Favorite Movie Score

Another good one: the score for the original Planet of the Apes (1968), by Jerry Goldsmith, which was highly avant-garde.
It’s good, but it has nothing on the Simpsons Planet of the Apes musical imo.

“Help! The human’s about to escape!”
“Get your paws off me, you dirty ape!”

I'm not sure that I have a favourite favourite, but anything by Michael Nyman or Ennio Morricone is usually worth a listen.

I just got reminded that The Cars' "Moving in Stereo" was also a life-changing movie "score".

If you know, you know... :cool:

Danny Elfman's score for the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton was amazing and revolutionary, in my humble opinion. Whimsical and playful at times, brooding and ominous when appropriate, and gloriously triumphant at the end. The whole gamut, and I loved every second of it. Hard to believe he's the same guy from Oingo Boingo, who also made the fabulously-fun theme song for Weird Science.

google: pheobe cates pool scene uncensored.

I was 17 when that came out, and in those days, there was no internet...
No straight red-blooded male (or female or even gay man) could ever forget that scene from Fast Times. But I didn't remember that Moving in Stereo was playing during it. So I guess I've got a good reason to look that scene up again. 😈🍆😁

I can't believe this thread has gone this far and nobody's mentioned Somewhere in Time, music by John Barry. The music is 10 times better than the movie, is in fact the only thing remembered about it.

The love theme from Yanks, by Richard Rodney Bennett is also a gem.

I can't believe this thread has gone this far and nobody's mentioned Somewhere in Time, music by John Barry. The music is 10 times better than the movie, is in fact the only thing remembered about it.

The love theme from Yanks, by Richard Rodney Bennett is also a gem.

I think many just haven't ever seen that movie. I haven't. I'm familiar with the score, only because I was sampling Barry's scores on Spotify. That's the only reason I know it. It IS a very nice score, very much like some of his other memorable scores, lush and melodic.

Danny Elfman's score for the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton was amazing and revolutionary, in my humble opinion. Whimsical and playful at times, brooding and ominous when appropriate, and gloriously triumphant at the end. The whole gamut, and I loved every second of it. Hard to believe he's the same guy from Oingo Boingo, who also made the fabulously-fun theme song for Weird Science.
What's interesting to me about the opening title music to Batman is that it's a masterclass in just how much mileage you can get out of repeating the same six or seven notes. The Batman leitmotif is pretty much the only musical idea in the whole thing, but Elfman (and his partners Shirley Walker and Steve Bartek) use every trick in the book, modulating into different keys, arranging for different instruments, playing with mood, playing with time. It never feels like it's repeating itself, even though that's all it's doing. There's some good writing strategy lurking in there somewhere.

I don't think the Lawrence of Arabia score by Maurice Jarre has been mentioned yet. That is probably my favourite.

Love Star Wars by John Williams, Chariots of Fire by Vangelis, The Dambusters theme by Eric Coates.

Not exactly a film score as such but I vividly remember watching the film version of The Wall at Leicester Square in London. Full surround sound (I think one of the first in the UK) was amazing right from the start.

I think the track sequence makes more sense than the album version too.

What springs to my mind is the score for Elvira Madigan, which brings up Mozart's "Piano Concerto 21" and Vivaldi's "Four Seasons."

I was humming themes from Doctor Zhivago, an Academy Award winner, for years too.

Not exactly a film score as such but I vividly remember watching the film version of The Wall at Leicester Square in London. Full surround sound (I think one of the first in the UK) was amazing right from the start.

I think the track sequence makes more sense than the album version too.
Includes "When The Tigers Broke Free," which is my favorite Floyd song. I understand why they left it off the album--it's basically a Roger Waters solo song--but it's incredible.

From "The last of the Mohicans'... 'I will find you' from Clannad:

I am very shocked no one has mentioned the GOAT: Blues Brothers.

That soundtrack had the best entertainers of the 70s backed by the best studio musicians of the 60s and 70s supporting the Queen of Soul. There’s nothing better.

Except maybe Marvin Hamlisch’s The Sting for which he won both an Oscar and a Grammy.

Change my mind!

I don't think the Lawrence of Arabia score by Maurice Jarre has been mentioned yet. That is probably my favourite.

Love Star Wars by John Williams, Chariots of Fire by Vangelis, The Dambusters theme by Eric Coates.

Lawrence of Arabia is a great choice. I'd call that one of the most impactful screenplays in terms of influencing one's impression of the film.

Back