Ending a writing hiatus

BobbyLaker

Just startin' out
[SPOILER: This is not a pity-me post!]

I'm a bit pissed off!

I began writing in the summer and after getting three stories published on here, real life stuff got in the way big time.

I've a number of WIPs which I'd love to get back to but just can't seem to clear the backlog of RL crap sufficiently to free up the mental side in order to starting writing again. I can find a little time but not with my head in the right mode.

Have you faced a similar situation and if so, how did you re-jig your Writing/RL balance in order to get going again?

Thanks,
Bobby

I feel you. I've just gone through a period of four months without posting a story, mostly with no writing at all. Real life got in the way for me as well, but ultimately real life is more important.

On the other hand, I've published two things this week, have another one already on the queue and may (just may) publish another one very shortly. I've done two things...

1) Look at stuff that came back from beta readers with perfectly reasonable suggested improvements - thought to myself, it's been nearly a year and I've still no inclination to improve this, so publish it and take my lumps if people don't like it (and whaddaya know, at least one currently has a H).
2) Write something short and completely new. I've got one 3k and one 4k funny (well supposed to be) fluffy piece that have got me back into the swing of things.

Next I have to look at my stalled novel (shiver...)

Unsure of how to respond.

"Pity party" mention seems like a rah rah cheerleading would go amiss.
can't seem to clear the backlog of RL crap sufficiently to free up the mental side in order to starting writing again.
This feels like "what should I cook for dinner tonight" question without having any idea what you have going on in your kitchen.

We can offer advice but much of it would be blind guessing and somethings only you can control/adjust to free up the time/mental space.
Have you faced a similar situation
I think we all can commiserate. Real life doesn't play nice with our creative wants. That's when we are forced to honestly prioritize our wants and our creative need.
and if so, how did you re-jig your Writing/RL balance in order to get going again?
Usually it's about sacrifice. As an example, I still have the pangs left over from when I was really into keeping up with popular tv & movies. But I just can't and write what I need to write at the same time.

I'm hesitant to suggest one of the many reading options on the subject b/c it feels like you might truly not have the time and it can be real hard to internalize the ideas (which are their own little conflicts) when you are already fighting wars on all fronts.

The Artist Way (Cameron) is the matriarch of the space but it gets pretty spiritual/ethereal which can frustrate if you are in a problem:concrete solution mindset.

War of Art (Pressfield) is a more masculine (i.e. problem solving) approach to creativity but it's definitely got some hard lessons that require real introspection and intellectual honesty.

Know that what you are experience part of all our process. (maybe a rare few don't but I'd argue many are simply glossing over the realities/have insane focus for the positives)

It's complex enough, there's a whole cottage industry of books on how to keep the mindset to write before you ever put pen to page.

I've a number of WIPs which I'd love to get back to but just can't seem to clear the backlog of RL crap sufficiently to free up the mental side in order to starting writing again. I can find a little time but not with my head in the right mode.
I can't speak for how it works for you, but maybe you're overthinking it. The more you think about something, the bigger it becomes in your mind, and the more difficult it is to prepare mentally.

Maybe just sit down with your computer (or whatever you write on) and write. Not with the intention of writing a story, or finishing a work in progress (because I can definitely see where that would require you to be in the right frame of mind). Simply write something. "What I did on my hols" or, for a more mature theme, "What I like about oral sex".

You might find it's easier than you think, easier than you've been telling yourself.

My advice mirrors the words of Winston Churchill. “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” For your specific situation, I would concentrate on your real life issues as long as necessary to get through them, keep your outlined stories in note and memory, and get back to them when you can. They’ll still be there when you can return to them and, hopefully, readers will too. It’s been the case for me, getting back into the story creation game after hiatus now and again in different genres over the years. Trust yourself as a creator, trust your audience to honor the work you put forth. And trust that the need to step away from it is also there at times. It’s the case for everyone.

Unsure of how to respond.

"Pity party" mention seems like a rah rah cheerleading would go amiss.

This feels like "what should I cook for dinner tonight" question without having any idea what you have going on in your kitchen.

We can offer advice but much of it would be blind guessing and somethings only you can control/adjust to free up the time/mental space.

I think we all can commiserate. Real life doesn't play nice with our creative wants. That's when we are forced to honestly prioritize our wants and our creative need.

Usually it's about sacrifice. As an example, I still have the pangs left over from when I was really into keeping up with popular tv & movies. But I just can't and write what I need to write at the same time.

I'm hesitant to suggest one of the many reading options on the subject b/c it feels like you might truly not have the time and it can be real hard to internalize the ideas (which are their own little conflicts) when you are already fighting wars on all fronts.

The Artist Way (Cameron) is the matriarch of the space but it gets pretty spiritual/ethereal which can frustrate if you are in a problem:concrete solution mindset.

War of Art (Pressfield) is a more masculine (i.e. problem solving) approach to creativity but it's definitely got some hard lessons that require real introspection and intellectual honesty.

Know that what you are experience part of all our process. (maybe a rare few don't but I'd argue many are simply glossing over the realities/have insane focus for the positives)

It's complex enough, there's a whole cottage industry of books on how to keep the mindset to write before you ever put pen to page.
Thanks for the reply... much food for thought.

You're right about lack of time for some of the 'deeper' reading you've referenced though I will bookmark for future reference.

Talking of food...
This feels like "what should I cook for dinner tonight" question
I get that too but generally resolve it easily enough :)

I can't speak for how it works for you, but maybe you're overthinking it. The more you think about something, the bigger it becomes in your mind, and the more difficult it is to prepare mentally.

Maybe just sit down with your computer (or whatever you write on) and write. Not with the intention of writing a story, or finishing a work in progress (because I can definitely see where that would require you to be in the right frame of mind). Simply write something. "What I did on my hols" or, for a more mature theme, "What I like about oral sex".

You might find it's easier than you think, easier than you've been telling yourself.
Thank you.

I should have made it clear that I've not lost the motivation or, indeed, the inspiration to write; I just need to carve out the appropriate slabs of time and ensure that my mental state is conducive to creativity.

It's like knowing the destination but not having a clue how to travel there.

I know things will turnaround in due course so looking forward to seizing the moment when the time is right.

Maybe a couple of Lit 1-pagers is the way to go before trying to get back to the longer WIPs.

Believe me... I have certificates in overthinking ;)

Thanks for the reply... much food for thought.

You're right about lack of time for some of the 'deeper' reading you've referenced though I will bookmark for future reference.
Fair enough. Still think you would see enough benefit (at least a path forward) with a thumb through of either. (choose you style preference)

War of Art sets up especially well as an audiobook if need be.

Popular enough many libraries should have it.
Talking of food...

I get that too but generally resolve it easily enough :)
I was more referencing how complicated the problem is, especially with the lack of information.

My real life obligations get in the way all the time. Therefore, I rise early, (5am) and write until eight. And once Jo comes home from work, she takes over the care of our child, and I write more. I do try to write some during the day, when Donnie and Cat are playing or sleeping, but primary time is 5 to 8 for paid work, 6 to 11 for me, for here, Amazon, and Smashwords.
[SPOILER: This is not a pity-me post!]

I'm a bit pissed off!

I began writing in the summer and after getting three stories published on here, real life stuff got in the way big time.

Have you faced a similar situation and if so, how did you re-jig your Writing/RL balance in order to get going again?

Thanks,
Bobby

I have a big backlog of completed stories, so I can continue posting regularly for some time, but my medical condition has slowed down my writing. I finished writing a story yesterday that I'd had in progress for a couple of weeks. That's not my normal. I usually wrap it up in a day or two. And my muse isn't giving me anything fresh to write about, which is strange. I've just come off a river cruise and such vacations usually give me several story hooks to develop.

You have an impressive volume of work @KeithD, and quality isn't bad from what I've read. I hope your health issues lessen so you can keep pounding away on the keyboard.
I have a big backlog of completed stories, so I can continue posting regularly for some time, but my medical condition has slowed down my writing. I finished writing a story yesterday that I'd had in progress for a couple of weeks. That's not my normal. I usually wrap it up in a day or two. And my muse isn't giving me anything fresh to write about, which is strange. I've just come off a river cruise and such vacations usually give me several story hooks to develop.

Commitments in the real world take precedence over writing. But one of my real life commitments is writing, cause bloggers got blog, and podcasters got cast. The podcast shit is the hardest, the blogger knows what they want, just want it said better than can and to done in an interesting way. But podcasters can't be trusted to have done their research well, so you have to check their facts before you commit them to a script. But if you don't require a lot of sleep, and the kid isn't pain, I can get a lot of my writing for me done.
Are you getting any sleep? Yes? That's what you're doing wrong, then.

RL commitments + sleep + writing. Pick two.

My wife is battling cancer. Also, because timing is everything, I was offered a promotion at work, one I've been offered twice before and turned down, but this time the offer was one of those cases of you have to look at the number twice because you think you saw it wrong. So I now have more headaches at work

One of those is the second shift guy is on vacation so I've been working a weird split shift.

This week I worked a first shift on Monday, then Tuesday took my wife to bloodwork, a cat scan, dropped her off and worked 10:30am to 10Pm. Had her at an 8am appt on Wednesday, and back to work for the same shift. Thursday I had to be in for 5am so I could leave at 3 to take her to see the surgeon and while in work she was at the hospital with my daughter getting a transfusion/infusion.

Writing has often helped me get through tough times, but there comes a time where it has to take a backseat, and it is what it is. Real life can't always be ignored. So suck it up and wait for things to settle down is all you can do.

Been there. Just before last Christmas, I entered what I would call a 'dark period'. But as I reviewed what I had published, I saw that darkness had been slowing creeping into my stories and poems. I opted to delete my lit account and wipe away all of my stories and poems (several of which had scores well over 4.7). Recently, I have come out into a better place, and signed up with Lit again. Yes, I do regret wiping away my prior work, and advise against it. If you do want to take time off, leave your previous work. If you want to go in a different direction, open a new account and start fresh there. Even if you cannot find time to write a complete story, it's fun to jot down the ideas for possible stories and let them develop in your mind. Always remember that you are writing for yourself, not the Lit audience.

My real life obligations get in the way all the time. Therefore, I rise early, (5am) and write until eight. And once Jo comes home from work, she takes over the care of our child, and I write more. I do try to write some during the day, when Donnie and Cat are playing or sleeping, but primary time is 5 to 8 for paid work, 6 to 11 for me, for here, Amazon, and Smashwords.
That's one heck of a schedule @MillieDynamite
Sincere admiration.

Yeah, erotic entertainment isn’t my paying job either. I’m a factory mid-level manager, also an avid concertgoer and video game enthusiast. I have a dating life I hope to resume soon too- maybe someday I’ll have a wife again, and children. I have put my hobby of writing smut aside for such things before. I don’t think I will ever be ashamed of it enough to give it up entirely. It’s a great gift to be good at writing smut, even if it’s one not every moral tradition accepts. :D

Back