Fantasy Series Story Ideas

They are the same. Tolkien explains in the intro to The Hobbit:

Orc is not an English word. It occurs in one or two places but is usually translated goblin (or hobgoblin for the larger kinds). Orc is the hobbits’ form of the name given at that time to these creatures

The name of the sword Orcrist is translated as "Goblin-cleaver." And in The Two Towers, at the site of Boromir's death:

Many Orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet. […] There were four goblin-soldiers of greater stature, swart, slant-eyed, with thick legs and large hands.

(These larger goblin-soldiers/orcs are Saruman's Uruk-hai.) There are also a few other places in The Lord of the Rings where Tolkien uses "goblin" to talk about orcs.

• Lack of compelling or relatable characters: Sometimes they are Mary Sues ("over-candied", in Mythcreant terminology)—I quickly gave up on Guardian by Xander Jade because the first few chapters were just the MC being the greatest at every possible skill—sometimes too pathetic, and sometimes just too bland and boring, or even a completely blank slate.
Like I mentioned above, the more exotic the fantasy world is, the more relatable the characters have to be.
  • Too much worldbuilding: Some "stories" are thinly-veiled excuses to describe some idea, and the author is clearly more interested in e.g. the fairy politics, or the details of the magic system, or the biology of the alien parasites, or the history of the demonic cult, than in the events actually happening.
I strongly agree with this. But to shove my big butt in, hints and scraps of information give your world a sense of depth. Your heroes are exploring an abandoned temple. The reader doesn't need to know the entire history of the priesthood and what happened to them, but a even few snippets can make the setting feel more real. For example, from Dark Encounters:
Gazing at the carving in the stone column before him, Sligh grinned in satisfaction. Just as it should be, he thought to himself. The dual radiant discs confirmed that these ruins had indeed once been the Temple of the Two Suns. Fourth Empire, probably in the years of decline when the priesthoods had splintered and cult had fought cult. Few records remained from the time, but it seemed that the struggles had been even bloodier, even more bitter, than most civil wars.
And later, when he finds Avilia caught in a trap:
"Fourth Empire," he explained, looking over her head at the rounded curve of her buttocks. "Demon-binders were everywhere then. They loved to trap anything remotely secret or valuable. And here, in the Temple of the Two Suns? I'm surprised you weren't devoured when you shifted that slab upstairs."
That's pretty much all the background I give. It's necessary to the story, and presented (I hope) in a way that's non-intrusive and doesn't pull the reader out of the moment.

• Demanding too much commitment. If I wanted to read the next Wheel of Time I would go to a bookstore or library, not browse anonymously self-published smut on a free site. I guess some people do read Chapter 314 of The Barbarian Mage's Conquests or whatever, but personally I want something that wraps up as a reasonably short self-contained story. Which means you can't spend four (LE) pages just on setup.
In fact, no matter the overall length, I think getting the story moving quickly is important. A compelling fantasy story should be throwing interesting problems (which can be the novel concepts some of the other comments have mentioned) at the characters all the time, and having them come up with interesting solutions.
This is a big one. I think it's one reason why sword & sorcery lends it so well to Lit stories. Readers don't want to wade through chapters and chapters of world-saving heroics that get posted weeks apart. Keep your stories manageable and self-contained, with some payoff every time you publish. Introduce the action and some sexy bits early on, and let the characters develop slowly across multiple instalments.

All great points everyone. Deff will just march to the tune of the story. Lately I have been writing so many one-offs that are focused on the sex I just want to change it up and do something with substance. That prob means there is a lot of story vice sex.

Thanks for all the reference material too. I need to read some great stories from ya’ll to be anle tk gauge where I need to land.

What I'm looking for. It's a little difficult to explain. In fact, I look for this in both SFW and NSFW stories. In a nutshell, this is “something new.” My fetishes are on the BDSM spectrum, and if the author in his story described some kind of bondage device or sex toy that I had never heard of before, it’s a real treat for me. It's the same with fantasy; some unusual artifact with interesting properties or bizarre magic will capture my attention. But it should also be well thought out and realistic. Even if it is magic, magic should look logical, and not like a Deus Ex that solves all problems in an incomprehensible way.

If we talk about the plot itself. Then I would say that something in the format of an adventure trip would look good. This will allow you to add any number of places, events and characters on the protagonist’s path.
I also think that it is important from the very beginning to give the reader a clear and understandable goal for the characters to follow. This will be a guideline for you and will save the story from entropy and getting stuck.
To summarize the above, I had an idea about how several people accidentally end up in another galaxy. Now the protagonist needs to find his fellow victims and return to earth. You wrote about fantasy, but the space opera setting seems more attractive to me.

Also I want to ask which direction do you want to go?
Should it be something realistic and down to earth like Game of Thrones? Where sex alternates with adventures and battles.
Or or do you want something more fairytale/cartoonish where sex can be part of the adventure? Like something like this
I would vote for the second option.

And while I was writing this, I remembered one erotic adventure story that fascinated me. When new chapters came out, I jerked off before starting to read so that excitement would not distract me from the plot. I don’t know if it makes sense to provide a link because the story is not written in English. And the author left after the first story arc, presumably due to life problems. But if anyone is interested, I indulge in nostalgia and remember what this story was about.

I don’t understand why the part that I left under the spoiler doesn’t open.So this is it. This is about the story I read.​

It was a story about a virtual reality game. According to the plot, players can create their own classes (but usually these classes are less effective than the standard ones, so few people do this). The protagonist creates a class that is completely useless in combat, magic, healing, etc. The only thing it concentrates on is the impregnation of women, after which they give birth to minions who obey the protagonist. There is a moment in the story when the protagonist explains the essence of her class to the bot. The bot rejects this. And he has to contact a human moderator. There is a moment in the story when the protagonist explains the essence of her class to the bot. The bot rejects this. And he has to contact a human moderator. Details like these make the story more believable.
The ability only works on NPCs. The game administration is clearly not going to allow the impregnation of other players. The protagonist creates a secret hideout for himself, begins to kidnap NPCs and create his own small army.

Also in the story there is an interesting solution with immersion levels. When registering, players can select their dive level. With a higher level of immersion, players gain more experience but also experience pain more realistically. Also, below a certain level of immersion, players lose access to sexual content: they cannot see it, and their virtual avatars do not have genitals. Child players cannot select an immersion level higher than this level.

In addition to the main character's storyline, there are three more storylines.

There is a line of a woman who entered the game for sexual adventures. She chose the prostitute class, which focused on gaining buffs and stealing stats through sex. After some adventures, she joined the cult of a hedonistic god and received a quest to obtain the protagonist's sperm.

Dark Guild. The protagonist summoned a succubus for sex (the norm for the game). He cunningly captured a succubus and forced him to bear minions. When the succubus did not return, the demon lord gave a quest to the dark guild to find the succubus and find out what happened. There is a rather interesting description of their journey. Because the dark guild is outlawed, so they cannot use teleporters.

Thieves Guild. I don't remember what problems they had with the protagonist. But I really liked the counsel of the guild leaders. There are no windows or doors in the council chamber. You can only get there through a teleport. But the teleport will only work if the user brings with him an item obtained illegally: theft, robbery, etc. Therefore, the council chamber is filled with all kinds of treasures. Decisions at the council can only be made unanimously. If there is a disagreement, the parties will fight and the decision will be made by those who survived.

I also remember the description of one of the libs who smoked. The story mentions that the law prohibits VR games from simulating the effects of psychoactive substances such as alcohol or nicotine. Therefore, the smoking guy did not get any effect from the nicotine, only the stench, but the guy who smoked still irritated everyone else.

First thing first, I'd consider if Lit is the best site for your story. From what I read, you want fantasy with sex, not sex with fantasy.

What I'm looking for. It's a little difficult to explain. In fact, I look for this in both SFW and NSFW stories. In a nutshell, this is “something new.” My fetishes are on the BDSM spectrum, and if the author in his story described some kind of bondage device or sex toy that I had never heard of before, it’s a real treat for me. It's the same with fantasy; some unusual artifact with interesting properties or bizarre magic will capture my attention. But it should also be well thought out and realistic. Even if it is magic, magic should look logical, and not like a Deus Ex that solves all problems in an incomprehensible way.

If we talk about the plot itself. Then I would say that something in the format of an adventure trip would look good. This will allow you to add any number of places, events and characters on the protagonist’s path.
I also think that it is important from the very beginning to give the reader a clear and understandable goal for the characters to follow. This will be a guideline for you and will save the story from entropy and getting stuck.
To summarize the above, I had an idea about how several people accidentally end up in another galaxy. Now the protagonist needs to find his fellow victims and return to earth. You wrote about fantasy, but the space opera setting seems more attractive to me.

Also I want to ask which direction do you want to go?
Should it be something realistic and down to earth like Game of Thrones? Where sex alternates with adventures and battles.
Or or do you want something more fairytale/cartoonish where sex can be part of the adventure? Like something like this
I would vote for the second option.

And while I was writing this, I remembered one erotic adventure story that fascinated me. When new chapters came out, I jerked off before starting to read so that excitement would not distract me from the plot. I don’t know if it makes sense to provide a link because the story is not written in English. And the author left after the first story arc, presumably due to life problems. But if anyone is interested, I indulge in nostalgia and remember what this story was about.
I wanna know what those creatures are on page 11 and where I can find one.

You do bring up a good question that haunts me on how to approach this. How do you write a successful fantasy series on Lit without throwing sex in at every turn. Do you have to have sex in every chapter to be successful?
You write it like you would write anything involving humans and non-humans. You write about relationships. If the relationship leads to sex, put in sex. If it happens every chapter, put sex in every chapter. If it doesn't, don't put in sex.

It's probably easier to do that with a series rather than with a stand-alone short story, but still possible.

No, it just means you've reached the point I mentioned: you've read all you wanted, now you want to write.

At least, that's why I write.

Ohhhh the “wanted” is the part I missed. I subconsciously keep telling myself there is a minimum I need to have read to write something.

All five instalments of The Rivals, and for extra homework try The Countesses of Tannensdal. Anything else, by anyone else, is just a waste of time. :)

You forgot to add Fairytale of New York to that list. It's amazing. Don't think about the score. It's a bit lower than some of your other work because of the lack sex, and because some of the troglodytes cannot absorb what it's really about. I've read most of your work by now and I'd rank it second, after The Countesses of Tannensdal.

Back