Gauging interest - Story Idea Forum unofficial writing challenge

Rob_Royale

with cheese
If I were to pose a writing challenge, on these forums, in say, six months from now? How many would be interested in giving it a try and have the time to do so? Maybe six months to finish?

I would suggest a setting and you would do everything else.

I'd post everything ahead of time and give you time to mentally chew on it. Any interest? It would be an extension of what we already do here, just taken to the point of actually writing the story.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Actually scratch that. How about just a setting? Everyone's different characters and stories in one common setting. That could be fun.

This whole section is full of writing challenges nobody wants to do, but talk about.

If I were to pose a writing challenge, on these forums, in say, six months from now? How many would be interested in giving it a try and have the time to do so? Maybe six months to finish?

I would suggest a setting and a cast (lightly thought out) and you would do everything else. Create the plot, and decide on character relationships, etc. It could be as simple as - characters from Gilligan's Island reuniting for a Rocky Mountain vacation getaway, two years after their rescue. (No boats.)
Then, ready, get set, write!

I'd post everything ahead of time and give you time to mentally chew on it. Any interest? It would be an extension of what we already do here, just taken to the point of actually writing the story.

Just a thought.

Are you talking about a single story done in collaboration or each writer producing his/her own? It's not clear. I'd think about it at least... but I assume you're talking about posting the resulting tale(s) on Lit..? In which case I'd have to decline.

I'm suggesting creating a setting. Like an old, old house on a hill. The neighbors claim it's haunted. That's it. create your own story, plot, characters, the works. We write in a pretty wide time frame, like six months, and then we submit our own stories on Lit, and then link them here and we read and enjoy each other's work. A community writing project, but very unofficial. Lit wouldn't be involved except as they would be for any other story. Maybe use a similar naming convention so they appear related, to someone looking for like stories. Like Amy's Getaway, a Hell House Tale. We'd all use "a Hell House Tale" at the end of the title. Any category, as long or short as you want it to be.

It's just a thought, a way for the denizens of the Story Ideas forum to take an idea and write more than a couple of paragraphs. If there's no real interest, that's fine too.

The idea has promise...

We as writers like to think without limitations we are far more creative, but that is not the case at all. Only when you set limits do we really become creative.

But I see that already with @sirhugs suggestions. He has very brief story ideas, and then we morph ideas off that. When there is nothing but the blank page, we are overwhelmed, but when we are limited in scope, suddenly we creatively channel our ideas.

The idea has promise...

We as writers like to think without limitations we are far more creative, but that is not the case at all. Only when you set limits do we really become creative.

But I see that already with @sirhugs suggestions. He has very brief story ideas, and then we morph ideas off that. When there is nothing but the blank page, we are overwhelmed, but when we are limited in scope, suddenly we creatively channel our ideas.
sometimes I have more elaborate ideas, but to keep fresh threads appearing, I do not limit my threads to those. Sometimes all you need is an image or a line...

I'm suggesting creating a setting. Like an old, old house on a hill. The neighbors claim it's haunted. That's it. create your own story, plot, characters, the works. We write in a pretty wide time frame, like six months, and then we submit our own stories on Lit, and then link them here and we read and enjoy each other's work. A community writing project, but very unofficial. Lit wouldn't be involved except as they would be for any other story. Maybe use a similar naming convention so they appear related, to someone looking for like stories. Like Amy's Getaway, a Hell House Tale. We'd all use "a Hell House Tale" at the end of the title. Any category, as long or short as you want it to be.

It's just a thought, a way for the denizens of the Story Ideas forum to take an idea and write more than a couple of paragraphs. If there's no real interest, that's fine too.

Ok, understood. Not for me, sadly, on account of the requirement to submit to Lit. There are a few of us here who discuss story-related stuff by private email. We write for our own interest and have formed a little group who do the sort of thing you mention.

Every encouragement, though. Sounds like there may be considerable mileage in it. Thumbs up.

I’d be interested though I’ve found from my RPs that I write veeeerry slowly. But I’d like to participate. Gonna try and get something in for Halloween so I can bone up my wpm

This is definitely worth a bump.

I have a general setting in mind of the type Rob's suggested but, in deference to him as this is his thread, I'll start another to propose it. I hope you garner enough interest, Rob.

Back