Idea for a contest

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum and now we're doubling down by going down the equally beaten to death copyright topic.

There's no indication the site would not allow this, to the contrary, there's enough examples floating around to show they'd allow it.

This leaves this up to the individual. There are some like me who don't think its right ethically, but also, at least for me, its lazy, write your own original piece.

There are others who see nothing wrong with it

Guess what? There is no absolute right or wrong across the board. Just what's right or wrong for the individual.

But that doesn't seem to scratch the eternal itch some have to always need people to think they're right.

There are many reasons for continuing someone else's work, primarily driven by admiration for their creativity and deep connection to their characters. However, these qualities demand a minimum level of nobility, sensitivity, and empathy.

I have little doubt that you too shamelessly appropriated ideas in the good old Simony fashion, but unfortunately, proving such claims would necessitate reading your work first.

You have a pleasant evening, now.

Quite apart from the ethics, I'm not sure how a person can call themselves "creative" if they allow another person to do the legwork.

Why would any self-respecting writer want to piggyback off another? Might as well be a cover band.
Wicked was pretty cool though.

How about an alternative idea? A group of authors, big names, not people like me. Offer people the chance to write a story featuring one or more of their characters.

Instead of the uneven playing field of ratings, the group of authors review submissions and pick a Gold / Silver / Bronze.

Could that work? Maybe logistically complex. And a lot of work for any author volunteering.
Me- I'd love to be part of something like this, but I doubt I have any interested fans. :(

It's not stealing if I gave them to you. 😀

And you did a fantastic job with them. Of course, I had no doubts.
I love all three of them - even As, maybe more to write than to hang out with in his case.

It was actually easier to write your characters than it was to write a younger and more naive Emma.

Emily

Back