

Adrina, omg, Thank you for telling your story, that must have taken some courage to write.
We don't often get to appreciate how hard some people have done it for so long, it paints a very clear picture of your past, and the demons you have battled along the way. It does tend to put some perspective around what we perceive to be issues in our own life, which pale in comparison.

I can't even begin to understand how difficult it has been for you and what you have been through. I am so sorry that you have had such a rough time.

Thanks again for sharing your story. I am so glad you did.

I don't know about courage per se, but it was time.

I appreciate your kind words. :rose:

I'm glad you are able to tell your story, even though it must hurt to relive. -Hugs-

It was hurting more to keep it bottled up inside.

Listening to you , I've picked up on bits of pieces of this along the way. I hope you find love , peace and the compatibility you seek within another as I've often been a big believer that sexual compatibility is a real thing.
I've been rather reluctant to open here on Lit myself but my :heart: goes out to you on this and your story, best wishes to you truly

Either you are very perceptive or I am nowhere near as good an actress as I thought. ;)

That took courage Adrina. To open up here shows you have a need to talk and find like minded people in a non judgmental environment. Congratulations, take care, enjoy your exploring.

Hopefully this is a start of a new chapter, turning the page so to speak.

Thank you. :rose:

My dear friend.:rose:

I wish I had the knowledge and experience to address your specific issues, but while bdsm holds some interest for me, it is outside the scope of things on which I can give advice.

I am, however, as you well know, an expert of the subjects of daddy issues, self medication, and most pertinently, catharsis through expression.

When I began posting my memoirs on Lit (Yes, I usually say my novel, but this is a time and place for honest expression) many people warned me that I was making myself too vulnerable, that I was endangering myself. What they did not understand was that it was my silence that endangered me. I had far less to lose by openly presenting myself, warts and all, than I did by holding it all in until the pressure built to a boiling point.

That is not to say that you should feel the need to share to the extent that I have. You will know how much you should say, what is right will feel right. You have taken a big step here. If it was far enough, I am glad you got what you need from it. If more steps are needed, there are people who will walk beside you.

Thank you for what you have given of yourself. I will hold it in my heart.

You are exactly correct. Holding this inside had become the real danger. I have been carrying this around with me for a long time. It is not my habit to so publicly expose my inner world and the pain I have endured. But it was time for a reckoning.

In the last day as I have sat digesting what I have written, what I have felt and having it out there in black and white for all the world to see... I have felt more centered, more at peace than I have for a very long time. That is not to say there is no more pain associated with this chapter in my life. No amount of words can erase or alter the history or the trauma of this loss. But I believe a fundamental shift in my world has occurred. And I am grateful.

I even feel just the slightest glimmer of hope. Which I haven't felt for a very long time.

:heart:

Good luck

It was hurting more to keep it bottled up inside.

This reminds me of a quote...

'And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.' ~ Anäis Nin

Sounds as though perhaps you are ready to heal and bloom? :)

people tell their stories everywhere.

this is good a place as any.

there is a magical illusion of safety, but you threw that out coming in here. it is partially why you are here. you have a beautiful voice. your notes are crystal clear. i wish you peace and joy upon your journey.

Such big hugs for you, Adrina.

I hope that you can find a love that doesn't hurt you.

I'm sorry I didn't reply to your message earlier. I thought I had. It's been a very contemplative few days.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a love that doesn't hurt - that is the nature of love and risk. But to be open to love in spite of the potential for pain, that is something of real value.

Welcome Adrina!:rose::)

Thank you. :)

'And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.' ~ Anäis Nin

I have been trying to think of that quote for the better part of two days now. Wow. Thank you so much for putting that up.

Yes that is exactly how I am feeling.

people tell their stories everywhere.

this is good a place as any.

there is a magical illusion of safety, but you threw that out coming in here. it is partially why you are here. you have a beautiful voice. your notes are crystal clear. i wish you peace and joy upon your journey.

Isn't safety always an illusion anyway? ;)

I appreciate you posting here Neci. Thank you for your sweet words and kind intent. :heart:

Thank you. :)

------

There hasn't been a time in the last nine months where the mere thought of his name or our time together hasn't brought me to tears or sent me fighting for control. Until the past 24 hours. I will never be happy about the loss or the pain, but I feel a... relief, a peace, that I have not for... well, ever really. Grief, in some form, has been my near constant companion for so long. I had become accustomed to hopelessness as just a reality of my existence. I am a bit afraid of feeling hopeful, but I do feel it. A tiny glimmer, ever so slightly growing, but there nonetheless.

:rose:

Me, here, now

Wow, thank you for sharing your story! That was beautifully written and profound. I can relate to growing up in that type of atmosphere, you learn to protect yourself however you can.

I hope that by sharing your story, you can put all of those "demons" to rest and let the light shine through. That took a lot of courage to post that and I'm sure a lot of others can relate to a lot of what you posted.

Letting it go is a wonderful thing... You just did that.

L.O.L = Language of Love

Last edited:
You are exactly correct. Holding this inside had become the real danger. I have been carrying this around with me for a long time. It is not my habit to so publicly expose my inner world and the pain I have endured. But it was time for a reckoning.

In the last day as I have sat digesting what I have written, what I have felt and having it out there in black and white for all the world to see... I have felt more centered, more at peace than I have for a very long time. That is not to say there is no more pain associated with this chapter in my life. No amount of words can erase or alter the history or the trauma of this loss. But I believe a fundamental shift in my world has occurred. And I am grateful.

I even feel just the slightest glimmer of hope. Which I haven't felt for a very long time.

:heart:

It is believed that consciousness can only exist with language, that we can not think or understand, what we can not articulate. But I think we only really articulate our thoughts by sharing them.

(I think a lot, that's why I never shut up.;) )

By putting your words before us, you put your thoughts in order in your own mind. It's like a self induced moment of clarity.

You are strong, my sister. You are beautiful and brave.

Do You Realize?

A beautiful quote. Perfect.

I went looking for you thinking you had gone silent only to find the exact opposite has taken place. :rose:

I can let go of the worry and watch you spread your wings.

Adrina,

Sharing your story with us also shared your bravery and grace. You remind us of the risk and pain we find in living our lives, while also so beautifully showing us what strength looks like.

Facing your own past and path and reflecting on your love, loss and hopes in such an honest way is something we could all learn from.

I hope that the process helps the healing and blooming as others have said, and that you are able to welcome everything your heart desires into your life. However it works out, you've shown this little corner of the internet-forum-land some real character and beauty.

:heart: :rose:

Back